The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bone chip in elbow joint - recommendations for ortho consult in NE??

My horse had a fall the other day. I was not there for the fall, but it was witnessed by a few people. He apparently bolted on the lunge line (in the indoor), maybe tripped?, and cartwheeled and landed on his right shoulder/side. I was away for work when this happened, but the woman I have him in training with right now wasn't exactly certain how he did it. The fall happened really fast.
    Horse developed a right front lameness after the fall.
    My vet came out and did radiographs and she discovered a bone chip in his right elbow. She showed the radiographs to an orthopedic surgeon colleague of hers who thought the bone chip was recent as the edges are sharp. This combined with the trauma and the subsequent lameness, and well, I think we have a winner.
    I'm planning on having him seen by a orthopedic surgeon to have a work up and determine if he needs surgery. We are in the Boston area. Does anyone have any experience with bone chips in the elbow? Does anyone have suggestions for who is the best in the area?
    He is on stall rest and is getting previcox. He is sound at the walk on the previcox, but only comes out of his stall to walk to the cross ties (which are right in front of his stall).
    Thanks in advance.

New England Equine Medical and Surgical Center... that's who I use for everything. They are well-equipped to handle just about everything.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

NE Equine folks are great.
    I'm also a fan of Dr. Provost at TUSVM.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.