The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sir Gregory

Does anyone know what this horse's temperament is like is like? Rideability?

I have heard positive comments about him in all categories! Just look at those scores from his stallion licensing! In fact, I have decided to take the leap and breed my maiden mare to him!

I have not seen him in person but love him from his videos and pictures. I am expecting a Sir Gregory foal at the end of April so can give you some feedback on him/her when I do.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

He's out here in So Cal showing right now, and oddly enough his rider is staying at the hotel I work at. She said she absolutely loves riding him, although I didn't ask for specifics (not a dressage person). Though she was extremely flabbergasted when she found out I randomly knew who they were!

Where in SoCal is he showing?

The only time I have seen Sir Gregory under saddle was in Germany at Rastede as a three year old. The atmosphere there can get "beyond" crazy at times with jumping, vaulting, carriage horses all going on in a small area. He handled the atmosphere extremely well. That is saying a great deal for a three year old stallion.

This is in his mareline, but one of my trainers rode a Don Gregory gelding for me a couple of years ago, and recommended him to purchase. She said that she had found the Don Gregory offspring to have great AA temperaments.

In the end I decided not to import, so I can't say personally, but since you asked about temperament I thought I'd pass that second hand info along.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    This is in his mareline, but one of my trainers rode a Don Gregory gelding for me a couple of years ago, and recommended him to purchase. She said that she had found the Don Gregory offspring to have great AA temperaments.
    And interestingly, Sir Gregory is linebred to the dam of Don Gregory (his dam Premiere is the result of mating 2 half-siblings, Don Gregory with Pandora). Plus, SG has an additional line to Donnerhall through Sir Donnerhall. I would think that that strong line breeding to these particular horses would result in a very rideable and sensible horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    LAEC I think. I'm NW of there but they're training up here.

From the Oldenburg website:

February 9, 2011 - Dreamscape Farm's Sir Gregory is the Open High Score Champion at the Golden State Dressage Premiere Show

Jennifer and Armin Arnoldt of Dreamscape Farm were thrilled to report that their young Oldenburg stallion, Sir Gregory (Sir Donnerhall x Premiere (Don Gregory)), not only won all of his classes, but did it with excellent scores!

Jennifer reports, "We were very happy to hear that Sir Gregory had a really good show his first time out in California. At the Golden State Dressage Premiere Show at Rancho Murieta Equine Center, Sir Gregory under rider Dominique Culham-Buckland won all his classes at 1st level, the judges were FEI judges Joan Macartney and Lois Yukins. Sir Gregory not only won all his classes but he had the highest score of the division with a 73.51% which was the highest score of the entire show!

And interestingly, Sir Gregory is linebred to the dam of Don Gregory (his dam Premiere is the result of mating 2 half-siblings, Don Gregory with Pandora). Plus, SG has an additional line to Donnerhall through Sir Donnerhall. I would think that that strong line breeding to these particular horses would result in a very rideable and sensible horse.
    Yes. He has Donnerhall twice in the 3rd generation, and the Graphit daughter Granate twice in the 3rd generation. Here is his pedigree - http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=287458 .

I agree with everything Chris said. Getting Donnerhall doubled up with the G-line through Graphit? Nothing better in my book. Rideability plus a GREAT work ethic. He's on my short list!

This does not relate to Sir Gregory's temperament, but saw a half brother...as in same dam....by Sandro Hit go through the Oldenburg Licensing last November. This colt was licensed and was a very nice mover and beautiful stallion. The genes in that family are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosiadore Farm View Post
    This does not relate to Sir Gregory's temperament, but saw a half brother...as in same dam....by Sandro Hit go through the Oldenburg Licensing last November. This colt was licensed and was a very nice mover and beautiful stallion. The genes in that family are very good.
    And he was one of the higher sellers to at that auction. I believe he sold for 88,000 Euros. He was very pretty, a similar mover to SG, maybe not as good in the neck. IMHO.

Well, I have seen both in person and I actually think I preferred the Sandro Hit version. He is not yet under saddle, and nothing against Sir Gregory, but sometimes Sir Donnerhall is a better cross and sometimes the sire Sandro Hit.

I have seen him in person as Jennifer showed him to us and all I can say was WOW!!!!!! He was SUCH a GENTLEMAN in the barn and going out to work (he looooooooved getting his nose squished and smooched ). Then when she put him to work (lunged) he listened to her 100% and just......... FLOATED. I really really like this horse!!! Definitely one I will breed to in the not so distant future.

My 2 cents.

Glad to see he is getting such a jumpstart Granate's dam Aufnahme lived on our farm for a few years and according to my father she already had that lovely personality and temperament (having 50%+ refinement-blood that is something you really want to look for, the good brain with the performance blood).
    I closely know an awesome Sir Gregory - Rubinstein - Almeo yearling and he has got that temperament from both ends. Mellow without being dull, smart without being a smart---, Movement and conformation come on top. Love him

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    Glad to see he is getting such a jumpstart Granate's dam Aufnahme lived on our farm for a few years and according to my father she already had that lovely personality and temperament (having 50%+ refinement-blood that is something you really want to look for, the good brain with the performance blood).
    I closely know an awesome Sir Gregory - Rubinstein - Almeo yearling and he has got that temperament from both ends. Mellow without being dull, smart without being a smart---, Movement and conformation come on top. Love him
    So good to hear this about the offspring! I am eagerly awaiting my Sir Gregory x Idocus foal in June. I have heard nothing but good about Sir G, but have no personal experience.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    So good to hear this about the offspring! I am eagerly awaiting my Sir Gregory x Idocus foal in June. I have heard nothing but good about Sir G, but have no personal experience.
    So Dutch, is this the same Idocus mare that had the Sir Donnerhall in 2006 (from the other thread)? If so, that will be an interesting comparison (father vs son).

Love that stallion! (well from pics and video since I have not seen him in person)
    I have a Don Gregory mare who has the best temperament and rideability, so my experience with these bloodlines is a very positive one. The mare was shown to PSG/I1 but could've easily been a top hunter, it just wasn't my thing!
    Mare: http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=652059

I also got a lovely filly out of her by Sandro Hit, and she too has great rideability and a no-nonsense attitude, not at all hot as most would have predicted the SH to throw into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorienna View Post

I also got a lovely filly out of her by Sandro Hit, and she too has great rideability and a no-nonsense attitude, not at all hot as most would have predicted the SH to throw into the equation.
    FWIW, I have yet to personally deal with a hot SH offspring or grandkid. Mine are all quiet and if anything, a bit lazy.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net