The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Ideas Near University of Massachusetts (Amherst)?

I have a rider that will be attending the University of Massachusetts (in Amherst) in the fall. She is lucky enough to be taking her horse and has asked me for recommendations of a place for them to board and train.

Does not need to be super high-end facility, but needs to have good care for the horse and a competent trainer for the kid!

Anyone have any ideas?

I would also appreciate a "heads up" about any places that she might be wise to avoid. Feel free to PM with that information.

Horse Stable Review might be able to help. Also try Yelp.
    HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Thanks for the horsestablereview link - I was unaware of it. However, the barns on there don't appear to be too close by unfortunately.

Thanks to those of you who have PM'd me. Thankfully, the one thought to avoid has come up that way consistently so I will definitely guide her someplace else! And the PM's have given me some additional insight and leads.

I think that she is hoping to bring her horse to the University barn, but she's not sure how possible that will be? She goes for orientation later this week, so hopefully she'll have a feeling on how that option will work out. But, I wanted to try to give her some other places to check out while she was there if possible.

Post on equinesite.com. It is a regional site and there is a Massachusetts bulletin board there.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Anyone know anything about Orion Farm in South Hadley?

Default Orion Farm

I've always heard very positive things about them.

Will your student have a car? PVTA (bus) is very good, but I'm not sure how close Orion would be to one of its routes if she were unable to drive.

The only other farm I'm familiar with out there does not have an indoor, and in fact may be boarding only so may not be any help to you there.

As a staff member at Smith, and a former masters student and current PhD student at UMass... a few thoughts:

- Unfortunately, the Umass facility does not accept boarders.

- Smith's equestrian center is lovely (I ride there), and we've had several UMass riders and their horses boarding with us for the past few years - the bus does come from Amherst to Northampton, but a car would make a world of difference. Daily turnout, hay 3x a day - really excellent people. And very reasonably priced. PM for an email contact. We have a huge indoor

- also excellent is sycamore stables in amherst - they have an IEA team and host the Hampshire College IHSA team. Up and coming - nice facility and they go to some shows if your student wants to do that too http://sycamore-stables.com/

- Orion is rather pricy, and really not convenient to UMass - spotty bus service and winter driving down there can be obnoxious. It's also VERY pony and little kid heavy - I know very few adults that board (or even ride) there.

- There is also Muddy Brook farm in Amherst - I don't know much about them...I don't think they have an indoor.

It depends on what she's hoping to do with her horse - just ride? Ride and show? If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can probably answer most things.

I sent you a PM as well. Sycamore had a lengthy waiting list last I heard.

PM sent.

For those who have wondered - and thank you for thinking of that as I know it can make a difference for so many - YES, SHE WILL HAVE A CAR AVAILABLE TO HER.

I went to Mount Holyoke, but was fortunate to board my horses there. I know that depending on their incoming students' horses, they do allow outside boarders, but I would inquire.

Sycamore is great, although they do have a waiting list.

I looked at Orion Farm, just down the road from Mount Holyoke, you might want to look there as well.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

check out http://www.jeministables.com great totally redone barn with a wonderful atmosphere and very knowledgeable.

Hey Guys,
    I know this thread is pretty old but I figured I would bump it up rather than create a new one. I am in the same situation as Kate16's student and was wondering if ya'll knew of any other barns in the Amherst area that have good reputations. I will also have a car available to me and am looking for a barn with good quality care but doesn't necessarily have to have beautiful facilities...as long as they are safe. I don't need a trainer on site but trails close by would be a plus. I would love to keep it under 450-500 a month (the cheaper the better ) but also don't want to compromise on care. Feel free to PM with any places to avoid...Thanks!