The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of Old Bowed Tendon...Torn Check Ligament

Is an old torn check ligament a deal breaker on a 3' hunter/jumper? Is it different/worse/better/comparable to having an old bow? Any experiences out there with coming back or not coming back sound after healing via stall rest and then pasture rest?

I know of two: one STB racehorse and one children's/adults jumper. Both could never be fully rehabbed and both never made it back to competitive performance. Both were aggressively rehabbed (I know both underwent IRAP treatment..I didn't own the jumper but we did own the STB) and they'd both get back to close to ready to compete and not be able to do it.

Sorry..just my two experiences.

Keswick, VA

Same experience. Hard to fix and easy to re-injure.

Coatesville, Pa.

Better to break something than to try to bring back a check or a suspensory that was torn.

Really bad luck.... no good success stories. In any discipline that I have heard of.

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, a deal breaker for me
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"

depends how 'torn' and if front or back. . . I've had some come back and some never. You'd really need a vet to look at the history, do an ultrasound, and then make sure the horse has been competing again at the level you wish to show him at. In general, thou, I would lease it with an option to return if it breaks in that area. Know too, that insurance will exclude that leg.