The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Call Before You DIG" - SERIOUSLY

As a PSA to CoTHer's, here is a gentle reminder to call your utility compaines before you dig.

Ask me how I know this.

I have new 6' high pipe stock fence being put up. I personally started all the holes, as I KNOW where all the new gas & telephone lines are buried. Uhm, & it is rather obvious by the naked trenched earth.

So, one of the guys just had to hit one of my telephone cables anyway. Thank goodness he only hit the buried 3 line cable & not the 5 line one the internet runs on.

After that stunt, the gas company is coming out to FLAG their line; as obviously I do not trust someone on the work crew to be able to tell what a near freshly dug trenchline looks like.

Anyway, BE SAFE & call your local utility companies to come mark your lines. They do not charge to come mark.
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; Mar. 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: grammar as always
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

It's not just the "experts" who can wreck havoc - my neighbor cut my phone line twice while building her house - and it was marked!

My ex drilled thru the water line putting in a wash rack.
    He also backed the golf cart into the water main and broke it, stepped on pipes in the attic and flooded the barn, backed into the garage door before it was fully opened denting it and tearing it off the track, drove over a saw he left in the driveway and, flipped the tractor over... emphasis on EX
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

After they mark it, take pictures that include some good points, like a corner post or the highline pole or the house or barn, so you can later again tell where those lines are.

That is what we have done, but still call anyway if we will be anywhere close to those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by baysngreys View Post
    It's not just the "experts" who can wreck havoc - my neighbor cut my phone line twice while building her house - and it was marked!

My ex drilled thru the water line putting in a wash rack.
    He also backed the golf cart into the water main and broke it, stepped on pipes in the attic and flooded the barn, backed into the garage door before it was fully opened denting it and tearing it off the track, drove over a saw he left in the driveway and, flipped the tractor over... emphasis on EX
    Yikes! Thank God he's an ex!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

3 such stories here.
    We sold a property a few years ago that had a gas line running along the front edge of it, within the existing though imaginary fence line. People we sold it to were digging post holes and my hubby just happened by. They were digging just about on top of the line! Being a "city farmer" he apparantly had never heard of CALL OKIE, which is the organizion here in OK.

Neighbor across the road put in new cow fence. Now, I am not real sure what the cows are supposed to eat in the property he fenced but none the less, he put in fence. His problem, not mine. He put in a nice pipe corner. Right on top of the phone line. Had it fixed once. Then the fool did something else at the corner and cut it AGAIN!

A friend of ours who does minor tractor work for friends and sort of for money was digging something for a friend. Hit a gas line. Nobody had called to check for lines.

Call first, dig later!!

Oh, and then we had someone come put in a water line for us. (Thinking it would be less work than my husband doing it himself like he usually does.) Our main electric feed from pole to barn runs across where the water line had to cross. He flagged where it was. Told them to hand dig that area so as to not hit it. Silly us thought they had until a couple months later when we had an electrical problem. So not only did they cut a hole in the side of my arena with their trencher and put a hydrant in that hasn't worked right since installed, they also cost us about a thousand dollars to dig it up and replace. AND it was conduit!!

the "experts" can be wrong also.... while working at DFW Airport we had the "experts" mark before drilling holes for a crash barrier fence on the Northwest haul road .... looked into one hole to see an exposed 10" high pressure aviation fuel line that the drill missed by centimeters....

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    the "experts" can be wrong also.... while working at DFW Airport we had the "experts" mark before drilling holes for a crash barrier fence on the Northwest haul road .... looked into one hole to see an exposed 10" high pressure aviation fuel line that the drill missed by centimeters....
    Right, last fall we were putting in a cattleguard in a fence line by the phone line.
    I called and the marker flagged the phone line on one side of the fence I know is not.
    I know where it is, I saw them put that line in 30 years ago.
    I was just calling because it is the law.
    Sure enough, we went easy around there and found the line where I had told him it was, not where he flagged it 3' away.

You just have to be careful anywhere close to a line.