The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Herbal Supplements?

I want my appendix gelding to slow down a touch and relax alittle more than he is doing now so i want to get him a calming supplement. Should i be looking for an herbal or nonherbal supplement? I wouldve thought herbs would be a good thing but when i was looking on smartpak most of the calming supplements were advertising 'no herbs'. So are herbs good or bad for calming?

Herbs are like drugs--they can be good or bad, with effects and side effects that you have to weigh and consider.

None of which are legal for competition, by the way, which is why most of them are advertised as containing "no herbs".

And none of them are worth diddly poo, IMO.

If you need a quieter horse, remove the grain, double the turnout, or (my favorite) get some earplugs.
    Click here before you buy.

Default There other things you can do first

Try less grain, more turnout, longer warmups.

If you show in H/J try earplugs, but you can't if yo do dressage or eventing as they are illegal in those sports.

Then try magesium, and Thiamine, no promises but they have helped in the past in some horses, but not all.

Then try raspberry leaves.

Try raspberry leaves with L-Tryptophan.

That's about it for legal ones. there others but they are usually not legal to show on.
    Good Luck
    PM me if you need more info.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

They (earplugs) are legal for the jumping phases of eventing. And in H/J land they are practically stylish.

They also proved today to be JUST the ticket to a quiet ride on my almost-done-rehabbing horse in whom we are trying to eliminate Ace.
    Click here before you buy.

There are 4 nervine herbs for nervous horses. They are blue vervain, chamomille, hops and valerian. They are often combined with passion flower which acts as a catalyst. None are show legal. If you are not going to e showing anytime soon - they are worth a shot. Read more about the nervines here and consult with an equine herbalist for dosing: http://www.herbal-horsekeeping.com/a...ous_horse.html

Magnesium is a wonderful and much needed mineral. Most horses are undersupplemented. A non-working pasture puff requires 15.5 grams of elemental magnesium a day just to perform basic bodily functions. Add in work, stress, sweating and a horse can become depleted very easily. Once deficient, this stresses the adrenals which causes the release of adrenalin and cortisol whch often times leads to a nervous, anxious horse. Most of your OTC supplements, when fed according to package directions will supply 10-20 grams. Some horses who are prone to anxiety may need upwards of 40 grams a day to recitify the deficiency. I highly suggest looking at this website as it has TONS of info on mg deficiency: www.performanceequineusa.com I personally use this company's dimagnesium malate on all 4 of my horses. 2 for high anxiety and 2 for metabolic reasons. I have been extremely impressed with the dimagnesium malate. I had the 2 high anxiety horses on Ex-Stress for years and never saw 1/10th of the results I have gottenwith the dimag. I have since found out that Ex-Stress has very little magnesium in it and the wrong kind to boot. Ex-Stress is mg sulfate which #1 is not very bio-available and the one form most likely to cause diahhrea.

Raspberry leaves are very high in magnesium - so I would not use a mg supplement and raspberry leaves together. Raspberry leaves also act as a diuretic, so be mindful of that.

Marcos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by irideponyhunters View Post
    I want my appendix gelding to slow down a touch and relax alittle more than he is doing now so i want to get him a calming supplement. Should i be looking for an herbal or nonherbal supplement? I wouldve thought herbs would be a good thing but when i was looking on smartpak most of the calming supplements were advertising 'no herbs'. So are herbs good or bad for calming?
    Vitamins are organic compounds that are required by our body in a very small amount for a variety of metabolic processes. Research indicates that most of the vitamins you get from the food you eat are better than those contained in pills. According to me fish oil supplements that contain Omega 3 fatty acids are the best.