The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter boots and gloves

I know it is the end of winter (hope), but my winter wear plain wore out.

My gloves have holes in all the fingers, and I discovered a hole in my paddock boots while putting in a fence post that the lazy useless good for nothing horses broke in their break for freedom this week.

I am looking for warm winter paddock boots that are at least waterproof to the laces, no zippers please. It gets into the teens here.

Also the same with winter gloves, something warm that I can muck stalls and ride in.

Muck Boots - bought a pair last fall (Jobber, I think) and they are paddock boot height and toasty, even yesterday at 15 below; even keep my feet warm in the tractor cab and that takes some doing as there is NO heat on the floor level. These are slip-ons though.

Gloves - anything by Remington. The winter gloves are warm and waterproof. They are also fugly but warm trumps fugly. Full leather palm and fingers for good grip to boot.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I just bought a pair of the SSG 10 below gloves and I love them! Great grip for doing stalls or riding, waterproof so you can still muck in the rain and pretty warm. I use liners if it's in the 20s or below. I've been very impressed with the dexterity that you have with them-the best of any of the warmer winter gloves I've had so far.

You know, I got a beautiful pair of Mountain Horse gloves that are waterproof. I wanted them for the cold cold evenings where I wouldn't be riding, necessarily, but still doing barn chores. And they were bulky (understandable) but not as warm as my $10 or so pair of SSG fleece gloves with the cuff. However, those weren't waterproof.

But I went to REI to get a pair of yaktrax, and ended up buying their almost waterproof gloves - very thin, so you don't lose dexterity, and waterproof except that the seams aren't sealed, not that that made any difference. I used them in sub zero temps filling water buckets and etc, and they were great. I forget the name, I can check on that!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Love those Yaktrax!

Please do share the name of the gloves.
    For years, I've been using the Thinsulate lined deerskin gloves but this year they just aren't holding up to keeping my hands warm enough.

I second the Muckboots recommendation. I like the tall ones. Warm, waterproof and easy to get on & off, even fitting over pants. I keep two pairs by the door in winter: the regular soles for dry ground & to put the Yaktrax on in ice, and the more rugged soles for snow & mud.

YakTrax are great...and have been very necessary here the last couple weeks since the many feet of snow has melted/compacted and refroze into sheets of ice. Although if you get really thick and smooth sheet ice, go with clip on cleats. But for almost every other slippery footing the yakTrax work wonders.

I also use Muck Boots. I have both the paddock height and the tall Brit Riders. Wicked warm even in sub-zero when standing still. As waterproof as a duck's arse. However watch the soles if you have slippery ground. They make taller and paddock versions now with lug soles that have a lot more grip. The regular soles are slick as snot at times, which is why I have YakTrax. But the slick soles means you don't track bedding out of your stalls all over your clean aisle and you don't track muck and snow in the house as much.

Only downside to the paddock heights are if you have stork thin legs like mine, then if you slosh water out of a bucket it sloshes right into the top of your paddock boot and fills it up. In winter that's not very fun. Although I gotta say that even if I slop a quart of cold water into my boots, my feet are cold for only about 10 minutes. After that the even the water warms right up! And if you have normal calf sizes you won't have this issue.

Only downside to the taller Brit Rider boots is that they're a bear to yank on over jeans. Your jeans bunch up near the top. So I only use those when I'm wearing fleece lined britches.

I personally prefer step-in boots. I hate to muck with laces.

For gloves I adore the SSG winter ranch and SSG 10 below gloves. They're deerskin with warm lining. Not overly bulky, but I have teeny creepy hands and even though I can find them small enough for me I still have to slide them off sometimes to tie/untie things or for doing blanket buckles sometimes. And I have noticed that they stay pretty waterproof, but if they get soaked on the outside...by the end of the day your hands are stained orange. And even go-jo doesn't get the orange off. Then I have creepy tiny oompa-loompa colored hands.

A neat winter glove trick is to find a good wamr pair that are waterproof or water repellent and a tad too big for your hands. Then wear a pair of latex surgical gloves (CVS, box of 50 pairs for $4) underneath in icy temps. That holds in a buttload more heat, your fingertips never hurt from the cold and your hands don't turn orange.

Anyone scuba dive? I was wondering the other day about scuba gloves. I know people dive in arctic water, which has to be pretty darned cold. I was wondering if finding gloves like those might be a good idea for around a farm in winter. Any thoughts?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm more looking for a boot I can ride in as well, I don't like changing boots in the winter especially when it's cold.

For Christmas I got a pair of Roeckl winter gloves and loved them. I rode in 20+ degrees w/o a liner. They went in the washing machine with no problem, although I let them air dry.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I have Ariat Bromonts which are tall boots and they are quite water proof. I've gone through lots of snow, bathes, stepped into deep/large puddles, etc. in them and have never had them leak. They stay quite warm and are nice enough looking even for clinics. They also aren't all boxy and uncomfortable when riding like the MH winter boots.

I have mountain horse boots which I LOVE for winter. Thinsulate lined keeps my feet nice and toasty...

My favorite gloves are a pair of Ariat insulated Tek grip gloves...they are nice and warm but surprisingly thin. (I live in Michigan so it gets pretty darn cold at times.) Great for riding and for mucking. They have held up wonderfully for me for 3 winters now (riding 1-2x a week and mucking with them 4-6x a week, and even wearing them to work sometimes). Sometimes in the summer when I'm missing a summerweight glove, I'll pull them out too...they are a little warm for summer but they are thin enough that I don't feel like I'm wearing a winter glove!

Misty-I've been wanting to reply to your question for 2 days but kept getting pulled away from the computer!

I have neoprene gloves that I got from LL Bean. I think they are wetsuit gloves but they sell them for fishing (?). They are warm and stay dry even if you dunk your hands underwater. I'm not sure how long they'd last for doing barnwork-they are pretty durable but I only use them for cleaning water troughs or putting ice in ice boots (yes I'm a cold wimp!).

LL Bean sells them for $20.