The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Saddle for SHORT back

I live where there are no saddle shops, and the only fitters that come here rep only their saddles. I have a warmblood gelding with a VERY short back. Saddles with long panels make him sore over the loins. I like a deep seat and substantial block (long time lurker, I've read those posts) Suggestions? He is also only now level, was downhill for the last few years. Thanks!

My friend has a Schleese Wave for her short-backed arab. It's the only thing that's truly fit him, and it's a 17.5" too. Everything else sat too far onto his loins.

Default I agree

Schleese wave is great for short back and down hill.
    Friesians Rule !!

schleese and verhan are your two best brand choices for short backed horses.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Plenty of saddles good for short backs, just look for short or upswept panels, that is usually a foam or part foam panel (which I happen to like).

Of the ones I've owned, ainsley, an older prestige, non gusseted passier, dominus, crosby, lauriche, kb santis, saddle exchange comfort, off the top of my head.

depending on your horse's build and your budget, give roosli and jaugar a look too.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

After years of saddle-trying for my short-backed horse..........I have to agree with Buck 22. Look for a short and swept-up panel (the one that you sit on). The newer, comfy-looking big and flared panels that you see on most of the new saddles just don't seem to work. I like the Prestige 2000D, the Albion Classical, older model Passier.

My Trilogy Verago has allowed my very short-backed horse (he's only 15.2 so we're talking a really short back) to be comfortable in a treed saddle for the first time. It the right saddle, but in the end it's the saddle fitter who makes it work (or not).
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I have short backed and very wide Arabians... the two saddle makers I have been most impressed with are Passier (Love my GG) and Lovatt & Ricketts (AKA Arabian Saddle Co.). They make saddles that fit the short and wide backed .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I have an older Barnsby model (Raven) that fits my short, wide-backed Arabian perfectly.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I've tried the Wave, I wasn't crazy about it, the Verhan looks great but I'm told it has a wide twist. Currently I am riding him in a Trilogy, but the panels are too long. Do the newer Prestige not work as well as the older? Does anyone have any experience with the D2? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Do the newer Prestige not work as well as the older? Does anyone have any experience with the D2? Thanks.
    I have no experience with the D2 (D1??), but on the contrary, look at the models and how short and upswept many of the panels are
    http://www.prestigeitaly.com/elenco.php?cat=2
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I had a woman come up to me absolutely bewildered at a dressage show (we mainly evented). She looked at me and said, "where do you put the saddle on that horse?! There's no room!" I was just laughing! My horse was very short backed, and I loved my Niedersuss Symphonie. The block isn't huge, but you can definitely feel it there and the seat is very comfortable. It has pretty short flaps too.

Here's the little devil: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/26103...05127499pbfoZT

And in his dressage saddle:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29547...05127499UQnOCP
    ~Isabel

I had a 15.2 Anglo-Arab/Trakehner gelding with an itty bitty back. My 16.5" Passier GG rode up his neck because it was just too long for him. I think they come with options now for a shorter panel?? I ended up going with a Schleese HK (the Wave and Triumph have the same short panels), which worked. The Schleese's also have an option for a cut-back in the shoulder area to free up the shoulder. But the price tag is a little crazy.

Hey, I didn't say anything about being sane.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep. I had good luck with niedersuss also. I bet some of the newer Prestige styles would work well. I just don't have experience with them as I found the 2000D and the albion classical and haven't had to continue the endless saddle fit search. For my horse, the prestige tree is just a little tight under the stirrup irons and the albion tree shape a wee bit better--but this is extreme nit-picking and only relevant to my particular horse. Both saddles, in addition to the Passier GG and the Neidersuss, fit her without causing loin discomfort. I didn't realize that all of the saddles she liked have tiny little panels until well into my saddle search........then it became a trend too obvious to ignore.

My mare has a fairly short back. I ride in an older Barbsby Richard Davison and I love it. Found it for a great deal.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Quote Originally Posted by GreyStreet View Post
    My mare has a fairly short back. I ride in an older Barnsby Richard Davison and I love it. Found it for a great deal.
    Ditto this. Except my horse doesn't just have a fairly short back he has a really short back . He is also on the wider side and has fairly prominent withers.

Pic of him in the saddle here (and he is doing way better than the pic suggests- he was having a bad day but this is the best pic I have unfortunately):

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSC_0053.jpg
    My blog:

RAWR

Sorry for being off topic, but CatchMeIfUCan I love your horse's mane! We had a lovely buckskin QH at our barn that looked great in a roached mane, but it was roached much closer than your horse's mane. How do you do that/maintain that so nicely?

myvanya, good picture and the saddle looks like a great fit, it is an older Barnsby? Looks like it has good blocks, how wide is the twist? Thanks

Thanks! So far it is working really well. Considering how hard it was to find a jumping saddle I lucked out with the dressage saddle.

Though I am not an expert I believe the twist on the Richard Davison is on the narrow side. Mine is a pretty wide tree as well (#4 with #5 being the widest they make). I find the blocks really comfortable and the flaps run on the long side which is a good thing for me as I have pretty long legs. I would have to check which year it was actually made but I haven't seen many. It was the first dressage saddle I sat in on my horse I didn't feel like I was riding down a hill in and was actually comfortable for my seat so I am pretty crazy about it I will see if I can dig out more info on it if you want- just let me know.
    My blog:

RAWR

Hennig?