The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which green pony?

Which pony do you think has the most potential to be successful in the green ponies and regular ponies? Yes I am looking to WIN. Please explain why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1kI4pk_Jo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCzrzbRr6A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rpjEaNZts

Last one was aweful compared to the first two, I think the bay will get alittle quick at the jump and the first looked alittle quieter, so I would pick the first one based on temperment.

Haven't you posted these videos on COTH before??

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Haven't you posted these videos on COTH before??
    I have posted a similar thread for medium greens, and I bought a medium green, but now I am looking for a large green for this year or next year....

Quote Originally Posted by isis08 View Post
    Which pony do you think has the most potential to be successful in the green ponies and regular ponies? Yes I am looking to WIN. Please explain why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1kI4pk_Jo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCzrzbRr6A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rpjEaNZts
    I can't watch these at work, but at what level do you want to "win?" Local? National? Pony Finals? Where are you located geographically?
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I can't watch these at work, but at what level do you want to "win?" Local? National? Pony Finals? Where are you located geographically?
    I am looking to win (or close to winning) at pony finals/anywhere.. I am in Zone 4- Georgia
    But I do compete all over the east coast (such as WEF, devon, upperville, etc.)

I'll take door #2.
    I wouldn't turn down door #1 (and as someone else said, that would be my right one for some kids).
    Door #3 doesn't interest me.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Here is a better video of the 3rd pony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clonvMNfjvY

Quote Originally Posted by isis08 View Post
    Here is a better video of the 3rd pony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clonvMNfjvY
    It's a better video but the pony is still a no for me. At least as a pony hunter prospect.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

#1 - for the same reasons as Summit Springs...AND i don't like the editing on #2 - it makes me wonder what they cut out...

I didn't watch the whole video (actually didn't get past the trot because full grown men on sale ponies seems to disturb me) but #1 is more typey. While I enjoy the movement on pony 2, I don't really think it is suitable for the Pony Hunter division. Not saying he's not a good mover, but think his type opens him up to a lot of subjectivity, and some judges aren't going to like it. Too athletic.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

#2. I like his trot alot. On a sidenote: I really wanted to yell at the rider to stop staring at himself in the mirror every time he went by.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Just something to consider....ponies of any size being schooled by large adults..esp. over jumps is not a good recipe for longevity in soundness nor in rideability for a child. Obviously this is just my opinion, but based on experience.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    Just something to consider....ponies of any size being schooled by large adults..esp. over jumps is not a good recipe for longevity in soundness nor in rideability for a child. Obviously this is just my opinion, but based on experience.
    My thought was 'why are they being ridden by a giant?'

Also, general question, why is their chin tucked to their chest?

I have to agree with Quicksilverponies, why not get a kid on the ponies? I could barely watch when they started jumping, the rider was too distracting.

#1 looks like more of an all round fancy horse, that could ribbon on the flat as well as over fences
    #2 freak of a mover, but like dags said it could go either in its favor or work against it, depends on who is judging
    #3 looks like an all round packer type, not that fancy, just safe and fun, at least compared to the others

Therefore if I had to go off video I would go for number one.

Default Leaning toward # 1. ~ but keep looking ~

Leaning towards #1. BUT

for "BIG WIN" = keep looking ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

They are all very nice (esp #1) but I don't think they are winning at pony finals nice. JMO
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

For sure #1 or #2 but as others have said, you may want to look some more. Both of those ponies look like they still need a fair amount of work before being able to go and win in the show ring and also look like they could need to be worked down a fair amount first, especially for a child.
    I know you are looking for a green large, but you may want to look at regular division larges too as there are many for sale right now with owners who are willing to drop the price as they are not moving.

Pony # 1 is probably good enough to win at any level HOWEVER

1) the rider is slick- very slick. Highly doubt the pony would look like this video with a kid, and I'm guessing the changes especially from right to left are more tricky than they appear. Also looks like it has jumped those jumps many, many times before video was taken and still takes a peek down every once in a while

2) Does the pony have a card? I would make sure it has a permanent card or have a vet double check measurement

3) Pony is obviously prepared for the video, and there is nothing wrong with that, but take it under advisement

I'm pretty much in agreement with the folks here: NO on the 3rd pony, the bay is a FREAK of nature mover...actually quite like him *but* more interesting as an FEI dressage pony possibly, the 1st pony is the best of the 3 for what you said you're looking for. Same "warning" as above: This guy is a good sales rider and is getting the absolute best out of these ponies, don't expect a kid could do it...maybe but just go in with your eyes open. BTW, OP...do you know the breeding on the 2nd one? I looked on the website and didn't see it, just curious because he's such an athlete...he's my kind of pony.