The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Small things you'd like to see.

Are there any small insignificant things you would like to see our horse trial organizers do?

For example here are a couple of mine:

On event's web-site, a map of the grounds and a map showing where your stabling assignments are located.

Mailing ribbons. Especially with so many running XC on the last day, it can be a long wait, before placing is official. I'd pay a little extra.

Can you imagine how nice the sound of a cold beer cracking open would be as you're coming off XC, might require some to carry ID XC, but worth it? (just kidding)

open course walk before 2pm the day before. I don't travel far, and I typically show alone, so I prefer to walk the course the day before. I completely understand how difficult and time consuming it is to get a course ready. But, It can be hard to get everything packed up, horse ready, etc AND make it to walk my course before dark. If I could go in the morning, it would be much easier! My horse stands quietly tied to the trailer, but I do hate leaving her tied so long alone when I am traveling alone, when I have to walk my course the day of. I don't mind if people are still out staking, painting, etc.

agree with a map of the grounds so you have an idea where to head at an unfamiliar venue.

oh, and no port-a-potties right next to dressage rings. That door slamming can be quite ditracting

KK has great ones!!
    I esp would like the course open earlier. I travel a distance to shows and try to get in early. Then we have wait to walk. And often is getting late by the time we get back from the hotel, etc we went to do to kill time.
    And if I want to walk it twice, there isn't usually time to do it twice.

And a map of course

REAL directions to the grounds. Some shows have the most vague directions known to man. No big deal in a car but with rig it is a trick to find some place to turn aournd since very few venues on major roads where there are frequent or safe turn arounds. LOTS of signs on the road before the entrance would be nice too. Esp for those that have multiple entrances.

Portapotties by warm up areas. For us nervous ones!

tall mounting blocks near warm ups. For the just in cases.

A map by the dressage warm of which ring is which!! And the signal they are using.

A actual bulletin board in or at the show office where poeple can put up announcements, esp regarding braiders!!

Start putting the evaluation forms back in the packets and place at the show office to put them in case you had time to fill it out at the show. Once home I forget to mail them, or they don't say where to mail them. And doing them on line? Ha!

Shavings at realistic and competative prices!!

Actually enforcing the no loose dogs rules. "On leash" doesn't mean a dog with a leash on it running around while the owner is one of many people obvilous to the dog while they are walking courses, teaching students, tacking up, etc. And the no vehicles on course rules. Why are some people special enough to use their golf carts on course walks but us peons aren't?

Don't ask us to take our pinnies off after the finish line. We can't get them off over our helmets and I am not keen on taking my helmet off while on a horse that just came in off XC and is still jazzed.

Speakers that you can actually UNDERSTAND and are in all the barns so you can actually know what is going on.

Having said this, most all the venues do WONDERFUL jobs and we could not do what we do without them!!

I'd love it if they would sell bags of ice to competitors after XC. I am usually at an event with no relatives/friends/SO to send to buy ice after XC. If I have a car, and there's a close gas station, great. If not, I am sometimes SOL, and I hate to not ice my horse after running.

These things, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    I esp would like the course open earlier.
    Portapotties by warm up areas. For us nervous ones!
    Tall mounting blocks near warm ups. For the just in cases.
    If by some miracle of God you are running ahead of schedule, please don't move things up... and whenever possible spread out the schedule. I did an event last year with barely 60 minutes between each phase, with long walks to each ring/ start box. I'm a single adult and have to do all the horse care and tack/ costume changes alone... please take pity on me.

Stadium course diagrams in the packet, please!

Please let us school XC after - even a 30 minutes window just to get over the ditch full of gators or the one we're not sure how we got over.

Water in warmup. I would pay extra for it.

But mostly, this:
    Having said this, most all the venues do WONDERFUL jobs and we could not do what we do without them!!

I agree on a big thanks for all the hard work organizers do.

I would LOVE a grounds map though. Oh my god would this help with being prepared!!

Some already do mail ribbons -- I know I had a lovely ribbon mailed to me after VA HT, it was such a great surprise!

How about if packets were available at the entrance? UNH does this and it is fabulous. Drive in and RIGHT THERE are cheery volunteers under a tent with all the packets. Brilliant! You get your maps, numbers, etc., etc. without having to walk a country mile when your horse has just come off a trailer ride. I LOVE this, UNH, thank you!
    Of course, a million thanks to all organizers, volunteers, everyone who makes the game possible.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

A lot of our events are held at a private venue... that also has a pub... and an owner who is generous with the keg set up in a tent near the rings at the end of the day for those of age...

