The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Kicking it retro style??? Does it hurt?

A while back a woman on here posted recent pics of herself in rust breeches and a gray hunt coat winning reserve champion at a show.

Do judges these days penalize people for wearing outdated colors? Not in jumpers obviously.. but in more subjective classes?

I'd think that an over 40 judge would get a kick out of rust colored breeches. (BTW.... Everybody loves them!! Time for a comeback!!!!)

Or would it be like wearing white shoes after Labor Day? Too gauche!

Just curious...
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

That pic may have been me, I love showing in my rust breeches and brown boots, and I even do it on my screaming sorrel overo paint. Showing to me is for fun, and yes, while I chased points last year, it was really more for me to just go out and have fun. I ended up year end champion so I don't think it hurt too much. Only had one judge tell me not to show in front of him in rust, so later when I did I wore puke green breeches and a green coat instead

This year the rust will be back, along with the brown boots. I even have a full cheek bit on my mare right now!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1080778.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1080766.jpg
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

If judges have to decide their pinning order on fashion, I don't think they should be judging. My suggestion for fashion in the ring is this: If you can get 8 perfect fences, wear something that the judge will remember. If you're not sure you can nail the round, wear what everybody else is wearing, and maybe your lousy round will be mistaken for a winning round by someone else wearing navy coat, white shirt, & beige breeches.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Only had one judge tell me not to show in front of him in rust, so later when I did I wore puke green breeches and a green coat
    SRSLY??? I'd report the judge. Unless it was a classic when 'tradional hunt attire' should be worn, I'm not aware of ANY rule that says rust is not allowed (and rust is traditional anyhow). Any judge showing prejudice for a color of breech, will likely count off for safety helmets.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I still want to know where I can FIND rust breeches under $100 these days! My old pair finally died and I MISS THEM!!

YES!! MPW. That was you. I thought you looked SO awesome in those pics. My trainer thought I had gone insane when I told her people were showing in rust breeches and now she wants to put her whole IEA team in them!

I love the puke green with a green coat! I just ordered a used coat on line, but it's a bit tight.

So I'm upping the yoga and hoping for the best.

All my favorite riders in '89 rocked the equestrian leprechaun and looked fabulous! So, now 20 years later, I think that would be a GREAT idea.

Not that I'll be doing "real" shows. But still, I think the 40 plus judges would get such a kick out of the rust breeches.

Besides GM recommends them in his book.
    ==================

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I think my user name tells you where I stand on this!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

There's a kid in our area who showed all last summer in ponies in rust jods, navy coat and red hairbows(?)...she won almost every time out.

So, based on this skewed sample, we need to petition On Course and other inexpensive brands to bring back the rust breeches and tell the AHSA to get on board!!!

WE WANT RUST BACK!!!
    ==================

Quote Originally Posted by Chaila View Post
    So, based on this skewed sample, we need to petition On Course and other inexpensive brands to bring back the rust breeches and tell the AHSA to get on board!!!

WE WANT RUST BACK!!!
    YES!! YES YES YES!!

I've shown hunters in mine plenty of times and generally been pinned according to the quality of my ride.

It didn't even occur to me that this was strange until Mr. Trixie wanted to know what the heck I was wearing.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

My DD wears rust all the time for the hunters and pins according to the quality of their round.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=f8d28b18.jpg

Danny Robertshaw's picture was in COTH wearing rust breeches when he was champion in the hunters at a major AA show, can't remember which one, and one of the Young Hunter year end championships was won by a pro wearing rust as well, also pictured in COTH.

Rust is traditional and as far as the judge who told someone not to wear it again, the judge was wrong, I wouldn't even want to show in front of such ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    That pic may have been me, I love showing in my rust breeches and brown boots, and I even do it on my screaming sorrel overo paint. Showing to me is for fun, and yes, while I chased points last year, it was really more for me to just go out and have fun. I ended up year end champion so I don't think it hurt too much. Only had one judge tell me not to show in front of him in rust, so later when I did I wore puke green breeches and a green coat instead

This year the rust will be back, along with the brown boots. I even have a full cheek bit on my mare right now!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1080778.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/P1080766.jpg
    I love the rust breeches w/your horse and wish more people would do that with paints & other horses of color... I personally like the very classic look of black (or darker grey) w/ the rust..

If you want to really kick back old school - get a nice tweed (there are some lightweight ones out there) to wear w/ rust breeches and brown boots - make sure the brown are field!
    you'll be stylin

How about light gray breeches? I have a dilemma. I have lost about 30 pounds recently, and the only breeches that fit are OLD. It's a good and bad problem at the same time. I have one pair of older tan, but the rest are schooling colors. I have the darker khaki, and the gray, and that's about it other than black! I have a two-day schooling show this weekend. I was planning to wear the tan with a blue coat one day and a black coat the next. Could I swing the black coat and light gray breech for a schooling show??

And mypaint, LOVE the pictures. I think you both look fabuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    There's a kid in our area who showed all last summer in ponies in rust jods, navy coat and red hairbows(?)...she won almost every time out.
    <3 love this - I wish my kid would agree to this (no hairbows though) but she hates them

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    My DD wears rust all the time for the hunters and pins according to the quality of their round.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=f8d28b18.jpg
    I love them with the brown coat.... I have two pair of rust breeches and a brown coat and an up coming show. HMMMM!

I got one of my rust breeches on ebay for $33.00 Harry Halls even! Love them.

I did show at an A show in Canary breeches and got two seconds, and two thirds in four classes.... had people complement me on the color.

I also wear my rust for schooling and when I go to the tack store people ask me where I got them. And I have had trainers say they love them.

I also vote for a rust comeback!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

The funny thing is my horse is black and white, and would probably look lovely with some dove gray breeches and my black coat.

But I wanna wear GREEN dammit! Or rust and navy.
    ==================

I just scored a brand new pair of rust Harry Halls!!!!! Now that I have a bay, I will be rockin' the rust this show season. I also have a pair of dove gray TS that I wear with a navy jacket, and it looks stunning! I will wear the navy jacket and a white shirt with the rust to look "old school".....and I am old school......I wore rust breeches with a forest green jacket (w/velvet lapels no less) as a teen, and I am helping rust make a comeback Can you tell that I like to stand out and be different
    Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

I want to rock the rust this year... I'll be showing a lovely lightly dappled grey mare. And I want one of the black on black plaid coats. I just need to find some of the stuff in my price range... and all the ebay/clearance rust breeches are sz24... I'm a 28 (I hope I still am anyhow)

C'mon breeches companies... I'm tired of puke green.