The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Demons Begone & Alydar

I have heard that Demons Begone has sired many outstanding sporthorses. I am a racing-only sort of person so would like to hear more about this. Also, how about Alydar? Any thoughts on a combination of Alydar AND Demons Begone in a potential sporthorse? This horse was too slow or otherwise looked upon unfavorably by his trainer...
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

We have wonderful sport offspring from our TB mare Aly Alice xx, so I can comment very favorably on Alydar's contribution to sport breeding. http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=J...alice&x=21&y=6
    Check back in USEF records; there was a time that Alydar was a leading sire of jumpers.

I would love more input on Demons Begone, but have nothing to report myself.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Can't do much better than Alydar for jumper talent in TBs.
    Demons Begone: I don't know anything about him personally; his pedigree does not have any upfront standout names for sporthorse greats except for Hail To Reason and Halo is not of of his sons I want to see with his ill tempement and offspring that tend to be "tough" though not crazy like Halo.

Love Love Love our Alydar grand-daughter DoUThinkUCanDance. She is by Wheaton. She is athletic and sweet. I am thrilled with her first foal by Escapade and we are waiting for the second one to arrive in April.
    Here is her pedigree
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/douthinkucandance
    She is the bay and this is her 20 month old filly Etch-A-Sketch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pippy (2).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	32166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	32167  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Alydar is one of the best eventing bloodlines, both by analysis and by personal experience (we're running an Alydar topline Intermediate). No experience with the other horse.

There are quite a ew Alydar sons who show up on the USEF leading sires list in both Jumpers and Eventing.

Alydarmer
    Alydark
    Alybrave
    Alyrat
    Verge
    Opposite Abstract

Probably more, don't recall them all.

But Alydar produced a lot of offspring. With a high stud fee I doubt any of them were bred for sport and that may be true of the offspring of his sons too.
    With that high a number of available horses it's hard to tell if the success is genetic or just overwhelming numbers who failed racing 101 and needed a new career.

But some of his line have been a success in Jumpers and that's an accomplishment in the age of the WB.

Phillip Dutton's event horse Cayman Went was or is an Alydar grandson through Easygoer. He also has Private Account/Damascus on the bottom.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cayman+went

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Demon's Begone has a lovely pedigree, filled with the old line TBs that made good sport horses. There's not a line in his pedigree that doesn't go back to horses who have been proved in sport.

Juliet's Nurse is one of the best, and so is Gallant Man. Fleet Nasrullah is superior. Cosmah was also the dam of Queen Sucree, who was the dam of Cannonade by Bold Bidder who had world class event horses to his credit. Rambunctious was an excellent hunter sire, and Castle Hyde is by Tulyar (excellent) out of Bold Irish who was also the dam of Leix and Shenanigans.

Sire's dam goes back to the Secretariat ancestress Cinq a Sept.

This one definitely one with very promising paper.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    There are quite a ew Alydar sons who show up on the USEF leading sires list in both Jumpers and Eventing.

Opposite Abstract

But Alydar produced a lot of offspring. With a high stud fee I doubt any of them were bred for sport and that may be true of the offspring of his sons too.
    With that high a number of available horses it's hard to tell if the success is genetic or just overwhelming numbers who failed racing 101 and needed a new career.

But some of his line have been a success in Jumpers and that's an accomplishment in the age of the WB.
    My #1 hunter, horse of my lifetime and also pain in my ass is by Opposite Abstract. He failed racing 101 by 3 yeas of age and was my 16th Bday present. Opie is now 17 and is still QUITE the handful. Like his famous grandsire, he knows he is good. Don't know what I would without the gorgeous red head in my barn though. He is always honest, a beautiful mover (damn near undefeated in the late 90's and still does well today even against all the WBs), too athletic for his own good and LOVES to show.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Opposite Abstract is just as good on the bottom as the top. His dam, K D Princess, was also the dam of Conquistador Cielo, who is a very superior line for FEI lower level eventing. He's got descendants through 4 different stallions. And he seems to be well loved by hunter people.

Not trying to steal the thread, but I'm curious

Cosmah was also the dam of Queen Sucree, who was the dam of Cannonade by Bold Bidder who had world class event horses to his credit.
    Please share. Who were the world class event horses. Thanks.

Cannonade was the sire of Vorias who was the sire of Debat d'Estruval who was ridden by Jean Teulere and won team gold at the Athens Olympics. Also sire of Caveat, damsire of the 3* horse Parker.

Bold Bidder was the grandsire of A Fine Romance tail male; also sire of Spectacular Bid (Mytens/Mighty Magic; Auction Ring who is in the pedigree of Winsome Adante and Withcote Nellie, both Olympic horses, as well as the stallion Formula One, Mount Hagen, grandsire of a 4* horse, Mostly Mischief, and an Italian GP jumper, Ottobre di San Patriginano, along with a couple of others who have gotten 1 and 2* top ten horses.

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post

Alydarmer
    Alydark
    Alybrave
    Alyrat
    Verge
    Opposite Abstract

Easygoer also sired some good jumpers. Given HIS stud fee they must have been ones that didn't make it at the track since he didn't stand for sporthorse fees.