The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NHR - Anyone have Pets Best Insurance for Dog/Cat??

I was looking for input on this insurance. Good / Bad?

Is it worth the $$ per month?

Default Ins

I use Pets Best to insure my French Bulldog. I like the insurance company a lot, I have not had to file any claims, but I have met several people who did, who said it was relatively painless. They seem to pay out better than VPI, in that they do not try to "treat" your pet and only pay for procedures that they deem necessary. They will pay out for any procedure that you and your vet deem appropriate for the situation. Also, I really like the wellness option, if you are insuring a dog that has not yet been neutered/spayed, then they cover that procedure and all the vac's that the puppies need, and you end up coming out even or ahead that year. My frenchie is 1 1/2 now, so I no longer use the wellness portion of the insurance, and my payment is around $25-27 a month. My only regret is that I did not insure my pup earlier, she swallowed a bone/toy before I had the insurance I paid almost $4000 for emergency surgery! With PetsBest, I would have only paid 20% of the surgery... Lesson learned. Well worth the cost!

Jaymie823, how did your emergency vet treat the fact that you had insurance? Was the emergency vet willing to wait until your insurance paid or did they want the emergency surgery money at the time of service?

So far all the vets I've talked to about pet insurance say that you have to pay for everything at the time of service esp in emergencies and then the insurance co pays you back. I did find that to be true when my JRT had a midnite trip to the after-hours clinic followed by three days in hospital. Then insurance dragged its feet for months before finally cutting me a check but only after I threatened them with litigation...btw it wasn't the insurance company being asked about or the other one referenced but still was a highly advertised one seen in all the glossy magazines. After that I started asking around at the vets and seems at least here in the PNW that's standard operating procedure (pardon the pun). Goes double for equine surgical. Pay first and await reimbursement. So - you still have to have that $$ in the bank to write a check for it or have a credit card kept available for such things.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @$$ho!es." ~ William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by TheresanAppfurthat View Post
    Jaymie823, how did your emergency vet treat the fact that you had insurance? Was the emergency vet willing to wait until your insurance paid or did they want the emergency surgery money at the time of service?

So far all the vets I've talked to about pet insurance say that you have to pay for everything at the time of service esp in emergencies and then the insurance co pays you back. I did find that to be true when my JRT had a midnite trip to the after-hours clinic followed by three days in hospital. Then insurance dragged its feet for months before finally cutting me a check but only after I threatened them with litigation...btw it wasn't the insurance company being asked about or the other one referenced but still was a highly advertised one seen in all the glossy magazines. After that I started asking around at the vets and seems at least here in the PNW that's standard operating procedure (pardon the pun). Goes double for equine surgical. Pay first and await reimbursement. So - you still have to have that $$ in the bank to write a check for it or have a credit card kept available for such things.
    That is standard. Because the insurance companies don't pay the full amount (unless you have the Gold plans available from a select few companies) and because some are selective about what they pay....the vets want all the money up-front, and then you can deal with whatever amount trickles in. In the UK it seems to work a little bit differently with the vet-to-insurance connection set up more like our human healthcare system, but that's unfortunately not the case here.

I have filed a claim for my rabbit through VPI. It was a $2,000 procedure all said and done (removal of an eye at a state of the art facility) and VPI sent me $450. The check was in my mailbox a week after I emailed the claim forms, but the pitiful amount was annoying. VPI pays out according to a "benefit chart"...which means that if something costs more than what they say it should, you're screwed. My chart said that the anesthesia payout for my rabbit was to be no more than $150.....yeahhh, the meds and tech for my rabbit alone were over $500. The chart was last updated in 2000! When I brought that up over the phone, I got a "well, we haven't seen a need to update it." Yeah??? You don't think prices have changed in TEN YEARS? I would NEVER use VPI for a cat or dog....unfortunately they are the only ones who cover exotics in the US and something is better than nothing in my case.

But yes....even if you have insurance, you need to have the money up front to pay unless you have a VERY understanding vet who will let you run a balance for a couple of weeks. I have a separate "animal emergency" credit card that I keep on hand.

GoForAGallop- I imagine they'd never thought anyone would EVER spend more than $450 to fix a rabbit.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    GoForAGallop- I imagine they'd never thought anyone would EVER spend more than $450 to fix a rabbit.
    Probably....with the exotics, though, the prices add up fast. Because it was an eye removal he went to an ophthalmologist(sp?), who then called in a favor to an old friend from college who knew how to put rabbits under. (They're very delicate, particularly because you can't fast them.)

The poor creature came back to me with half his little face shaved and both of his ears shaved too. (Largest veins to stick a needle in!) But provided he made it through the surgery, his chances of a normal happy life were 100% and I couldn't say no to that! Sure blew my "Oh, but he's only $20, he'll be the cheapest pet I own!" argument to bits, though.

That being said, he's currently snuggled up under the covers by my feet doing his little bunny purrs everytime I nudge him.