The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Verhan Odessey

I'll second the Neidersuss Symphonie! I also had a Stubben that worked on my short-backed critter as well.

Thanks, for suggestions; many of these I've only seen in pictures making it hard to guess what might fit my guy. At least I now have some places to start.

catchme, lovely pair you are, very nice. I bet he is a really good boy, he has such a focused look on his face.

Passier JUST came out with a dressage saddle for "compact" horses.

I just got a Hopfner saddle for my short backed Friesian cross mare. Made a major difference and I am very pleased.
    Look at Skylands Saddlery........she has a large used inventory and also sells new Schleese saddles among others. They have a 14 day door to door trial for used.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    My friend has a Schleese Wave for her short-backed arab. It's the only thing that's truly fit him, and it's a 17.5" too. Everything else sat too far onto his loins.
    My mare (a WB with some AA blood) has a short back combined with huge, sloping shoulders. We ended up having to go with a custom Schleese Wave. Unfortunately, medical reasons have kept me from being able to ride her myself since we got the saddle, but a friend rode her in a clinic for me and the difference in my mare's movement was worth every cent the saddle cost.

I would go with a Prestige 2000D. I have an older one and it's a wonderfully comfortable saddle that really stays in place, even when your girth isn't very tight!
    My horse has a short wide back and decent withers, so that can be a hard combination sometimes.
    Another advantage to Prestige is that they can be adjusted about 4 sizes up or down, so you can keep them for years from horse to horse. Worth teh investement!
    Good luck- saddle searching can be a real bear!

I also have much to say about the Schleese Wave. My Thoroughbred has a long back, but short saddle support area. The Wave has done wonders for him. He goes quite well in it.
    Carli
    dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.

it's not the length of the back that is the issue, it's the length of the saddle support area itself that you have to accommodate. Schleese has some good videos about this on their youtube channel to help you determine the proper length for your horse.

Default I just got a Lovatt & Ricketts Ellipse dressage saddle....

I'm scouring for information on this saddle, because I JUST bought a used one for my very broad-backed, round, Morgan mare

It's being shipped to me now, and I've contacted Lovatt & Ricketts directly to get more info on it (serial number)

I know it's made with a hoop tree, has upswept panels and is shaped so that the shoulder has lots of room. I'm HOPING it fits my mare, but I bought it "blindly" just based on the features/description and feedback I've heard about this saddle.

My mare has big shoulders, a wide back, not much withers, and is somewhat compact (15.3 on her tip toes)

I love that these are made in England, super high quality, and really have the back-shape in mind for Morgans, Arabs, Cobs, Friesians, Halflingers or compact WBs.

I'm excited about it! I just pray it fits. She's in the XW gullet on my Bates Close Contact saddle (we do eventing)

If it doesn't fit, I have to sell it......

Glad to see it mentioned on this thread! Check out my mares' back/build:
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...pplessmall.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...hite_hairs.jpg[/

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I have short backed and very wide Arabians... the two saddle makers I have been most impressed with are Passier (Love my GG) and Lovatt & Ricketts (AKA Arabian Saddle Co.). They make saddles that fit the short and wide backed .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

May I quietly poke my nose in here, cuz I have the same problem with my Clyde-X, Penny

I have a Stackhouse AP that sorta mostly fits, but she is coming up sore in the loins too, since it's just a bit too long for her short, scoopy back. It also isn't the greatest fit for me Penny's wide, but not table-topped, which is why my Duett didn't work on her either.

I'm wanting to move to a dressage saddle, since I find sitting deep and tall is more comfortable for me, even tho I'm strictly a trail/pleasure/whatever rider now.

Would you all still make the same suggestions as you did to the OP? I did check the Lovatt & Ricketts models, but believe they're still designed more for the flat-backed/table top horse.

Thank you for your patience with lil ole' Non-Dressagy me
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We have a Schleese Triumph for our short backed Morgan gelding. My husband needs an 18.5" saddle, but a regular one at that size is too long, so Schleese built this saddle on a shorter tree but made the seat 18.5" and it works really well. I can see where the Wave would also work well for short backed horses. I have one for my mare, but she has a long back.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default The Lovatt & Ricketts CAN work, depends on Tree Width/Size

Actually, since your Clyde cross will have HUGE SHOULDERS, you may still need/want the hoop-tree on the Lovatt & Ricketss Ellipse dressage saddle.

Even though she isn't a table-top or what I call "propane tank" shape.....if you get one of their saddles with the MEDIUM or MEDIUM/NARROW tree (versus a Wide or Extra Wide), you may be in really good shape!

I have a Belgian draft who has a huge set of withers and is not a table-top/propane-tank either, but he has a MASSIVE shoulder and his back REALLY BROADENS QUICKLY, post-wither.

Definitely hard to fit these types....

The Lovatt & Ricketts I'm getting may be too narrow for my "propane tank" mare, if so, I'll have to sell it (for cheap too)

You can talk to Trumbell Mountain Tack - they are the BEST and are most familiar with dressage saddles for big shouldered and/or wide horses.

