The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One More Time: Horse Show Awards

I know we've discussed this in various ways dozens of times, but I'm in a unique situation here and was hoping some COTH brainstorming would give me some ideas.

I am starting to organize awards for our state 4-H horse show this summer. We need division champion and reserve champion awards as well as class winner prizes. Sounds straightforward enough, right? We have 159 classes. We give champion and reserve champion awards in the following divisions:
    Western (3 age groups)
    Speed Events (3 age groups)
    Roping Events (1 age group)
    Hunter (3 age groups)
    Walking Horse (2 age groups)
    Racking Horse (2 age groups)
    Saddleseat/Pleasure Type (1 age group)
    Spotted Saddle Horse (3 age groups)
    Ranch Horse (3 age groups)

Are you beginning to see the difficulty here? I need to pick out awards that are appropriate for boys and girls from ages 10 to 18 riding pretty much every breed and type of horse that exists, in sizes ranging from miniatures to warmbloods.

Last year we had a lot of help from a local tack store and did beautiful wooden grooming totes (filled with doanted items) for champions and Kensington grooming totes for reserve champions. We did fun colored/shaped grooming tools for class winners.

In previous years we have done chairs, bridle bags, etc. We typically spend about $50 for each champion prize, $30-35 for each reserve prize, and $5 or less for class winner prizes.

So, suggestions? Thoughts?

Hm...
    personalized:
    halter and shank
    quarter sheet or cooler for English disciplines
    hay totes
    bridle or boot bag
    rope bag for performance western events
    affordable personalized watch
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I have no idea of the cost, but I love the plaques they make as awards!

http://www.hikingmedallion.com/HorseShowAwards.html
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

saddle rack or bridle rack
    engraved picture frame/ photo album
    leather chain shank w/ plate
    fleece throw w/ embroidered logo
    duffel/ equipment bag (this has been one of the most useful EVER)
    blanket bag
    stall guard w/ logo
    I've always wanted to win a belt buckle.

Something like this would be awesome (I have my eye on it for a birthday present): http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...6&cm_vc=Search

I think these would be nice for class prizes: http://www.hodgesbadge.com/goat-hair...ush/p/EWSE810/

Although, to be honest, I secretly love trophies, too. The bigger, shinier and tackier the better.

This is 4H and you want to give something useful, not just decorative or a trophy?

We usually get a first place item to go with the ribbon, in our local Academy tournament, something small, breed christmas ornament, breed necklace, breed logo glasses, breed refrigerator white board, breed lawn flag, like that. There's a particular saddlebred image that they use, I know it's a famous horse in a painting but I'm darned which one it is.
    Then at year end there's a big dinner at a pizza place etc.. You get the championship ribbon and engraved glassware.

Would it bother you to do a repeat of last year's gifts? Are the same people likely to win or is it shaping up that others have improved in their divisions?

Some stuff you'll never get tired of-my trainer needs work halters and coolers all the time, fly spray and feed, in the current economic climate maybe a gift certificate to the tack shop so people can get the little extras they want - the tack tote is wonderful but I can tell you between me and DD we have six of those breed logo water bottles and I was happy with one, thankyou. I'd absolutely LOVE a gift certificate to Southern States, TSC or a local tack shop with a good selection.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We have historically bought multiples of the same prize for all divisions. I think coolers/dress sheets for champion and scrims or Irish knits for reserve would be nice, but I'm not sure that all of our kids would actually use them. Plus, with things like sheets or halters, size becomes an issue. This is something I'm personally sensitive to, since the one time my horse won a year-end award, we were given a rain sheet in size 80. I ride a 15.1 hand Arab cross! The organization bought ALL the awards (except for the pony divisions) in the same size - a size that someone decided was "average". Note to organizations everywhere: not all hunters are 17 hand warmbloods!

So, we'll have to talk about whether we *have* to do the same award for all divisions or can vary them. That gets a little tricky, though, because you have to avoid any suggestion whatsoever that one discipline is "better" than the others.

We generally do have quite a few consistent winners from year to year, so repeating last year's prizes are not an option. We can't do gift certificates to the local tack shop because these kids come from all over the state - some as many as 5 hours away. A TSC/Co-Op type gift certificate would be more universal location-wise but probably not terribly useful for our hunter or saddleseat kids - you can only spend so much on shampoo and fly spray!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Love love love chairs. Also small clippers for fetlocks/muzzles. Water buckets with assorted goodies like fly spray, show sheen, horse goodies etc. Depending on how urbane your group is a quarter sheet might baffle some. They aren't mainstream in some groups. If you don't mind going kinda out there and away from horsey i-Pod shuffles are like $45. Boys might not think very highly of the picture frame or photo album. Fleece zip ups with logo are always awesome. You would have a general idea of size based on age group you are awarding it to
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Do you have any local horse artists? I wonder if a gift certificate to champions to have their horse's portrait painted would be well received- I'd certainly think that was fun. I'm also looking now at a very cool prize our local association gave several years ago- a lamp with a photo of my horse and me screened onto the shade. You'd have to give this as a certificate also, but I'm sure I could find the name of the company. I thought it was a little wacky at the time but I love the thing now.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Monogrammed bridle bags, boot bags, or chap bags for the western classes. For speed event prizes, I know a couple of websites make custom neck straps (connect to each side of a western breastcollar over the neck to keep it up and out of the way of your horses shoulders) and that would be a cool, useful prize.
    http://www.runningroantack.com/rrttrobcstrap.html

