The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So today is our anniversary - I get up to make coffee and lo and behold - a horse country bag is on my chair. We decided not to do gifts this year - but he did it anyway.

Oh goodie, I say, thinking it's a little set of chocolates, or maybe a new stock tie - something a non-hunter would feel safe giving.

Nope! WIRE CUTTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!! He saw me looking at them in Marions catalog and I said that I carried a multi use tool in my sandwich case - but the wire cutters weren't very strong. And one of these days I'd get real wire cutters. On sale, or used - I meant. I was just talking - not hinting.

But ain't he wonderful? I made him a huge breakfast of eggs, virginia ham with biscuits and red eye gravy as thanks.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

So today is our anniversary - I get up to make coffee and lo and behold - a horse country bag is on my chair. We decided not to do gifts this year - but he did it anyway.

Oh goodie, I say, thinking it's a little set of chocolates, or maybe a new stock tie - something a non-hunter would feel safe giving.

Nope! WIRE CUTTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!! He saw me looking at them in Marions catalog and I said that I carried a multi use tool in my sandwich case - but the wire cutters weren't very strong. And one of these days I'd get real wire cutters. On sale, or used - I meant. I was just talking - not hinting.

But ain't he wonderful? I made him a huge breakfast of eggs, virginia ham with biscuits and red eye gravy as thanks.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Woooohoooo!!! Yay for wirecutters! My DH got me a wonderful grease gun for Valentine's Day last year after buying me an even more wonderful tractor for Christmas.

Dontcha love it when they understand what you REALLY want. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Oh, and by the way, Happy Anniversary!

He's pretty cute, too ....
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Yes, he's quite the hottie, Mr. Swan is. His vision must be bad though - he married me and I tend to frighten small children.

We missed you yesterday, HR. Mr. Swan had 5 views of Brer Rabbit and the xmas party was big fun.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Any bunnies kilt??
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Nope - smart big fat bunnies all in one area. One was huge. Also very safe bunnies - hounds were all over the place but not always where they were supposed to be. Must have had a Christmas party to go to also.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Yes it's true....Mr.Swan is a hottie! Any horsehusband who'll build a barn for his horsehoney walks on water in my book! Mine started on the barn 6 yrs ago-it's half done.
    Does that count?!?
    And we need the recipe for red eye gravy please. Sounds like some good huntin' food to me!

Gee whiz, JS, he's a keeper! I think I might "get lucky" for Christmas...When the HC catalog came, Mr. Mule saw me drooling over it and putting stars beside things I covet (my little game with catalogs). I notice now that the catalog is missing in action. Hmmmmmmm...where could it be...in his computer bag perchance?

I do love the fantasies I can concoct in my heading during the run-up to Christmas. And wateryglen, just so ya know, I HEAVILY dropped the hint twice about that hunt coat of yours I tried on and liked. *Probably* it's outside the "agreed to" Christmas budget since he's already done a lot of shopping for me but never hurts to drop hints, eh?
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

Forgive me for not understanding… but why wire cutters? I can see the "true love" embodied in a laser-guided-radial-armsaw-with an-adjustable-arm (which I've been asking for for years now), but wire cutters... from your hubby? I really don’t get. Why wire cutters?

Cartier - I already have a laser-guided-radial-armsaw- with an -adjustable arm - along with laser guided everything else.

I would have been satisfied with a 3 stall shed row to replace the falling down machine shed I converted into a barn. But nope - mrswanthehottie had to build me a 2 story, 5 stall, concrete floor barn with all the bells and whistles. Even a washer and dryer. Which is actually for him because he's tired of horse hair in his underwear. He even laid tumbled english style antiqued brick in the aisle.

So of course he needed lots of new tools.

The wire cutters (4$ wire cutters in a 126$ leather case that buckles to the saddle) is a must in our territory - so much down barbed wire fence that it is all too common for a horse or hound to get hung up in it. I already carry a leatherman in my sandwich case for emergencies - but they just don't have really tough wire cutters on them.

Cartier - you really must come hunting with us. Of course - I'm supposed to leave to go hunting in an hour and it's too cold for me.

I'm going to hibernate today and polish my wirecutters with a diaper.

A grease gun is a great gift too. A real must on a farm. I've got my eye on a closeout priced ground driven manure spreader too. And for my birthday I want a buffer so I can wax the farm equipment - that New Holland blue is getting dull.