Meant to add: PENNY IS FRIGGIN GORGEOUS!!! OMG, that is my type of horse. Where did she get that HUGE ROUND curvy butt? She doesn't really have a draft-butt Love love love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    May I quietly poke my nose in here, cuz I have the same problem with my Clyde-X, Penny

I have a Stackhouse AP that sorta mostly fits, but she is coming up sore in the loins too, since it's just a bit too long for her short, scoopy back. It also isn't the greatest fit for me Penny's wide, but not table-topped, which is why my Duett didn't work on her either.

I'm wanting to move to a dressage saddle, since I find sitting deep and tall is more comfortable for me, even tho I'm strictly a trail/pleasure/whatever rider now.

Would you all still make the same suggestions as you did to the OP? I did check the Lovatt & Ricketts models, but believe they're still designed more for the flat-backed/table top horse.

Thank you for your patience with lil ole' Non-Dressagy me
    Last edited by Fancy That; Mar. 22, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    omg she's gorgeous!

short, wide back, withers, uber curvy, big moving shoulders. To me says you need:

curvy tree, short/upswept panel, wide panels, wide channel for spine clearance (though if she's muscular you can probably get away with a medium width channel), possibly cutback head, half panels not a bad idea, with the correct shaped gullet she's probably a regular wide but could be as small as a generous M-MW.

not knowing your size requirements, or her gullet width, quick browse through ebay, these strike me as worth investigating:

flaps might be too forward though, and tree might not be curvy enough, but I had an old Barnsby and it was plenty curvy
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Barnsby-Dressage...item27b9933efa

the back end might be too full on this one and press down harshly on her loins, it really depends on how the curve matches hers
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Amerigo-Dressage...item45f95b5f7e

looks like the right curve and panel length, but can't tell gullet or panel footprint
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Collegiate-Jessi...item3f085ac876

this is probably a dead-on winner (though in hindsight perhaps a bit too banana in the very back end:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/County-Competito...item4aa98b6cea

this too, probably a winner (really bad photos in this ad, I just so happen to know the saddle make/model well)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Baines-Dre...item3365f76c5b

in a wide with a less sloping panel angle:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DEMO-VEGA-AMERIG...item4aa978d12c

perhaps, for some reason it intrigues me for your mare:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-SIGNATURE-S...item4aa978d152

hard to tell, but might be a possibility:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Prestige-Golden-...item3f083fdc55

also a maybe depending on how dippy she is by the wither area, the photo gives me the impression she's a M-MW-W depending on how well the gulllet fits her, she seems to have a lot of shapely-ness going on in the wither area if that made sense? this one isn't quite as far out of the realm as it seems:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Stubben-Romanus-...item3cb61f4f58

this is just a 10 min stroll through the first page of ads on ebay.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Thank you for your kind comments on Penny and assistance on saddle choice. I'm quite verklempt actually...

I bought her virtually sight-unseen 5 years ago from Babb-Murphy Ranch of Gays Mills, Wisconsin - via her ad on DraftWarmbloods.com. With just pictures and a video, I knew she was the horse I'd been wanting all my life. AND, yes, she's a PMU baby. Clydesdale dam, Standardbred sire. Sooo, she is built, colored and lightly feathered like a clyde, but moves like a standardbred... She out-trots everyone.

She was given a solid Dressage Foundation in her training, as well as driving single and double. She will also willingly and energetically jump whatever, as long as it's worth her while.... low stuff she just stomps on

I shall peruse the links provided above and give a holler to Trumball Mtn folks for trials. Hmmm, wonder if they'll take my Stackhouse in trade?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Just bought a Schleese Link II last week for my short backed girl, the HK and many of there other saddles fit her too this on was just a favorite for both her and I. As another poster mentioned freedom for shoulder movement is amazing and the support for the saddle is where it belongs. They also offer a 30 day trial so you make sure you like the saddle before you spend the $$ and yup the price tag can make you cringe but it it works for both of us like I think it will, it will be worth every penny. Taken care of should last a good long time.

I am in Michigan and Luanne Reaume came up from Toledo and she was wonderful and spent plenty of time with me explaining and letting me try various saddles. Was eye opening for sure. Good luck in your search!

Just bringing this back, cuz I'm peeking at a Frank Baines. Any input? Thanks

My Morgan mare is not extremely wide, but she does have that broad flat back... and good withers. Just tried a MW tree FB Reflex last week and we both LOVE it. The panels fit her perfectly and it's comfortable for me (once I took out the huge blocks, which are attached w/Velcro.) Question now is can I find one with short flaps?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    I live where there are no saddle shops, and the only fitters that come here rep only their saddles. I have a warmblood gelding with a VERY short back. Saddles with long panels make him sore over the loins. I like a deep seat and substantial block (long time lurker, I've read those posts) Suggestions? He is also only now level, was downhill for the last few years. Thanks!
    Spirig (makers of SRS saddles)
    http://www.spirigsaddlery.com/
    is going to be at some PRE show being held in Las Vegas on Labor Day week. I found them hugely accommodating for my extremely short-backed Lusitano.
    Last edited by pluvinel; Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM.