The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Microchipping

Does anybody microchip their horses? It seems like it would be a great way to keep track of your horse, really help finding stolen horses and possibly save some from going to slaughter. It's also much cheaper than I thought ($20 seems well worth it). But I can see the problem that so few people do this so nobody is CHECKING for the chip, rendering it useless. It seems silly that we have to do things like brand inspections and interstate health certs yet don't microchip. What are your thoughts?
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I have all three of my horses microchipped. My 3 year old German Verband Oldenburg was microchipped when I bought him. I guess a lot of breed registries are microchipping now instead of the traditional branding. I put the microchip # on all my coggins and health papers. I have the chip put in in the middle of their neck up by the mane. It's more peace of mind for me; knowing if they are ever stolen I can prove they belong to me. And it is very inexpensive so it was a no brainer for me.

My Dad is a large animal Veterinarian and one of his clients was going thru a nasty divorce a few months ago. Her Ex stole 3 of her horses and tried to pass them off as his. Since she had them microchipped she could 100% prove that the animals belonged to her. The Sheriff was involved; it was a huge mess.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Corgigirl14

I microchipped our dogs and horses. It is easy to do and not very expensive.

2 of my 3 are chipped (didn't make sense to chip the 25 year old mini). For me, it's just so that I have something proof-wise to fall back on if they are stolen. Remy is brown with no identifiable white markings. Pics wouldn't help much at all in his case.

I had Cloudy microchipped when i bought him over 10 yrs ago.

Before that, I had my vet tattoo all my dogs and cats on the stomach with "reward" and my GA DLN. Note to self: hair grows back on cats' stomachs. (The labs which buy stolen dogs and cats will shave stomach before cutting them open usually.)

I do not know about horse recovery by using scanners, but last year over at Fort Stewart here in GA, a dog was turned in to be euth-ed at animal control. The dog was scanned first. It had disappeared from Brooklyn NY 7 yrs ago. The owners were found, and the little girl, now in her early teens, was reunited with her dog.

Don't forget to tell Home Again or whichever service you use when you change phone #s or move your residence.

I live in hurricane country and most owners around here are micro-chipping, as do I. Even with photos many horses look similar and the chip is good proof of who's who when you want to get your horse back should he get displaced.

I am also in hurricane country and am in the process of getting all of mine done before this year's season.(waiting for 2 to foal before chipping them). I also attach the tag with the chip # on it to their halters during storms.

When you have 35-50 babies a year and 1/2 of them are Bay...micro-chipping can come in handy to remember who is who!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

My breed registry requires microchipping prior to evaluation. I am a big fan of chipping.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Microchipping is but one more way to identify horses, why not use it also?
    Here, the first line of defense in identifying your horse is a visual brand, as that can be seen with your bare eye, no reader needed.
    Chipping is also recommended, as are clear photographs you can e-mail to the inspectors immediately if your horse is missing.

Both of mine are microchipped.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Next time the vet's out I'm chipping my grey. I live in hurricane country. I've always had horses with paint markings, so I figure a picture of me with the distinctively-marked beastie is good enough for ID purposes.

But Houdini? He's a 15.1 hh flea-bitten grey QH. The only distinctive thing about his appearance is a split nostril (which I tell people happened when his nose ring got yanked out in a bar fight but really? No idea - it was that way when I bought him.)
    So him, I'm going to chip.

Mine are chipped. I'm even thinking about chipping my saddle. It's a cheap and easy way to confirm ownership, so why not? I have yet to hear of a negative impact of a microchip.

In 2009 at the Pennsylvania GOV insection, a mare was presented with a foal for approval. Her story was this: found at the kill pen, clearly warmblood, bad shape, GOV volunteered their chip reader and Voila! a pedigree and a name. Original owner was happy to let her go to the rescue home which was able to recover the papers with the proof from the microchip.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Not only microchipped, but a 360 video of him as well.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post

Before that, I had my vet tattoo all my dogs and cats on the stomach with "reward" and my GA DLN. Note to self: hair grows back on cats' stomachs. (The labs which buy stolen dogs and cats will shave stomach before cutting them open usually.)
    Wait, what? What labs are these, and why are they cutting open random cats and dogs?

All of mine are chipped, and a fair amount of my clients horses are too. I have one that I microchipped almost 17 years ago now (I honestly can't remember when I did it, I remember I was, um, quite a bit younger than I am now lol!) Whenever microchipping dogs first became mainstream. Scanned her the other day and it still shows up.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

My dogs are chipped, and I did my horse a few years ago after the massive wildfires we had caused evacuations and some owners never located their horses. Even though my horse has some pretty distinct markings, I feel better knowing she is chipped and can be traced to me should something happen.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I had both Trav and Rico chipped, need to do Inky. It definitely gives peace of mind knowing that they can be traced back to me if they should get loose or be stolen.

They're both OTTB's and registered to me on the JC interactive, but lip tatoos can be so hard to read sometimes that I feel better about having the chip.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My horse is microchipped (KWPN does that instead of branding). It's certainly something I'd consider doing if he wasn't...for the price it seems like good insurance.