The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Home Pet Euthanasia

Last week, we had our dearly beloved Bassie Hound put to sleep here on the farm. No longer did she have the energy to walk. No longer did she have the desire to eat. No longer was she comfortable to even breathe.

We contacted a local in home pet euthanasia provider/vet. The entire experience was wonderful and peaceful. Our beloved angel went to sleep on a bright, peaceful, and warm sunny day. She went to sleep in my arms with tears streaming down my face.

If you are not aware, there are many practices around the country that do this. Just google it. While I hate the thought of losing another pet, it is comforting to know that there is such a service. I highly recommend it to anyone considering euthanizing their pet at home.

Rest In Peace Miss Maybelline. Thank you to the wonderful vet and service she provided to us! I can't thank her enough.
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

I am very sorry for your loss

Several years ago I had my cat of 18 years euthanized at home. He was just old and frail and I didn't want to put him through a ride to the vet and being scared. He died peacefully on my kitchen floor.

I have another cat that is 19 years old and will probably cross the bridge this year. He will also die peacefully at home like Fuz did It is the least that I can do for them after being with us for so long.

All my animals are buried in the pet cemetery on my property. Everyone passed peacefully at home except one who was euthanized on the operating table.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Sorry for your loss.
    Rest in Peace Maybelline.

I am lucky in that my vet will come to the farm when it's time for my beloved doggies to cross the bridge.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I have a small animal vet who will gladly -- in fact, prefers to -- come to my home to put down any ailing pets. Sooo much less stressful for everyone involved, it really is the best option. My two horse vets also do small animals, and have absolutely no issue with coming to the farm to put a beloved pet to sleep, horse or no.

I wonder if people even know it's an option, to ask your horse vet? Or is it just unusual and specific to my area that most horse vets also do small animals? Although even horse-specific vets should be able to put down an ailing dog or cat.

Until this experience, I hadn't thought of asking my horse vet to put down our small animals. After this experience, I will ask him if he would consider doing so.

It was incredibly peaceful knowing that I was making the right decision and have a vet carry out our wishes. There is no guilt. There is no second guessing what we did. Just peace knowing she is at rest.

I will ask my horse vet if he does this as a service. If not, I know that there is a local vet will come to the farm to do it. It is a huge sense of relief.

Thank you for all of your support. It really hit me this week that she isn't here. Miss Maybelline, you will always be in my heart.

Yes, we are getting a puppy in a month. Beatrix has huge paws to fill. Aunt Bea will continue in Maybelline's paw prints. One bassie hound to another!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

In home is always my preference, especially if it is a planned event.

We even had one of the horse vets euthanise a chicken during a farm call. She said THAT was a first.

By the way, Maybelline was a great name for a Basset. RIP Maybelline.

I have already talked to my vet about my senior dog, and he will come to the house but unfortunately their practice needs 24 hours notice. He says someone might be able to come the same day, but they can't promise it because of scheduling.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

My neighbours and two of my friends down the street use different vets, but both came to the house to put their beloved dogs to sleep. No stress for the dogs and I believe also less stress for the owners. Two of the vets were very professional, let the owners carry the dogs to the back of the van. The 3rd one was from the same practice my friend used, but not her regular vet, and she was upset at how callous the vet was to just grab a garbage bag to throw the dog in. The others wrapped the dogs in blankets.

In my case, one was an emergency euthanasia, but very professional and calm and the second was planned in the morning for an afternoon appointment. Again, calm, in our presence and we had time with the dogs before and after. However, I stopped using that vet because I thought her mentioning all the trips she could now afford to go on and send her parents on, with my dead dog on the table, and charging me $400 for it... I wanted to say "have a good trip" when I paid the bill!

I've had the vet come here several times over the years. So much nicer for everyone involved, and far less stressful for the animal.

Just a suggestion, if you can't set up an in-home euthanasia, ask the vet if he will perform this service in your vehicle, in the parking lot. I did this once and it was very peaceful for our dog.

I know my small animal vet would come if I asked her to, but it is a credit to her practice that all of mine consider a visit to her office as a fun outing, and I've never had to ask this of her. She will always schedule a euth for the afternoon that I call, she has always known that they are pending, and takes whatever time is needed, last thing in her day.

I don't know how she does it, but am profoundly grateful to the practice for it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

We had our GSD put to sleep at home. She was not one who liked to go to the vet's office, so most procedures were done by our "horse vet" anyway. Knowing the end was near I spent sleepless nights agonizing over how to "peacefully" put her down here at home. I couldn't bear the thought of a struggle!! I ended up giving her a shot of Ace when the vet was 20 minutes out. (She didn't mind ME doing things to her). When the vet quietly entered our home and gave the injection it was very peaceful - if not horrifically painful to ME!! And my vet always sends condolense cards and at Christmas time, one of the tecs makes Memorial ornaments with the names of pets that were lost during the year then sends the ornaments to the pet owners. A nice touch!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I didn't know about this either until very recently. I'm so glad the vet I use will offer this when the time comes for my senior Dalmatian.

So sorry about your beloved doggie.

So sorry about your Maybelline.