I'd love to get the stadium courses in the packet. And I'd REALLY like to see us change to that system of pinnys where they give out paper to go into a holder purchased by riders. I can't seem to get the ones HTBC hands out on correctly and get them to stay put!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I would also LOVE to get stadium course maps inside my packet. I am "course learning challenged" and would appreciate some extra time learning the course.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    A lot of our events are held at a private venue... that also has a pub... and an owner who is generous with the keg set up in a tent near the rings at the end of the day for those of age...

I'd love to get the stadium courses in the packet. And I'd REALLY like to see us change to that system of pinnys where they give out paper to go into a holder purchased by riders. I can't seem to get the ones HTBC hands out on correctly and get them to stay put!
    What event is this? I need to attend!!

Love the idea of a map of dressage ring layout AND a stadium course map in packets! It's hard when there is no dressage steward handy and no visible numbers on the rings from warm-up.

Yes!! No moving times up when ahead!! Sure, take people early if they are ready and you're ahead. I do NOT like coming into warm-up, I'm the only one there, and it's 15 minutes to my ride time and the steward is rushing me, telling me they are early so I HAVE to ride now. uh, no, I don't. and you've just streessed me out. thanks.

OTOH If dressage is running extremely late, and times are already tight, please inform stadium that riders from ring X will be delayed. I had dressage run AN HOUR behind once. I was riding my test when I was supposed to have been starting my course. At least everything was close. But I was alone and had to quickly change equipment/clothes and rush to stadium. And this was horses 2nd event. So we had a greenie stop at the first fence because of rushing so much we didn't get to relax and she just went AHHHH!!!!

In the end, thank you everyone for everything you do. I help out at my farms events, and a ton of time, money, and effort goes into putting these on. It is apreciated!

And don't forget to thank each and every volunteer you speak to. I'm suprised how many X-C starters tell me I was the first person to thank them that day.

Quote Originally Posted by barnmaven View Post

Can you imagine how nice the sound of a cold beer cracking open would be as you're coming off XC, might require some to carry ID XC, but worth it?
    This!

Last year at a starter trial the stadium was in a grass area roped off on three sides with a tree line as the fourth side. After the Training rounds, they took the liverpool, extra poles, gates, etc and threw them along the tree line. 90% of the Novice horses reacted to the treeline, everything from hairy eyeball to fire-breathing dragon. I wish they would have put the extras somewhere else.

Yes, yes, yes to the stadium courses in packets. How in the world could I have forgotten that!!

YES.
    Open earlier for walking....please....it is so hard to do it and get home to feed...please help the working folks out by making courses open at noon or something.....

and grounds maps. I think we all assume everyone knows where this and that is...and the truth is, everyone doesn't know, and it's so nice when maps are available. Bathrooms, food, water, parking, etc.

Any organizers out there, if you have trouble getting a map or having one available on your website -- just ASK US. Someone here on COTH can help you find a way to make the map and get it posted on your website, find a mapping service online to help you, etc.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Hot tubs and wine at the end of each day!

If at all possible in your layout, I know it depends upon the facility you have but, could you make it so the lower level horses are not warming up for dressage next to where people are jumping? Really makes a difference with a greenie!

Would buying three or four extra sets of ribbons so the most expensive event in Area II didn't have 30 horse divisions be considered a small thing?

Jennifer

Just a small request, but water after xc would be heavenly, for those of us who show alone.

Second the request NOT to have to give up our pinnies after xc - my head is plenty big enough and my helmet bigger....not gonna come off unless I remove my helmet first. I'll return it, I promise!

I second thirdCharm - 30 horse divisions? Really? I'll stick with the unrecognized stuff if that happens too often. sure, it's a thrill when you ribbon in a division that big, but us little smurfs have paid a LOT of our hard earned cash for the chance at a ribbon, please!

that said, THANK YOU to all the show organizers and volunteers out there. We couldn't do it without you.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I second the smaller divisions post. Not that eventing is all about the ribbons, but it's rather intimidating to see like 32 JNR riders and only one division.

More volunteers at stadium warm up

I would also like to see organizers be a little more strict about what fence judges can bring/do on course. Most of the time they're great, but it just bugs me so much when it's not raining and they still have a giant umbrella! Also Ive had judges position themselves in the spookiest places (ie behind a tree or bush near the jump) But this is just me being nit picky

Facility maps is a good idea!

What's the problem with taking pinney's off after XC? You mean you don't dismount, loosen your girth and noseband, and walk your horse back to the trailer? After what he just did for you?

Also, from an organizer's point of view, people coming to events alone with no ground crew is a nightmare. Dangerous, and very inconvenient for others on the day you get hurt or have trouble with your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kkindley View Post
    And don't forget to thank each and every volunteer you speak to. I'm suprised how many X-C starters tell me I was the first person to thank them that day.
    Great point! I helped out at a couple dressage shows locally, and the only people who thanked me who weren't running the show were a judge and the top trainer in the state. (But on the plus side, it's great to know the top trainer in the state is super nice.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed