The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I can name two...Courageous Comet and The Foreman, but I am sure that there are more.

I wish that there was a list of the horses going at the upper levels that contained a brief history of each.

Some people view a glass as half full - some view it as half empty ... I spill it!

I can name two...Courageous Comet and The Foreman, but I am sure that there are more.

I wish that there was a list of the horses going at the upper levels that contained a brief history of each.

Some people view a glass as half full - some view it as half empty ... I spill it!

I know that Sloopy, ridden and owned by John Williams, fits that bill!

Others?

Hmmm ...

I would suspect that Shannon Ewing's "Adrenaline Rush" probably raced, based solely on his entry into the dressage ring! (But I'm not sure about that.)

Robby

Take me to the river, drop me in the water
    http://community.webshots.com/user/rbjohnsonii
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Pretty much every advanced horse currently competing in NZ...!!! ;-)

I believe Wendy Lewis's Rampent Lion is an OTTB...Livingstone ridden by Hawley Bennett of Canada (top placed Canadian their first time around Rolex this year, on the Pan Am team this fall...)
    THose are the only two I can think of, but I'm sure there are many, many more!!!

~Jessica
    Personal slave to Newt, Image, and Dina!
    -Jessica

Mr. Big, and he's tiny too...Just ran at Fair Hill. She said he was too fit and was ready to race again! I think 3 Magic Beans is OT too, no?

My OTTB is going advanced. I got him 3 months off the track 3 yrs ago and he started advanced this spring. He also ran on the track until he was 6 1/2 so he ran quite a while.

I know of MANY OTTB running advanced....I would actually take a guess that at least haf of the upper level horses ran at some point.
    (athough i may be way off)

I may be mistaken, but isn't Rampant Lion of the Lion King line? if so...racing is not an option as Lion King is not registered. (don't shoot me if this is way off) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Johanna

"When you're galloping at the biggest cross-country jump in the world.....you can't hold back"
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Both my advanced and intermediate horses are OTTB's. Adrenaline Rush was owned by a friend of mine before Shannon and I am pretty sure he is not off the track. She bought him going intermediate and then took him intermediate or advanced herself before trading him to Shannon.

If you subscribe to the print version of the Chronicle, they list every horse that won at prelim or above in their eventing issue. You can take the names & parents shown plus their win record & pretty much (by using Brisnet & Delmar) figure out whether they are OT. At a minimum you can tell whether they are JC registered TBs.

A year or two ago, I went through the issue & was able to identify 100 horses (just 100 out of the whole list of several hundred) that were plainly JC registered. Some others were listed as TBs but the breeding didn't make sense so I didn't include them. Some horses that I know for a fact are registered TBs were listed as some other breed. I didn't include them, either, as they didn't include parents & I wasn't sure of the registered name.

Not all of these horses are running advanced but most of them are probably OT. Of course, many may be running advanced that haven't won & thus didn't appear on the list, either.

www.rougelandfarm.com Home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, ribbon-winner on the line at Dressage at Devon.

Rampant Lion is off the track and was a stakes winner. Also, Salute the Truth has done advanced and he is off the track as well. Hopefully with the new awareness the computer has brought to the racing industry (they now know we riding horse folks actually exist), the new sport horse database thru USEq, and the work of groups like Canter and The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, we will soon be able to track our OTTB's a bit better. JMO. It's already better than it was 15 years ago. Hollihorse

Horses will make a fool of you, it's only a matter of when, not if.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Full Tilt ridden and owned by Lesley Stevenson was raced for a few years. He just completed Fair Hill and is ready to go again!
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QHEventr:

I know of MANY OTTB running advanced....I would actually take a guess that at least haf of the upper level horses ran at some point.
    (athough i may be way off)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your guess would be off, as I've followed the breeding of the top 3-day eventers over the past few years, and many are acutally 3/4 or 7/8 bred. Especially when you consider all the good French team horses out there who are usually Selle Francais (combination of TB, anglo-arab and other SF) or Anglo-arabs. (and TB's too of course)

and the Irish horses very often have ID somewhere in their pedigree! plus many British horses have bits of pony or shire etc.

It would be interesting to see actually stats broken down, but you can get a good idea by going to the World Breeding Federation website to look at the top 100 event horses in the world.

think its www.wbfsh.org

It could be that DMK's purpose of life is only to annoy...
    You Strike Me Still

I was actually thinking more of the horses running in the states. Like I said....I may be off on that guess, but I do know that there are many more OTTB's running at the upper levels than people may think. It's not just the horses that get published and are the "top" that are running advanced. There are many more upper level horses out there that noone ever hears about.

Johanna

"When you're galloping at the biggest cross-country jump in the world.....you can't hold back"
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

I'd tend to agree with QH eventr, but only on the stats down here in NZ - I have no idea about the US stats.

The CCI** winner at Puhinui last year was a 14.3hh TB who was off the track as a 4yr old. His owner got him for free and tried to flick him on for $1000 straight away but nobody would buy him so she was stuck with him. He very quickly went through to advanced, before winning the 2*. The 3* winner was also an OTTB, who went on to compete at Burghley.

Taupo 2* winner was off the track, although the 3* winner was a home bred TB.

In NZ, of all the TB's eventing at 2* and 3* level, I would guess that 90-95% are OTTB's. There is such a huge surpless of TB's in this country, that it is the most logical (and cheapest) place for event riders to find their next star.

I'm pretty sure Reddy Teddy was off the track too, he was bought by Blyth Taits father for $5000 NZ (about $2500US) off a local pony club family and sent sight unseen to Blyth.

I am almost positive that Amy Tyron's My Beau is an OTTB.

Kerry Milliken got her horses off the track - Out & About was her most famous. Not exactly a horse the general public could ride, but he sure was a steller **** horse.

Even more than the big names, I can think of several up and coming riders from my area that have done Fair Hill and/or are going around advanced on OTTB's. Four come to mind right away.

Ted was definitely OTT.

The horse that makes my jaw drop, Leigh Smith's "High Cotton," was he OTT too?

Robby

Take me to the river, drop me in the water
    http://community.webshots.com/user/rbjohnsonii
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Amy Tryon buys her horses off the track so most, if not all, will be OTTBs. I believe Poggio and Woodstock are also OTTBs.

Don't forget the great Molokai was off the track. Dorothy's *** horse Red is off the track.