The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tall boot help

I'm thinking about buying myself a pair of tall boots. I'm looking for suggestions on brand, what kind of money I'll need to spend, and if I need to buy custom. I would really, really like to avoid custom, but that may be impossible. I need roughly an 18.5" height, 11.5" calf, and I'm a size 7.5 shoe. I don't know if I need this measurement, but my ankle is about 7.5".
    The boots don't need to be fancy, I won't be showing a lot. I won't be riding in them day to day, at most a few days a month with two horses. They don't need to be bullet proof, just hold up to light riding and last a long time! Thanks for the help.

Tredstep actually offers an Extra-Slim in their new da Vinci Field Boot so you might try those ...

Size Chart

Unfortunately it's rare to see an adult boot with a calf of less than 13in so you may want to look into buying a stock boot & having it taken in by an experienced boot maker: try on alot of boots to find a footbed that really fits & a leg contour as close as possible to your own leg.

If you decide to go custom, I'd want to be very sure that my calf size/foot size is not going to be changing soon ...
    (eg, going to have a baby soon, wait until after; going to take up jogging or rowing etc, wait until your muscles bulk up)

Those look nice! I may just have to wait a few months for those to be in stock

Anyone else have suggestions?