The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feuertanzer Trakehner Stallion

Hi there.I have the opportunity to maybe purchase some Feuertanzer frozen semen here in NZ. The mare is a full Trakehner. What Im wondering is if anyone on here has foals and if anyone has had experience with using frozen semen from him.Any feedback would be much appreciated.

No foals from him, but there are a TON of them around as it was given away as a free stud fee. I can't help you with semen quality, but can tell you the foals look nothing alike--they really seem to take after the mare. So, he's a good stallion if you want the baby to be like the mare.

What Beentheredonethat said - also he had lost his ATA approval as he did not complete his performance requirements in time (I believe this was due to an injury). I think he was only approved CTS?? Or maybe also Canadian Warmblood?
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I have a coming 4 year old by him - I'll echo what has been said already in that his offspring take after the mare in looks, structure, etc. I have to say though that even though my broodmare isn't exactly the prettiest (she's a more masculine looking TB) her son is an improvement in movement and build. Feuertanzer added a more uphill build.
    So I would say that if you want to improve what you already have in your mare, then he's a good choice. I bred while he was still alive, so I can't speak to his frozen semen quality though.
    There are a couple of pics of my gelding on my website - PM me if you want the link since I'm not sure if it's cool with the Mods if I post it here
    Good luck!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

How strange - I have a Feuerfoal and have seen many others. From what I have seen he stamps his get.....YMMV

He added height/length of leg and a beautiful head and neck to my mare (an APHA mare). I started the filly late last year and she is smart, brave and athletic.

He has a couple of approved daughters, one of whom is doing well eventing. Owners of his offspring seem to be uniformly happy with what he produced from a wide variety of mares.

He was inspected with the 4th highest scores ever with the ATA but was unable to fulfill his performance requirements after getting cast in a stall and being unable to be ridden again.

Like Molly, all the ones I have seen look very much like F himself. And I've really liked every one I've seen.

There are a few other threads here where lots of folks showed off their F kids - maybe you can find those

Default I bred and have 2

And both are a definite improvement on the dam (TB). The oldest looks and moves like a pure wb and his neck is on both babies! She won on the line as a hunter and was 5th in our zone as a yearling, before tangling with my fence and injuring her hock. She was bred to a connemara so the Feuer grandbaby I have is a connemara/tb/trak who is incredible!

The full sister looks like dad, moves a bit more like mom but both have a great jump, great temperment and incredible conformation.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

I am with those who feel that Feuertanzer stamped his foals. Ours is out of a Skipper W bred QH mare and very few would ever guess the foal is part Quarter Horse! We used fresh not frozen, so no help there.

Photo album of Feuervogel:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=a8626e1c90
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Thanks so much for your replies. TwoDreamRides, Fuervogel is a stunner. Can I ask why he was a free stud? Why would they do that?

To be honest, I don't remember the exact details but it went something like this:

He was injured before completing his performance requirements, so they hoped to have him meet requirements through an alternate method of foal approvals. I think he had to have x number of foals of x scores. I guess to greaten the chances of this, they made his breedings "free". The stud fee itself was free, but you still paid a collection fee.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

I really need to get some recent pictures of my mare, but here's my Feuertanzer daughter as a filly- http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25348...00789832gIKEbM

She looks a lot like her mother, but there was definitely some neck/topline improvement which is an area I think a lot of the Feuertanzer offspring are strong in.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I had two out of the same mare, and they were NOTHING alike other than they were both HUGE. Mare was 16.2h Irish Sporthorse, filly was huge and fairly square in build, colt is huge but more of a horizontally built hunter type like mom. Filly was very mature at 4, colt has been slow to get it together.

Jennifer

A good friend here in NZ used Feuertanzer frozen a few years back.

The foal is the spitting image of the dam (a Trak by Falkensee). Pretty, compact, and sweet.

Maybe you know this horse already?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...6&id=569407376

No I dont know her (very nice by the way) but I have a Falkensee myself and the mare is also a Falkensee (full sister to mine) that would go to the stallion.

Question Traumi?

Is he related to Traumtaenzer?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up Nice horse!

Very nice horse!, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerole View Post
    A good friend here in NZ used Feuertanzer frozen a few years back.

The foal is the spitting image of the dam (a Trak by Falkensee). Pretty, compact, and sweet.

Maybe you know this horse already?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=249976&id=569407376
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    To be honest, I don't remember the exact details but it went something like this:

He was injured before completing his performance requirements, so they hoped to have him meet requirements through an alternate method of foal approvals. I think he had to have x number of foals of x scores. I guess to greaten the chances of this, they made his breedings "free". The stud fee itself was free, but you still paid a collection fee.
    I remember what TwoDreamRides remembers . . . he was a lovely young stallion with high marks & an unfortunate injury which prevented him getting the full approval. If you are breeding future breeding stock, it might not be a good choice. If you are breeding for a performance gelding or mare, it could be a very good choice.

But like the others, I don't know the quality of his frozen semen. I just know when I had a Trakehner mare & he was first approved, he was on my stallion short list.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I think what makes it hard to evaluate about this stallion is that he was bred to EVERYTHING. QH's, Arabs, TB's, Drafts, etc.. you name it. I would like to think that he was put on more than a couple Warmblood mares. He was not a bad looking horse, I have a video around here somewhere. I've seen some "nice" ones, not brilliant, but nice. He was just bred to such a crazy variety of mares, I think it can make it a little tricky to evaluate him. Not many other WB stallions are bred as frequently to so many types of mares.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

He was a very attractive stallion, stood down the road from here and had very good semen that froze well. I actually froze some and it is good.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

I have a 7 year old Feuertanzer gelding out of an Arab mare from before the free breedings. His mother was rather high strung, and he turned out to be a little too much riding horse for me, but is much calmer than his mother. Just gelded him last year, because up till that time, he lived out as a stallion with other horses and never had any issues (gelded him to reduce "distractions" during training). Other than that, he was exactly what I was hoping for, he has excellent movement for dressage, and LOVES to jump. My trainer is hoping to compete with him in 5 bar this year. You can see pics of him at: http://picasaweb.google.com/dawnhallock/Baby The pics of the little boy leading him around were of my 4 year old nephew leading him around when he was a 5 year old stallion. That's how well-mannered he was on the ground.