The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on the new Premier Circuit saddles?

Just wanted to know peoples thoughts and opinions on them. I know they are fairly new, but just wondering if Dover chose to make them with quality leather this time....

TIA

Looking at them in the catalog, they seem to be variations on their "original" line-up, but with Toulouse-like leather.

I suppose it's probably an improvement over the crap leather now on the original line-up, but I personally have never liked the whole "covered leather" trend, and on the Toulouses in particular, I don't think it wears well. I can't imagine they would have used leather that is a better quality than Toulouse, so I would assume the same for the Circuit Premier line as I know for the Toulouse - that it looks nice initially, but won't wear well.

Now, all that said, I always thought the older Circuit saddles were very decent saddles for the price. The newer (current) ones have crap-tastic leather, though, so I stopped recommending them, primarily for asthetic reasons. Even though I don't think it will wear well, I think that I could potentially again recommend Circuits (the Premier line), because the asthetics are now more in line with the price and mechanics of the saddle.

I still wouldn't purchase it myself... but I would be more likely to recommend to the budget-concious or entry-level rider (still behind a higher-end used, though).

Patterson and Ebert give it 3 1/2 stars (out of 5) and one thumb up.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

What exactly is "covered leather"? Like it sounds? I've been wondering what was so weird about the Toulouse leather...