The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Big D blanket sizing

Been a long time since I had one of their sheets. Anyone know whether Big D tends to run true to size, large, or small?

Thanks!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Mine seems pretty true to size, I ordered this year. And for reference, I think it is comparable to Smartpak, Weatherbeeta or Triple Crown sizing, not Rambo sizing which I think runs a little large.

Hope that helps, those are the brands I have for reference.

Runs true to size. I love Big D- their stuff lasts forever!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

They run true to size but tend to be a bit larger and longer in the shoulder than some other brands.

If you buy cotton or cotton duck, buy up one size. They will shrink in the wash one size.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

They run true to size but tend to be a bit larger and longer in the shoulder than some other brands.
    Oh, perfect.

Thanks for your help all.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Runs true to size. I love Big D- their stuff lasts forever!
    So true -- I still use 4 Big D stable blankets we bought in 1992! They all look great. Amazing.

I am really enjoying the Big D turnout I bought this year. It is much more waterproof than my Rambos. The Rambo horses come in with a soaked blanket but can be dryish under it but often have patches of damp somewhere where the waterproofing fails over time, so you have to re-proof them. The Big D comes in pretty dry already, the water just rolls off and the horse is toasty under. It is impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I am really enjoying the Big D turnout I bought this year. The Big D comes in pretty dry already, the water just rolls off and the horse is toasty under. It is impressive!
    Cool...what are the T/Os made of? I'm madly searching for GorTex turnout blankets whenever I can find them. Since HIB/Classic Coverups went under, I haven't seen anymore GorTex blankets on the market.

The GorTex blankets are the only ones I've ever owned that are 100% waterproof and stay that way forever.

I just bought a Big D turnout sheet for my large pony (14.2) who measures 70 inches. Got a 70 and it fits him really well. It does have a longer drop than some others I've tried - longer than Dover's Rider's Intl but shorter than the Pessoa TO sheet. My guy stayed nice and dry in it during a nasty rainy day and the fabric seems really sturdy (so, hopefully, will last a long time). I am very pleased with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Cool...what are the T/Os made of? I'm madly searching for GorTex turnout blankets whenever I can find them. Since HIB/Classic Coverups went under, I haven't seen anymore GorTex blankets on the market.

The GorTex blankets are the only ones I've ever owned that are 100% waterproof and stay that way forever.
    They aren't Goretex, I am sure, or the ad would say. I am not sure what they are made of....I have this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctclassid=6482

In the shoulder pic you can see that there is sort of a crosshatching pattern to the material. It also has a mesh liner like the old Rambos did, which I prefer to a nylon one in a sheet as nylon is too hot for a sheet I think.

I can't speak for how long it will stay so waterproof because this is its first season, but so far, so good.

I also really like the tail cover, which is bigger/wider than most, it is more a tail cape and keeps out the wet from behind very well.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    They aren't Goretex, I am sure, or the ad would say. I am not sure what they are made of....I have this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctclassid=6482

In the shoulder pic you can see that there is sort of a crosshatching pattern to the material. It also has a mesh liner like the old Rambos did, which I prefer to a nylon one in a sheet as nylon is too hot for a sheet I think.

I can't speak for how long it will stay so waterproof because this is its first season, but so far, so good.

I also really like the tail cover, which is bigger/wider than most, it is more a tail cape and keeps out the wet from behind very well.
    Thanks for the link...I like the way that Big D sheet fits. The shoulder gusset's in the right place, too, which unbelievably is misplaced on so many turn out blankets.

GoFish, I thought the only thing I didn't like about it is that it buckles instead of snaps on the front. But after having *three* other blankets with snap fronts break this winter due to horsey roughhousing (my boys are tough on blankets!), I'm now liking the buckles despite the extra 20 seconds it takes to attach them.

The hardware is nice, nicer than rambo. It seems to be coated with some thick slick paint coating that makes it slide through easily and has those rubber things pre-attached which is nice.