The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone riding in a Stubben Dressage saddle?

I'm in the market for a new dressage saddle, and until recently have never tried a Stubben dressage saddle. I've been looking at a Stubben Tristan, and would like to know if anyone has ever ridden in one, and if so, do you like it? If not, why not? If you have one, what did you pay for it used or new? Thanks!
    Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.

I love Stubbens, I don't have the Tristan though. I have a Seigfried VSD and a Genesis dressage saddle. I love both.

The Siegfried I bought used for $550, 3 years ago, it's older and has suede knee rolls. I over paid a little because the seller let me trial it for a week and half and the saddle was purchased locally. It fit my TB very very well, it has a 31.5cm tree which is their medium wide and so far it has fit almost every horse I have put it on barring a few exceptions. It does have a hard seat but it doesn't cause any problems if I am actively riding.

The reason I purchased the Genesis was because I needed a wider tree namely an XW for my Cob. I paid $830 for it brand new and it retails for around $3000. I got during their Black Friday sale in November. It broke in ridiculous fast and is super comfortable. I can NOT go on a long trail ride in my Sigfried because it does have a hard seat, but my Genesis is way more comfortable. It puts me in a great position and this saddle is my pride and joy. Like the Tristan my Genesis is relatively minimal in knee blocks it has one and it definitely helps on the green pony, but isn't so much you feel trapped in it. Mine is an 18 inch because it does have a deeper seat and my Siegfried is a 17 inch both fit me quite well.

Stubbens have more up swept panels which as first look as if they aren't going to fit the horses back if there isn't a good dip behind the withers. When I first girth up my saddles the back of the saddle looks like it isn't touching the horse but after I ride and get off the whole panel is touching and I have nice even sweat marks. I think this is turn off to most people because it appears as if the saddle doesn't fit.

Another turn off is the tale tale hard seats. I like them my Siegfried has a very hard seat but I am not at all bothered by it unless like I said I go on a long trail ride where I am just 'sitting there". The Genesis is more padded but not so much as to wear I feel as if the padding is molding to my butt cheeks.

Also Stubbens last, both mine clean up well and the leather seems extremely scratch resistant. Most Stubbens use a grain leather on the major wear parts and I feel as if this is a major influence in the life span of the saddle. I know some people who have younger saddles then My Genesis and my Seigfried , that are major popular name brands and my saddles show FAR less wear.

Stubbens aren't as popular as they used to be but are SOO worth checking out.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I ride in a Stubben Tristen and have since the early 70's. I love the fact that it is close contact and actually quite a minimalist type of saddle. There is very little between you and the horse which I prefer.

Honestly, I don't remember what I paid for it as it was a long time ago when I bought it.

I have always ridden in a Stubben Tristan (also called a Schultheis I think). They last and last and I love the close feel you get... it really makes influencing the horse with my seat and legs a lot easier. That said, it will take a little time and effort to develop truly independent seat and legs, but once you do look out! Also, it is a great saddle for hacking out and even jumping up to about 3 ft since there is nothing to get in your way.

Go Stubben Tristan!

Thank you for your inputs. When I think dressage saddle, Stubben is not a name that comes to mind. But after riding in one, I think it may be a great saddle for me. It fits my horse well, and seems to really have a positive effect on my posture.
    Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.

The Stubben North America site has a great video by Catherine Haddad on their tree. Stubbens have a really innovative tree that really FLEX to distribute weight evenly.

I've ridden in a Stubben Romanus since the 1980s & just now am getting ready to sell the 16.5" one I imported from Germany way back when (because I finally came to admit that my butt will never be 16.5" again).

It rides much like a Tristan & importantly, seems to fit a lot of horses' backs. I bought a (larger) Romanus this year, when I finally conceded my butt wasn't getting any smaller & actually, bought 2 because I didn't want to have to fight with my husband for 'my' Romanus . . .

I prefer the older model Stubbens which have fairly hard seats, put you in proper position - but don't have excess blocks to keep you there. You can move when you need to move, but must learn to RIDE because the saddle permits & encourages you to sit correctly, but doesn't do it for you via padding.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

HH, great video, thanks for mentioning it! KBE, I really like that the saddle doesn't have excessive knee blocks. Thanks for the info on your Stubben experiences, it sounds like they are definitely of good quality for someone looking for a saddle to use for a long time.

I have a Stubben Tristan and hate it. It's hard, uncomfortable.... I payed $500.00 for it second hand.

Only reason I continue to ride in it is because it fits my mare so well

I have always had Stubben jumping saddles, love them.

This is off topic, but a point about the "hard" seats. A western saddle maker in SE Oregon (Juntura?) once told me he has never built a saddle for a working cowboy that had a seat cushion.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I used to have a Tristan and loved it. Now I have a Genesis and absolutely adore it! I saw the new Genesis Special (the new version of the Tristan/Schultise Catherine Haddad helped make changes) and totally fell in love with it! If I had the money, I would get one in a second!

Regarding people that say Stubbens are hard, the spring tree helps the horse and rider move together. It is great for horse's backs. Stubben doesn't compensate for rigid trees by padding up the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I have always had Stubben jumping saddles, love them.

This is off topic, but a point about the "hard" seats. A western saddle maker in SE Oregon (Juntura?) once told me he has never built a saddle for a working cowboy that had a seat cushion.

I've only ridden in this saddle once, but I really thought my horse may have seemed happier in it. I though I might be crazy for saying it, but I really think she liked it! I got on and asked her to stretch long and low, and had absolutely no issues (usually it takes a little while). It seems to fit her really well without being too bulky for me. I've never been big on buying a comfortable saddle to me as long as I can do my job, my main priority is that it fits her.