The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Headed to Aiken on Friday! And Aiken Area Question

I am headed to Aiken on Friday and I'm finally beginning to get excited about it (life has been so stressful lately that my travel plans have frankly just added to that). I'm going to be there for 4 weeks. I've hardly ridden at all since the beginning of January as my horse has been down there and I've been up here, so I'm nervous that I'm not going to remember how. And riding outside??? What's that?!

Anyway ...

My question (and I realize this is a long shot): I am going to be staying in Windsor, close to Sporting Days. My trainer is also in Windsor. During the past couple of months I've managed to build up my running mileage a good bit and I don't want to let it to slide now. Does anyone have any recommendations of good running routes in the area?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

My favorite involves parking my car in front of New Moon (downtown) and then doing any of the following loops:

6 miles: run out Barnwell road to where it Ts, turn right on Gaston, zig across Richland/78 and tracks, onto Charleston, then turn left on South Boundary. Continue on S. Boundary to where it goes around bend and turns into Jehossee. Follow until it comes to a T. Return and have b'fast at New Moon.

8 miles: where Jehossee becomes a T, turn left and run along edge of park to Pine Log, turn right on Pine Log, Right on Banks Mills, Right on Monetta (which will return you to Jehossee). Retrace and have b'fast at New Moon.

15 miles: start 8 miler. Instead of turning right on Monetta off Banks Mill, go one more block and turn left on Audobon. Follow Audobon and turn left on Two Notch Road. Follow it to the Virginia Acres Park (obvious, where Price street comes in). Run a lap around the Park, then return to have b'fast at New Moon.

Seriously, I prefer this route more in town to running out by Windsor, etc where the traffic seems to be moving much faster, though running along Montmorenci and some of the back roads there is ok too. Looking forward to my New Moon breakfast makes the whole run easier though

In general, you can use www.gmap-pedometer.com to map out various runs
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

What about Hitchcock Woods? (or do you prefer roads?)

I like Hitchcock for my shorter runs, under about 4 miles. Longer runs I sort of prefer roads (less tiring and don't need to pay as much attention to my feet to avoid tripping over stuff)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

There is also a running/walking/biking trail in town, in the vicinity of the community center, I think. Don't know what it's like...though, I like scubed's routes a lot! Anything that begins and/or ends at New Moon is great in my book!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was thinking of Hitchcock Woods as a possibility for weekends, it seems like an awesome place to run and I'm sure my dog would love it. I also like the idea of some of the local Aiken routes, although, for the first two weeks, I'm also going to be working (remotely) so I'm not sure if I will have time to go into town to run, get home and work and then figure out when I'm going to ride as well. I definitely want to check out the Full Moon Cafe. Last year we tried to go one morning, but we were too early and they weren't open yet, unfortunately. FWIW, my max run is really only about 5 miles (and that's pushing it), so I may need to make an adjustment to some of the suggested routes. Most of all, I'm really looking forward to a break from New England. They're planning more ice for this weekend here!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/