This thread brings back memories of having my Mak PTS almost two years ago now. Call was made in the am and my vet came in the early afternoon. It was very peaceful and he and the tech were pretty fantastic about the whole thing. They gave us all the time we wanted and were extremely respectful in all manners. It was the best way to handle the toughest thing I've ever had to do.

I will say that it was not inexpensive though. I think the bill was $800 including cremation. No wonder Mak's last car ride was in a very expensive luxury car (appropriately fine German engineering for a fine German dog!). I considered asking my large animal vet for the next time.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I have a small animal vet who will gladly -- in fact, prefers to -- come to my home to put down any ailing pets. Sooo much less stressful for everyone involved, it really is the best option. My two horse vets also do small animals, and have absolutely no issue with coming to the farm to put a beloved pet to sleep, horse or no.

I wonder if people even know it's an option, to ask your horse vet? Or is it just unusual and specific to my area that most horse vets also do small animals? Although even horse-specific vets should be able to put down an ailing dog or cat.
    My horse vet put down my maltesepoodle she was coming to the farm that day for the horses and I just asked if she minded putting our elderly dog down while she was here...she had no problems with it........I found it much more personal and comforting to have my equine vet do it.......probably due to the fact that I see my horse vet WAY MORE than my small animal vet.......!!!

Dalemma

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. It is one of the most difficult things to do as pet owners. It still makes me sad to come home and have no bassie hound here. It always makes me leary to have that discussion with my vet. I guess, in part, due to not being "in love" with my vet. I have yet to find one that is like my horse vet. I like the small town, back woods, practical, farm-type feel that some of the vets seem to have. Some vets, it is too professional. Others are too toucy feely. Others yet want to pull all of the stops out.

I have yet to find one here that is like minded and will have that frank discussion with me about options. I know my vet is out there somewhere. When my new puppy comes home, I will take her to another vet in town. I will ask about this when I meet with the new vet. I want everyone on the same page as far as levels of care go. I want a vet that will respect my wishes. I want to feel comfortable enough to ask for the vet to euthanize my animal without me having to "beg" for it, if you know what I mean. I don't want a thousand tests done when it is just time to go.

This has been very healing for me. I am so sorry for everyone's losses and difficult experiences. It isn't the death part that is so hard sometimes, it is the events leading up to it that can be agonizing for me and my pet.

Thank you all once again. This has been very comforting! And eyeopening!

Thank you for sharing this. I had never thought of it or heard of it. My dog is 14 years old and he hates going to the vet and trembles the whole time. When it is his time, I will definitely opt for in home. I'm glad you had a chance to have a nice peaceful goodbye. It's the least we can do.

Default DIY euthanasia?

I'm ashamed to say I wasn't there for the dispatches of the cats we owned as a kid, so I have a question:

It euthanizing them simple enough that the vet can just give me the syringe and I can do this myself at home? Or do I need to be able for find a vein on a cat? I suppose I could do that, but perhaps not with the skill and grace of a professional.

When the time comes for my old lady cat, I am committed to make this peaceful for her. If I can spare my great and busy vet a house call, it's all good.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I had to put my beloved Abby to sleep on Jan 3 of this year, after having her for 16 years. I had them come here to the house. Abby hated the vet clinic and I didn't want her last moments to be anxious or fearful or in a place she was uncomfortable. They charged me a farm call and were super nice and professional and did not rush or crowd me. Abby looked God-awful the last few days and they didn't judge me either (that last week she stopped eating and last two days she wouldn't drink either). The hard part was handing her over to them after she was gone so she could be cremated. She's my first pet to cremate and I am glad I did. I just couldn't have buried her. =( I just couldn't.

Sorry for your loss. It's terribly hard. But it's very good to have it done at home, with family around and no fear at all.

MVP-I think one that is competent about needle sticks and administering drugs would be able to do, albeit, not easily. It is emotionally difficult and not something I would do to my own animal unless it was an emergency. Then, we would use our back up plan.

Talk to your vet. Some might be comfortable with giving you the medications with strict instructions. It is something I would actually like to have on hand to prevent this situation in the future....having to coordinate the time with the vet. It would be so much more humane for all involved if the meds were on hand. A stethescope would be necessary to double check for heartbeat.

I would talk with your small animal vet first to see if he/she would come to your house. I would ask about the meds and procedure to see if it is possible to do it at home yourself. I know others will get upset and disagree with this idea. If your small animal vet won't help you, talk to your horse vet. That might be the other option.

Talking about at home euthanasia is difficult. Others don't think of it. Others can't bear the thought. I will be prepared next time. An emergency, true emergency, we will deal with.....the slow lingering, it's time misery, I want the pet to go to sleep in my arms with me crying and my heart breaking. At home is the only way for me in the future.

Thank you all once again. It is never easy, but it is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It euthanizing them simple enough that the vet can just give me the syringe and I can do this myself at home? Or do I need to be able for find a vein on a cat? I suppose I could do that, but perhaps not with the skill and grace of a professional.
    It's a regulated substance. No one wants syringe fulls full of euthanasia drug floating around the public.