The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default JJ Tate's Wedding Announcement

Did anyone else read that announcement (out here, on the Chronicle)? I just had to sigh when I saw her comment about when it's the right guy, "you just know it." Hmmm...never met that guy myself. I've been in loved, but never wanted to marry the guys because I knew it would be a terrible thing in the long run for both of us.

Just curious, how many have "just known?"

(I'm trying to keep this horse related. )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Well, somehow I "just knew" when I saw Lucky's picture on the FLTAP trainer listings--but as far as men go? Still waiting on that one!

I was married twice (4-5 years each time) before I met Mr. Right. I thought I was doing the right thing with those first two, but when I met my DH (married now 20 years and been together 23 years) I can tell you that yes, I could just tell. It was like a curtain had been lifted on life.

Oh, and he used to ride with me and does wonderfully in putting up with all our horses and my horse nonsense.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I've "just known" TONS of times - with horses and men. Then the relationship gets longer than 2 weeks and I realize that just because he's a long tall drink of water doesn't mean the personalities mesh. Can be the prettiest horse in the barn but if he's a push ride it won't work out. I think "when it's right you just know" works, but when you put a timeline on when you just know... I start to get suspicious because knowledge by definition is something that is learned, and it takes longer than just one look to learn something. There's also a difference between someone being your love and someone being the "right" one.

To keep it horse related, I bought an OTTB off the internet. I loved that horse like a fool. But we parted ways bc I couldn't afford him no matter how much I tried at the time, and we should have parted ways much if I had been really serious about "riding" because he was always injured, etc.

It's funny how much my horse relationships have paralleled my romantic relationships, come to think of it.

Yes, I just knew. Even though he doesn't like horses much - thinks their teeth are too big - he never says a word about the time or money spent.

I "just knew..." (He was a little slow...had to steal him from somebody...), and 28 years later I still know!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Yes, I just knew. Even though he doesn't like horses much - thinks their teeth are too big - he never says a word about the time or money spent.
    You mean he thinks they resemble Nancy Kerrigan?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I 'just knew' when I met him in 1980 and started dating in 1981. He didn't think it was possible so after 2 1/2 years we broke up. We reconnected in 2008 and it only took seeing me again for him to 'just know' that I was the one he was always supposed to have been with. Lucky for us both, I was still available! We've been back together for 2 1/2 years (again!) and this time will be forever.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I've never just known, but then not all of us are destined to have an SO.

Re: knowing that you'll marry a certain person, however, I've heard many stories of that happening. Straight out of "Some Enchanted Evening"!

I heard PP say that he knew he'd marry LP.

I think it's sweet to hear the stories, with JJ will just have to wait about 20 years to see if it lasts. (Maybe even only a couple of years will tell. ) I hope for her sake it works.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I've been with my boyfriend for about four years now and it's easy to tell since he talks about building a farm someday and he doesn't even like the horses. He calls them high and unstable but he still comes out to watch me ride He also didn't run away when I started talking about how much they cost
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

dghunter, sounds like he's a keeper!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I think it's sweet to hear the stories, with JJ will just have to wait about 20 years to see if it lasts. (Maybe even only a couple of years will tell. ) I hope for her sake it works.
    I'm more interested to see how the Haddad marriage works out.

Talking

I just knew after about a week. That was 42 years ago.

Right now, we're sitting in front of a roaring fire with books and wine and computer and cats while the wind smashes sleet against the window.

I feel like I "just know" but unfortunately for me, he has a girlfriend of a few years!

Any of the guys I dated, I definitely haven't had that feeling.

My horse however...the first time I rode her, I just knew! It's been years now and she's still the love of my life!