The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buyer frustrations

In light of the sellers point of view, I'll start the buyers. Let me preface by saying people should be reading the ads, asking intelligent questions and looking at horses in their price/ability range, etc.
    But, from the buyers end...What is up with Private Treaty? I will not respond to those ads regardless what else is said in them.
    Please be honest for chr9%^sakes! Do not make me drive 5+ hours to look at a horse that is so nasty on the ground I won't even try him. No, I don't think his beautiful way of going will change the fact that he tries to kill people in the crossties or in his stall. I won't change my mind about the importance of ground manners. When I asked you on the phone what size blanket he wears the answer should have been "Oh, well, you can't blanket him" not "82". He probably shouldn't have been described as warm and fuzzy either.
    A fracture, anywhere, anytime is a previous soundness issue. Don't waste my time. Please tell me soundness issues when I ask. There are certain things I'm willing to buy, others I'm not. Please let me decide.
    If you don't return my calls or email (after a couple tries) I will assume your horse is sold and take it off my list. Do not be mad when you email me a month later and I'm going on a trip to the other side of the state and have already made trips to your backyard.
    If you list your horse on multiple sites, please remember which ones and change them all when you make changes. I see the same horse under different names, at different prices, etc. I'm just not that stupid.

So, after about 25 hours in the car so far, looking at 8 horses, only 5 of those were worth getting on, and of the 5, only 3were safe enough for the buyer to get on, and of those 3, 1 had a vet issue that was only brought up once we were done riding, and of those 2, well, unfortunately they weren't Mr. Right.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I totally feel your pain. I drove 5 hours to look at horse that OBVIOUSLY needed joint injections (at least). I emailed back and forth with them about 5 times before traveling down there... how was this not EVER mentioned?

...and another horse I went to look at, I literally wouldn't get on. Same as your situation, totally crazy on the ground. The owner lunged her for me and she wasn't even sound! I drove hours in the middle of nowhere... at night!

Have you tried asking around or contacting nearby stables? Often times barns have horses they don't advertise, but will sell to the "right" person.

Good Luck!

It will be worth it when you find your match!

Ditto on pretty much everything you said. One of my biggest pet peeves is private treaties. I dont even click on the ad. Just tell me the friggin price.

Ive been in your shoes. I stopped looking when I found a great lease horse. I drove to 5 hours one way to see a horse and he had a HUGE conformation flaw that I didnt see in the videos. His ad stated "textbook conformation". She must have had a terrible textbook.

Keep looking, good luck finding Mr. Right!

I have to say my biggest pet peeve is when someone advertises as a horse as jumping & then doesn't have a single crossrail to see it over.

Or the horses that haven't been ridden in weeks - that is such a waste of time. If you're not going to keep the horse ridden, then make sure the price reflects that. I don't care if 2 years ago, it won first place out of 12 horses in the hunter hack at a schooling show - I'm evaluating it now & if it's completely unschooled, I will only pay accordingly.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

My big one when I was shopping was:

If I take the time to send you a thoughtful email (and took the time to read your ad!) please take the time to respond to me, even if just to say, "sorry, the horse is no longer available".
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I think the biggest compliment I've ever received as a seller was "You were completely honest in how you listed your horse and over the phone."

Poor woman had been all over the place looking for a schoolie dressage horse to build her confidence back up. She was surprised, as it was January, as not only did my horse have neatly trimmed feet WITH shoes, but was sound, clipped and in shape. I don't want to know the horses she looked at beforehand!! It wasn't a good fit and I tried to persuade her otherwise over the phone, but she was adamant on driving 2+ hours to come try out my horse who was very good, but a little more "up" than she wanted/needed.

For some, no matter how hard you try they need to see it to believe it!

My turn!

Post current pictures of the horse please.

I don't care what he looked like ten years ago. I wanna see what he looks like now. And would it kill you to knock a little of the dust off before I get there? He doesn't have to be spotless but standing there for twenty minutes while you scrape mud balls off his girth area after I just spent twenty minutes watching you try to catch him is a bit excessive. At that point I'm ready to skip the test ride and just go grab a beer.

What is a private treaty?

Private Treaty = Call for pricing and let us know what you are willing to spend!

Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by flyingkfarm View Post
    Private Treaty = Call for pricing and let us know what you are willing to spend!

Hehehe
    Not always. Often you just need to ask (no mention of your budget). Basically they don't everyone who does a google search to know the horse's price.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    What is a private treaty?
    If you have to ask the price, you're too poor to buy the horse!

I won't even consider a horse if the price isn't listed.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

In October ago I started looking for a younger prospect to bring along and one of the ads I was looking at had a description of a horse that sounded very fitting, but there was no photo. So I email'd the seller (who wasn't the owner but had a website with many horse listings, you had to contact this person and they would contact the owner) asking a few other questions and if they had a video or photo. They email'd me back saying they had no video but would see about getting a photo. So I email'd them saying a photo would be great and asked a couple more questions. They email'd me back saying that I should look these other horses and sent me links to their ads. I said thanks but they aren't what I was looking for (not even close :s) and then she email'd me back saying the original horse I was asking about was in [insert city name here] if I wanted to see it. Well that town was about 3 hours away and I really just wanted a picture to see if the horse looked like it was well proportioned! At that point I really just gave up with that seller, contacted a few other people, got pictures AND videos, went to see several horses 5hours away and bought a nice 3yo warmblood :3

Why is sending a picture so hard?? I still see that the horse is for sale NOW and there is still no picture.

As for when I was trying out those other horses, one I wouldn't jump because A) the owner wouldn't jump it (red flag??) and B) the horse felt SO out or shape and SO wobbly I don't understand how it could possibly lift itself over the jump. Apparently it had been jumping small courses and schooling cross country but I honestly don't understand how.

Another horse I tried was a nice forward ride that I really enjoy, he was an OTTB and he could have been the one but he was just NASTY. When I emaild the owner about him before I went to see him, he was described as friendly and fun to be around and would follow you around in the field. But even as I was riding him and when the owner was riding him he would stomp his feet turn his head to try and bite you. While you are on him! It is very possible that he was ring sour but that was just not the horse for me. I was also told that he had had no soundness issues but when I went to see him I was then told he had several months off last year because he cut his leg, they said that he was never unsound but there was white hairs in lines on his legs and the video we took we could still see him step off every once in awhile. Too many red flags for me!

Another horse I tried was pretty sweet and was advertised as schooling small courses (this was another tb) but the owner was not comfortable enough to canter her or jump her and the horse was WIRED that day so I only trotted her. If you aren't comfortable doing things on your horse that a buyer needs to see I just don't understand why you wouldn't get someone else to show them for you? I'm not there to school your horse for you, I'm there to see how they move and how I feel when I'm on them. I actually probably would have liked her quite a bit but we did not fit each other very well, I'm not really sure how to explain it but I'm not very tall and I couldn't get my leg wrapped around her with the way that she was put together. She was actually quite nicely put together but was the wrong shape for me!

Now the horse I bought was the greenest out of the bunch but he was represented exactly as he was and his manners were the best out of everyone and I settled into his stride right away so I couldn't be happier with him He is a big baby with a sweet personality!

I must say that I will avoid the horse buying process for as LONG AS POSSIBLE. Why must it be so frustrating?

(Sorry for the novel)

So, another day of shopping yesterday. Drove 467 miles. Saw 3 horses. 1 was the prettiest thing ever. So pretty that maybe someone will just write a check. Not a great mover and NASTY under saddle. Absolutely not what we were told. But, like I said, I guess the seller is just trying to get eyes on her because she is SO pretty someone will talk themselves into her.
    Also, get the address right. We drove over 45 minutes to the wrong city. If you're not sure what city you live in, maybe you should ask someone...
    And, last but not least, 300# underweight is not 'currently lacking a little muscle', has recently failed a PPE isn't 'has always been sound'.

C'mon! Really quit wasting my time. I'm ready to put quarters in the machine outside the pizza place and call it my ride time.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I won't call or reply to any "private treaty" ads.
    9 out of 10 times those mean: We're going to butter the toast on both sides and the crust when it comes to adding on commissions.

And this one is just a weird pet peeve of mine but please don't write "Buy him now or get beat by him later!" It's such a ridiculous saying. Makes me think that the sellers are either
    a) assuming nobody on earth can ride and require their horse to stay in the saddle in a class
    b) telling buyers the horse will be mad you didn't buy him, will hunt you down and give you a good beating

I have no problems with "price will increase with training." But please make sure you're actually training it and not untraining it. Also, no horse's price goes from $5k to $30k in 30 days.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I see posts on the horse lists I frequent all the time about how hard it is to buy a horse.

I don't seem to have the same problems, in fact, I seem to have the OPPOSITE trouble! I seem to find too many that I'd take. Maybe my standards are lower?

I think sometimes PT can mean "we are looking for the right circumstance for our horse" and the price can be really low/negotiated or even zero if their needs are satisfied (ie: breedback on a mare, seeing him win in the ring if they don't show, going to a junior who wouldn't have a chance with a nice horse and it is just what pulls their heartstrings). Sometimes happens...

Looking for a trail horse for a friend of mine...find one advertised as "perfect family horse", "sound and sane", "super everything"...so we went to check him out...
    *he has obvious chronic eye problems
    *he has a big melanoma on his anus
    *he has a big barb wire cut on a rear pastern
    *bad feet...really bad feet
    *owner had to dis-assemble bridle to put it on, severe bitting issue there
    *horsey was totally barn sour, threatened to buck and rear

Umm...yeah...OK. Good luck getting $3500 for *that*. Pass.

We looked at several horses, actually found one that was perfect and he failed the PPE . In the end I found a horse that worked better for me and my friend ended up with my trusty trail horse. She is happy, my old horse is happy, I am happy and my new boy is happy. Win-win all around and I *do not* miss the shopping part.

I was helping a friend find a horse when I found a cute grey TWH and a bright sorrel, about an hour away. Talked to the gal, she was pregnant with #2, no time or $ for horses, she talked knowledgeably of trails in the area, where all the horse has been ridden. Sounds fine.

We get there, both are saddled and tied to a tree. Grey hasn't been ridden, but sorrel is soaking wet with sweat and this was a coolish day. I skipped Ol Red , untied Grey, led him off, he was quiet and polite. Climbed up. He stood like a rock.

And there we stood. LOL.

He wouldn't move. Period.

Nada, ain't going. Completely placid about it, but NO.

I urged a few different ways but I'm not going to pick a fight with what is supposed to be a greenbean ready steady horse who may or may not be an idiot when pressed. If I can't point and click, literally, he's not the horse they need. I just stepped down and handed him off to her. She was flustered, led him waaaay away from Red, around the corner out of site- climbed up, and here they came around the backside of the house...nice gait. Too bad you have to roll him up a hill then aim him at the house to see it.

See ya!

Takes all kinds and endless patience. Oh, and beer.