Well, let's see. You'd be shocked by how much shampoo they use on saddleseat horses, however . . .
    Monogrammed coolers are pretty much one size fits all and suitable across the disciplines. Saddlepads would have to be different for the Western folks but they are always nice. Are portable saddle racks good for Western and English? Folding chairs with a monogram, I've seen a year end rocking chair or park bench with the show name and award fixed on a brass plaque There's always good old fashioned silver trays or decorative dinner type plates. How about an engraved photo frame? I'd love a belt buckle but the big cool ones aren't really to everyone's taste.
    Feed or muck buckets? Heated water buckets or monogrammed bucket cozy?
    Having to give out a prize across the wide range of competitors is hard and you've probably already used up the easier options. I don't want to suggest some on-line tack place even though you might choose that route - the local brick and mortar places are so supportive of nearby events.
    Cute license plate surround or other vehicle accessory? Jacket or other wearable item? Breyer or other collectible? Check Cafepress for all the items they sell, mugs etc. etc.
    That's all I can think of right now, some of them are useless, I know but I hope you come up with something! Good luck!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Will there be a photographer at the show? Can you do a gift certificate for a photo from the show? I have done that before for a show series the competitors seemed to really like it.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I LOVE the stall plates that CDE Driver suggested. While I don't have a stall for my boy, I'd proudly display one in the tackroom or even in my house. What a cool idea! Their key chains look pretty slick, too, though they may not be appropriate for a prize.

Looking back, the prizes that mean the most to me are the ones that had the show's name on them. I appreciated ANYTHING I won, but after a couple years you use up that fly spray and forget where those brushes came from. I still have a halter and a couple coolers that have the show name embroidered and treasure them greatly (even 10+ years later).

I remember one show where I won several classes and got 12(!!) really nice break away trailer ties. I was happy to win anything (i was lucky to come home with a ribbon most days!) buuuut I still have a box of trailer ties and I'm not sure what to do with them.

If anyone contacts the company who does the stall plates and keychains, I'd love to hear what kind of a price quote they give.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Some of the most useful awards I have won:

Portable ice chest (you know, the soda/beer cooler) that had a metal plaque glued to the outside with the show, year and division printed on it.

Rain sheet with the association/division/year printed on it (you don't want to embroider a rain sheet).

Halter/bridle bag (I won it in 1987 and I still use it today).

Gear bag with the show/division/year embroidered on it.

Directors chairs.

Photo albums with the show/year/division on them.

Nylon halter with the show/division embroidered on them.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Luvinfoofy View Post
    I LOVE the stall plates that CDE Driver suggested. While I don't have a stall for my boy, I'd proudly display one in the tackroom or even in my house. What a cool idea! Their key chains look pretty slick, too, though they may not be appropriate for a prize.

Looking back, the prizes that mean the most to me are the ones that had the show's name on them. I appreciated ANYTHING I won, but after a couple years you use up that fly spray and forget where those brushes came from. I still have a halter and a couple coolers that have the show name embroidered and treasure them greatly (even 10+ years later).

I remember one show where I won several classes and got 12(!!) really nice break away trailer ties. I was happy to win anything (i was lucky to come home with a ribbon most days!) buuuut I still have a box of trailer ties and I'm not sure what to do with them.

If anyone contacts the company who does the stall plates and keychains, I'd love to hear what kind of a price quote they give.
    The problem with the stall plaques is that many BO's would not be too happy about people screwing those into the stall doors. I know mine wouldn't be .

Could you work with a tack store to pick out certain award items like a nice leather halter and then give people a certificate so they could contact the tack store and get the size they want?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Portable ice chest (you know, the soda/beer cooler) that had a metal plaque glued to the outside with the show, year and division printed on it.
    Yes! That's a great idea!

Funny story- my kid sister won a pony classic or some such several years ago, walked back to the trailer with ribbon and pony, only to hear her name being called back over the loudspeakers to "come and pick up her cooler!" She was so thrilled to have won a cooler that she trotted the poor pony back up the hill... only to find that it wasn't a horse cooler, but one for her drinks at the show! After the initial disappointment she's found she much prefers it as it is not outgrown by ponies. It's one of the big rolling ones and it makes a great seat at the shows, or a Corgi-tote when empty.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Yes! That's a great idea!

Funny story- my kid sister won a pony classic or some such several years ago, walked back to the trailer with ribbon and pony, only to hear her name being called back over the loudspeakers to "come and pick up her cooler!" She was so thrilled to have won a cooler that she trotted the poor pony back up the hill... only to find that it wasn't a horse cooler, but one for her drinks at the show! After the initial disappointment she's found she much prefers it as it is not outgrown by ponies. It's one of the big rolling ones and it makes a great seat at the shows, or a Corgi-tote when empty.
    Now, I would love to see a picture of the rolling cooler full of Corgi! I smiled just at the mental image!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thanks for all of the ideas. Some we had thought of; some are new. I think the clippers and coolers (for ice, not horses!) sound interesting. I'll have to check into those, along with some of the others.

We can't give gift certificates to stores or for things that have to be purhased at certain stores (unless they can be ordered online or shipped), since our kids come from such a large geographical area.

For the first place or reserve awards, maybe water bottles with the club or show name on them filled with horse treats? I got a plain Nalgene style water bottle filled with horse treats at a show once and loved it and my horse loved the treats
    My blog:

RAWR

A photo frame engraved with the year and "Champion" would be nice. They can be all the same regardless of division, or you could look around and find frames with both western and English decorations.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    A photo frame engraved with the year and "Champion" would be nice. They can be all the same regardless of division, or you could look around and find frames with both western and English decorations.
    I like this idea too!