The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Difference between walk pirouette and turn on the haunches at the walk?

I tried to do a search but found several different answers. So tell me, what are the differences between the walk pirouette and a turn on the haunches at the walk?

On a side note, is there a good "dressage dictionary" resource/reference that explains the different terms? I know most of the terms but some of them start blending together (especially when they are in different languages).

Here's one.

http://www.dressage-academy.com/dressage-glossary.php

I'm not sure that it answers your question.

For the difference as far as competition is concerned, see the USEF Rule Book, DR 112

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2011/08-DR.pdf
    Last edited by Eclectic Horseman; Mar. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Thank you! This was 100% exactly what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    What great article! Thanks for posting.

And, also kind of inspiring that she managed to juggle that kind of a dressage/teaching/training career with an emergency room medical practice. Holy moly!

Hey, I just got lucky on Google. I'm enjoying the article, too. It certainly is well written.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I tried to do a search but found several different answers. So tell me, what are the differences between the walk pirouette and a turn on the haunches at the walk?

On a side note, is there a good "dressage dictionary" resource/reference that explains the different terms? I know most of the terms but some of them start blending together (especially when they are in different languages).
    The rule book is a pretty good place to start, for both your questions.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post

Difference: size & collection of the walk

In addition to the description of the usef....the toH is a preparatory exercise to a w.p. It helps to assure that the horse learns to remain active, if p is done too early the horse easily learns to miss steps.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    In addition to the description of the usef....the toH is a preparatory exercise to a w.p. It helps to assure that the horse learns to remain active, if p is done too early the horse easily learns to miss steps.
    Helpful distinction. Sometimes though, people forget that the directive for riding TOH in a test from medium walk is to shorten the stride in the walk and then TOH. The result is typically either a half-circle, a turn on the middle or a half-pass around a half-circle, none of which are correct.