The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2005
    Location
    mid-atlantic
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    I came across a bunch of used Roosli Luzernes in a recent saddle-surf-fest - I think at Pelham.

    Also, check out L'Apogee. They have an extreme shoulder-relief feature, non-gusseted panels that still manage to have decent weight-bearing, and the seat is on the shallower side. Flap length & block placement is customize-able. Horses seems to like them. The rep in Virginia is responsive and knowledgeable. I can find her contact # if anyone needs it.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Thanks Retrofit

    I just looked at Pelham, and they have one in a M! But... Mr. Orange Princess needs a M/W in Roosli.

    I like the L'Apogee suggestion. Will have to look for used though, new is sadly out of my budget....



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2002
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    I'm bumping this to see if you all who decided on "your saddles" ended up having long term success with them...;-)



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2010
    Location
    nevada
    Posts
    262

    Default

    The Trilogy is still working on my gelding, and I am still surprised as it wasn't made for a particularly short backed horse.



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan. 1, 2010
    Posts
    281

    Default

    I just had my Kieffer Luisitano adjusted and flat shorted, and it is even better! I really fires my mare, very deep and secure, yet I can move in it so I'm happy! Free adjustments for 2 years so thrilled. I almost forgot that I really wanted a Wolfgang Constanze.



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    136

    Default saddle for SHORT back

    No-one has mentioned SOMMER saddles- infinitely adjustable (like a passier or schleese), made in Germany, available with a relief panel for shoulder freedom and with short panels for 'compact' horses. I have a Sommer Diplomat for my 15hh Arab/Hano mare. We had a Passier GG but even that was too long and pressed on her loins. I'm very pleased with this one, and more important the horse is comfortable.



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Well my saddle saga didn't go quite as planned.

    I took a stubben genesis D http://www.doversaddlery.com/st%C3%B...FZKk4AodvFsANQon trial - and it was perfect. (not the Cathrine Haddad one) Very upswept cantle, half panels and not too bulky for me, the knee roll was pretty unobtrusive. The horse's stride opened up unbelievably, his back and shoulder was so free.

    Unfortunately, towards the of the trial, he got hurt really bad and ended up having to be put down about a month later.

    My new horse just turned 4, and is about a year away from needing a dressage saddle (and he's rapidly growing lol) but he has a more normal length back. This dude will still need an upswept panel, but I don't foresee to many difficulties as his back shape is fairly standard.



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2002
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdNstraight View Post
    I just had my Kieffer Luisitano adjusted and flat shorted, and it is even better! I really fires my mare, very deep and secure, yet I can move in it so I'm happy! Free adjustments for 2 years so thrilled. I almost forgot that I really wanted a Wolfgang Constanze.
    What does "flat shorted" mean? Is this a new saddle? The rep told you free adjustments for 2 years?!?! I've never heard of that before, wow!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Well my saddle saga didn't go quite as planned.

    I took a stubben genesis D http://www.doversaddlery.com/st%C3%B...FZKk4AodvFsANQon trial - and it was perfect. (not the Cathrine Haddad one) Very upswept cantle, half panels and not too bulky for me, the knee roll was pretty unobtrusive. The horse's stride opened up unbelievably, his back and shoulder was so free.

    Unfortunately, towards the of the trial, he got hurt really bad and ended up having to be put down about a month later.

    My new horse just turned 4, and is about a year away from needing a dressage saddle (and he's rapidly growing lol) but he has a more normal length back. This dude will still need an upswept panel, but I don't foresee to many difficulties as his back shape is fairly standard.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your horse, that's awful! Thanks for the review on the Stubben....



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2002
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demidq View Post
    No-one has mentioned SOMMER saddles- infinitely adjustable (like a passier or schleese), made in Germany, available with a relief panel for shoulder freedom and with short panels for 'compact' horses. I have a Sommer Diplomat for my 15hh Arab/Hano mare. We had a Passier GG but even that was too long and pressed on her loins. I'm very pleased with this one, and more important the horse is comfortable.
    Are there reps for these saddles? Honestly, I've never seen one or someone with one...I bought one of their bridles years ago and it's fantastic....



  10. #70
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    My horse has all kinds of saddle fit issues. He has a very short wide & very curvy back. High & long wither and a forward girth groove. To make matters worse, I need an 18 inch saddle. I have been riding in a Barefoot London for over a year and absolutely HATE it. Well, I finally found the solution!!!
    Heather Moffet's new Flexee Saddle just came out. I have been waiting for this saddle for a year and a half, hoping that it would work for us. I have had it for a week now and it is WONDERFUL. It fits my horse, it doesn't slip into the dip of his back, It puts me in perfect position and it is extremely comfortable and stable. It has a leather tree and fits like a treeless, but to the rider feels more like a treed saddle. Oh- and all the thousands of $$$$ I have spent on saddles and saddle fitting- this saddle is only about $700. It's synthetic, no more oiling leather!



  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,039

    Default

    Oooh I'm going to have to look into that. You and I have the same damned horse
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6029/5...5c6a22ebea.jpg

    and the same saddle needs. I have an EZ fit endurance that fits like a charm, but no dressage saddle.

    Thank you so much!

    ETA: Do you have a US contact person for this saddle?

    Paula
    Last edited by paulaedwina; May. 28, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan. 1, 2010
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Sorry I meant flaps shortened!



  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug. 23, 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    442

    Default

    There are several options for the short back. The Balance saddle works very well for a wide short back. Saddles that have a more open seat allow a rider to work with a smaller seat and thus a smaller profile on the horse's back. Upswept panels are also an option but can be hard to find unless ordered specifically.
    Many saddle companies are also willing to shorten a panel, for instance, Black Country and Schleese can do a 17.5 seat with a 17" panel.



Similar Threads

  1. Crosby PSG dressage saddle for a short back?
    By paulaedwina in forum Dressage
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Sep. 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
  2. saddle for mutton withers, short back
    By mayfair in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: May. 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
  4. ME: long legs HORSE: short back SADDLE HELP!!!!
    By Petstorejunkie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2009, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness