The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hey! Help me spend money!

So, today my instructor informed me that she thinks it's time we commit, officially, to a "first show" . I'm super excited, because this will be my boy's very first show ever, and my first "real" show since I was a teen, and it's our first step towards becoming an eventing pair. It's a rated HJ show, and he'll be doing the greens. I'm showing him some, but so is my instructor at first. She's lending me whatever I need, including clothes, but I plan on getting back into showing this year and doing my first event in the fall.. so I really need to start piecing together my own attire!

A jacket is really what this post is all about (well, except for my happy news regarding my greenie - he's growing up so fast!). I'd like to get a jacket that will work for both dressage and jumpers for eventing, and I plan on using it to cross over into the regular jumpers ring. I have a nice hunt coat from yesteryear that still fits, but it is wool and I'd really like to get a nice soft shell that will be my main jacket. I live in the land of hot (Aiken area) and am totally ready to rock something breathable and lightweight, and if it's washable hat is a major plus!

So, what is working for you folk out there in the land of competition? If I could design my perfect coat, it would be navy with a little something "extra".. nice lighter blue lining (but that's probably impossible in these breathable coats), a little subtle piping on the collar, that sort of thing. Um.. I guess I should clarify first if you can use Navy in dressage, at least in the lower levels? Also, ideally this coat would be around $300 max.

So, anyone have any recommendations? There are so many to choose from and the concept still seems newer, so I'd love to get some COTH opinions.

Thanks!!

I love shopping. I've been drooling over this coat:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-40330
    BUT, it's $600 Double your budget. I love to "Euro" look, four buttons-ideal for Dressage and Jumpers IMO.

Here are great alternatives:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...1&cm_vc=Search
    $250 and machine washable

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...7&cm_vc=Search
    On sale $315 "crossover" coat, machine washable and water resistant for those rainy days

Hope this helps!

Absolutely no advice for the shopping spree. But HUGE congratulations on taking this step! Remember to breathe occasionally and have fun.

"like"!
    My blog
    Follow me along my eventing journey! Complete with mishaps

Vegas! 'Nuff said.

Luna, great job!!! I really like all of those options! Especially that Grand Prix *drool*. I am wondering if I should put a call out to some of my preferred used dealers to see if they can keep an eye out for me. Love the SmartPak options too... I'm going to see if I can try some coats on this weekend at an area rated show that typically has vendors. Now I have a starting point though! So glad to see that there are options in my price range..

JustaBob and MimmsEppi - THANKS! I am super excited! I just adore this horse, and together we are doing things I never thought I'd do!

Glad I could help, let me know what you end up purchasing

In terms of piping on the collar, it wouldn't surprise me if you were able to but some piping from a fabric store, take it to a seamstress, and have them attach the piping to the collar for you. It would be worth looking in to.