You know the "Love is...." sayings from the 70's with the cartoon boy and girl? We need such a list for horse/hound/hunting people.

Don't think I'm one of those "wealthy Virginia horsewomen with a small farm in the Piedmont". I'm a loyal dollar store customer, buy my stock pins at the craft store (why pay for the equestrian markup for those cheap pins that bend and break? and most of my stuff is used, made or otherwise finagled. Except for my shiny new wire cutters!

My current project is market analyses of the small producer fiber industry because this farm is not on a paying basis and horses aren't going to get me there.
    -Rudyard Kipling

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cartier - I already have a laser-guided-radial-armsaw- with an -adjustable arm - along with laser guided everything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really do have a wonderful husband. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif Agree about the Leatherman, wonderful tool.. I keep mine in a drawer.

Well, bring the leatherman and come a huntin'!
    -Rudyard Kipling

J Swan are you looking at the wool market, flax or cotton. The boutique wool market for knitting is quite the thing right now. At the Maryland Sheep and Wool show certain spinners and knitters look for and buy the wool from specific sheep each year for their projects. Or you could get sheep to milk so you can do sheep's milk cheese and market it to the hunt crowd.

I don't know if you land is suitable for flax, but we could all buy linen hunt jackets made from the flax you raise too.

Besides, I think I have the world's best hubby. He had the nerve to buy me a new purse for Christmas last year and I am still carrying it a year later. Besides, he can't buy me any tools because we don't have room to store anything elsee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well, bring the leatherman and come a huntin'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously… you have time to ride? I am clearly doing something wrong. I can come for coffee and to borrow the radial arm saw… http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif but I just don’t have time for the rest… too many dogs and horses. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Ok.
    In order.
    Mr. JSwan, if he really got the radial arm saw for Ms. JSwan, wins the contest.
    But....
    Having judged each and all of these guys -- I agree, too, that Mr. Wateryglen is hot-hot-hot too, as is Mr. Xrab.
    Wow. Where do you ladies shop for ones like this??!
    All I've got is an on again-off again (sigh, this minute, off) French-ie who flirts with your guys ... He does recite Flemish poetry in front of a roaring fire on a wintry night -- but that's somewhat negated by the fact that I chainsawed the tree, and chopped the wood, and laid (and lit) the fire ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having judged each and all of these guys -- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Where was this contest... did I miss it? Not that I wanted to make an entry... but heck, if the prize is a radial arm saw I might be willing to throw Arthur in the pot. 6'4"... brown twinkly eyes... sweet sweet sweet... medical doctor... loves these horses and dogs... pretty much house broken at this point. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My current project is market analyses of the small producer fiber industry because this farm is not on a paying basis and horses aren't going to get me there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swan--I should hook you up with my friends in Pa. They own and operate their own woolen mill. Gurdy Run Farm. You can Google it, too. Very cool place. Their house was built in the early 1800s and they built the mill themselves. They do rare breeds; used to breed Shire horses, do certain kinds of sheep, etc. I have a felt saddle pad that she made from scraps from the floor, but it's a great pad and several other horsey things too.

HR - the french guy is off right now? I'm so sorry - I'd hook you up with my husband's brother who is THE MOST gorgeous man I've ever met - has some Blackfoot in him, long black hair - hazel eyes - . But alas - he's a bit of a loner - and in Seattle. He chops wood the old fashioned way - axe, suspenders - no shirt. Oh my oh my oh my...

Is it hot in here or is it me?

Back to horses - Cartier - just come a huntin' - I've got a big place I run by myself - the tractor battery is dead, the barn is unfinished, fence needs a paintin' - hounds need a bathin' - but just throw the horse on the trailer and go. It'll all be there when you get back.

But it's just too cold today. Brrrr....

fiber -yes there is a really good market - I'd wool pool probably - but I'm trying to factor NAIS into the equation too. Mohair doesn't look too good - but hair sheep may be ok - and more steady in price. I've got the experience, got the farm, got the time, and I've started and run businesses before.

jetjocky - I'd love to hook up with your friends - at least we could chat about it. Thanks.

And if anyone is looking for a home for a sound green young horse - I'm in the market for a green horse to hunt. No OTTB's - I'm not good enough to help them. Unraced is ok. Free project horse may not hunt, current field hunter is great but I need a backup horse.

I guess I should go muck stalls and charge the tractor battery now.
    -Rudyard Kipling