The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Apple Cider Vinegar? Turmeric?

Does anyone feed either or both of these to their horses? If so, do you find it has helped, and how much do you feed?

Are there any negative side affects to either of these supplements?

Thereis virtually nothing in ACV that is beneficial or worth giving a horse.

Turmeric has some very modest anti-inflammatory properties, and also can "thin" the blood. Safety profile sort of unknown; I would personally treat it like a drug with potential side effects that are not very well laid out, as is the case with many herbals.
    Click here before you buy.

ACV; I have tried Bragg Apple Cidar for self and my horses. As I studied their benefits, old timers would use it for all sorts of help to cleanse and heal. Insect bites, a cough, PH balance (soaking foot), kills bacteria, fungus, viruses and more. I have used in their feed, very little, approx. 2 tbs and for a short term.

Old timer testimonial
    "my father was a splendid farmer and many times, I would watch him add ACV to feed and water of ailing animals (cattle, horses, sheep, dogs, cats, birds etc) and it acted like magic. ACV seemed ot posses a miracle ingredient that helped restore health to the animals" Nearest vet was 32 miles by horse and buggy

There is a ton of testimonials about benefits for humans, I personnal have tried for colds, sore thoats with good results.

http://www.bragg.com/
    Last edited by HealingHeart; Feb. 27, 2011 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Thereis virtually nothing in ACV that is beneficial or worth giving a horse.
    We used to put it in the water for the stalled horses in the summer when I was a WS because they seemed to like the taste of it. (They thought maybe it also helped discourage insects, but mostly - taste. Horses did seem to like it - they'd give you a dirty look if you filled the bucket but forgot the ACV. )

I imagine it was hardly an amount that could be considered therapeutic at all, even if there are any benefits - we used the highly scientific measurement of a "glug" per bucket.

My mom (diagnosed with cancer last summer) asked her oncologist about turmeric due to the whole anti-inflammatory thing, and basically the doctor said "if you want to eat a bit on your eggs in the morning or something like that, it probably won't help but it probably won't hurt either. No high dose pills or anything like that, though."

So my mom has her extra-yellow scrambled eggs and feels better psychologically, at least.

(The oncologist did actually mention a study where they looked at turmeric as a 'drug' treatment - I don't know if it was for this specific type of cancer or not - and they stopped the study because to get enough turmeric to actually start getting any kind of statistically significant results across the board, people were on doses so high it was apparently making their skin start to turn yellow? So someone motivated could look and see if they can find that particular study, I suppose.)

(The doctor in question is very much a researcher at heart, so she does read and consider 'non-traditional' methods so long as there's proper methodology involved in the testing, because who knows where the next great idea is going to come from? So I imagine that if there really was some value to therapeutic doses of the stuff, she'd be all for it.)

Ever-interested in 'magic bullets' for my 30yr gelding and his arthritis, I started both my horses on 1tb daily of turmeric last year after a good friend was talking about how taking turmeric herself was making her aching knees feel so much better.

I put both my horses on it from Feb-May and noticed no difference in their way of going or comfort.

What I did notice in hindsight however is that both my IR ponies breezed through a very long, wet, cool and lush spring without ever having warm feet from gorging on spring grass. I check feet daily, with muzzles in hand if needed, and normally there are about 5 or 6 instances throughout the season where I feel the need to restrict their grazing due to the conditions, any warmth to the feet a dead giveaway. But last year, they were aces despite the grass growing more even lustily than usual.

I started my boys back on turmeric last week in fact in anticipation of the spring. I have no proof the turmeric did squat, but I'm hedging my bets.

Turmeric should be taken seriously though, and as DW said, treated as a drug with unknown side effects. As a blood thinner it can cause a complication in some areas I expect. I'll be taking my horses off of it and talking to my vet about it when I schedule for spring shots.

I just started taking ACV myself actually, the bragg kind. 2tb w/ 1tb honey in a glass of warm water daily. I pee a ton now, I feel less bloated and puffy, I have a wee bit more energy, but most noticeably I have zero cravings for sugar or carbs of any kind. This is exciting for me as I'd like to change my eating habits (I discovered how to bake bread and I can't stop craving it now! ) I happen to really like the taste too, but I'm a big fan on vinegar and brines and pickles, etc. Foolishly, because it smells so nice, I drank a teaspoon of it straight... don't do that, I burned my throat.

Also from what I've read, long term ACV use has been thought to erode tooth enamel, cause uclers, and perhaps calcium deficiency. Again, not to be taken lightly.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

An article in this week's Time magazine tosses all the herbals off the shelf, sorry to say, leaving only Dragon..something...behind. It specifically noted Turmeric is a good food spice, not something to be used as medicine.

I don't have it here with me to offer better detail, but I do recall the turmeric reference, as it had come up here before.

One of my boarders had her horse on ACV (organic) for about a year (I think 1/4 cup -ish) and took her off this past fall. I noticed no difference with the horse before or after.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    An article in this week's Time magazine tosses all the herbals off the shelf, sorry to say, leaving only Dragon..something...behind. It specifically noted Turmeric is a good food spice, not something to be used as medicine.

I don't have it here with me to offer better detail, but I do recall the turmeric reference, as it had come up here before.
    ooh, I'd love to read it if you find it please.

found these opinions with a positive slant on time magazine, but they're old:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0028-2,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...015978,00.html

but can't find the recent story you mention, perhaps they don't publish everything online?

ooh, found this though, thank goodness now to go get healthy...
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/2...r-your-health/
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.