The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Donnerhall sons?

I know Don Schufro will make the list so I'll start with him.

What others?

I like De Niro and Davignon.

I was going to say Davignon but you beat me to it. LOL We loved Donatelli himself but I wouldn't say as far as a producer he was one of "the best" ones.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Don Gregory and Don Primero definitely belong on that list. I also vote for Dream of Glory (bless his soul)

Yes I mean in terms of production.

Dressage Royal, has produced a world champion from his first foal crop.
    Has been ranked in the top 16 of all dressage stallions in Germany.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

My favourite is Don Frederico.
    In Chris Hector's book the four sons that get a write up as influential stallions of the line are Don Schufro, Don Primero, De Niro and Don Frederico.

I've been told the Don Frederico's can paddle, and some are cribbers. Any truth to that? I do love de Niro, maybe because he has some much phenotype from Akzent II.
    Anne
    -------

My Don Frederico mare paddles very, very slightly, but her legs are straight and she was champion at her Hanoverian inspection last summer. She does not crib, but, she is ultra sensitive and can be reactive, she not hot or spooky. She is also very intelligent, but man, what a diva! She does not have a quiet personality in the slightest. On a different note, I think Dauphin is a super producing Donnerhall son.

In Dobermans, before choosing a stud dog we look to what his littermates are like and what they produced. With respect to Donnerhall, what else did his sire produce? Put another way, Donnerhall's sire stood here in the USA, where are his other notable stallion sons and daughters?

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    I've been told the Don Frederico's can paddle,
    We've heard that too, more than once. I think that with some of DH sons, it's better to purchase what you like, rather than to try to breed it. A good one is wonderful, a not-so-good one can be pretty dismal. The ridability is there, but the package can be less-than pretty.

Default I like De Niro

De Niro has shown a good ability to produce horses with a high ceiling. On SportHorseReports.com he ranks as producing the 5th most USEF grand prix dressage performers in 2010 (Donnerhall is 3rd).

Another attribute which may be of interest to breeders is that in 2010 some of his sons appeared to be doing well as young sires. De Laurentis, Devon Heir and Son de Niro all had horses compete in the 2010 Merkel/FEI Young Horse Series.

We have been thrilled with our Dressage Royal offspring. Beautiful, great movers, great minds. He is just knocking them out of the park as a sire. Maybe he is the right mix of Donnerhall, Rubinstein, Futuro and Magister.

Here is a link to FB photos of our oldest:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...d=160425195238
    Anne
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by W. Crowe - SportHorseReports.com View Post
    .. Another attribute which may be of interest to breeders is that in 2010 some of his sons appeared to be doing well as young sires. De Laurentis...
    I think DeLaurentis is sold to South America...

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    I've been told the Don Frederico's can paddle, and some are cribbers. Any truth to that? I do love de Niro, maybe because he has some much phenotype from Akzent II.
    I completely agree with De Niro. I know everyone loves the Pik Baube cross but IMO it can produce 'clumpers' big heavy- wonderful- but big and heavy horses. I think De Niro is a fabulous blend with Akzent II back there, but then I am biased towards the line.

I like Don Frederico. I personally really like the trakehner blood on the damline. He paddles yes, but not many of his offspring seem to. Of the Don Fredericos I have met (one a stallion and so his children too) all have been stunning, excellent movement, good temperaments. Not cribbers or paddlers. Not spectacular foals, but wonderful once under saddle.

I have my own due in a matter of days out of my beautiful mare ... so will be able to comment further then.

Who cares if they paddle? My horse paddles in hand as his front legs are crooked but you can't really tell under saddle (and he is sound in his teens doing most of the GP stuff ). If it's MAJOR paddling, ok, but from my understanding it is not. My point is, it's a cosmetic concern, not a soundness one. DF himself is a GP horse and was actually quite successful in competition.

I had two DF's. Neither paddled and had super correct legs and a super hind end (and movement). Both were very pretty (but lots of A line on dam's side). DF himself was rumoured to be homely but I thought he was beautiful when I saw him so go figure??

I think they can tend to be hot and that is why I would be very careful about the mare you use him with. But it's a bit unfair to say he isn't one of the best Donnerhall sons because his offspring are not always really pretty or because some wing.We are supposed to be breeding dressage (RIDING) horses here and his record for doing that is very good.

I will say though that my personal fave is De Niro. Love him!

Here's my question..I think Deniro and Don Schufro were born the same year...but DS has 1/20th of the upper level offspring compaired to Deniro but I read and hear about how DS is the best Donnerhall son and his offspring are so sought after but he pales in comparison to Deniro's record. What am I missing?

I think Don Schufro became better known due to his international success, even though de Niro himself was competing at Grand Prix. Now I feel de Niro is the more consistent producer.
    I also love Don Frederico but he does dish very badly, but like others have said does it matter. many stallions here in germany dish, which in the UK is really frowned upon, but here it isnt a problem.
    I also like the Dressage Royal line, I have used his son Damsey and will again. I do like the look of Don Crusador so will be trying to see him in person this year
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

De Niro!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
    I
    I also love Don Frederico
    What about his son, Don Henrico? He looked a bit saucy (probably because he's young) in his video, but he looked really nice. I also like the Lauries Crusader part of his pedigree.

Ok, let's expand this to Donnerhall GRANDsons.