The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Heard something odd today, has anyone else ever heard of this?

Genetic testing to find out what breed a grade horse is?

I've never heard of it.

Basically a girl is telling me that while the vet was out to see her horse today (Friday) he took a sample and is going to send it off for genetic testing, she will have the results back Monday (yes, this Monday) and they will tell her what breed her horse is.

Am I way off base thinking she's just telling a tale? Is there any way this is possible (the testing part, I pretty much know you aren't going to get DNA results in three days nevermind the fact that it's the weekend).

Does anyone have any insight to give me?

I know you can do it with dogs. Wouldn't surprise me if you can do it with horses too.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

According to a researcher at UC Davis its not possible with horses. Horses haven't been bred as separate breeds long enough for the DNA to be dissimilar enough to tell them apart. That was a few months ago, though so I suppose someone could have come out with one, but not that have heard.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I have heard of it for dogs also but not with horses. It will be interesting to here of the vets findings.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

My understanding is that there are certain marker genes common to certain types of horses like "Spanish" or "draft" markers. The problem is that all those genes do is prove descent, not purity. We run into that all the time with our breed and people wanting to know if we have DNA to prove purity. There is no way to do that. You can find Spanish marker genes in modern QH's for example.

So, I have to agree that it seems unlikely that anyone can do this yet with any accuracy.

What DB said. Even the dog one isn't that accurate. It's mostly used for the owner who wants to know if his adopted pooch is a Pug-Poodle-Lab and it wouldn't make a difference if the test said it's a Boston-Poodle-Lab!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Thanks to everyone who was answered! You are confirming what pretty much everyone is telling me. I shot an email out to UC Davis also, hoping they get back with me soon. This one has got me really curious for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
    What DB said. Even the dog one isn't that accurate. It's mostly used for the owner who wants to know if his adopted pooch is a Pug-Poodle-Lab and it wouldn't make a difference if the test said it's a Boston-Poodle-Lab!
    Exactly! The dog one is NOT accurate in MANY cases. I think it's more of a gimmick idea for the "average" dog owner who wants something fun to do with their dog. These tests are NOT to be taken to heart.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com