The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick, do I want an F250 V8 4.6L?

I've been casually looking for a truck, do not yet have a trailer. I will be getting a 2 horse tag along w/o dressing room, WB sized. I have been offered a very, very good deal on an F250 4x4, V8, 4.6L truck (super cab) with under 100k miles that is a real no-frills vehicle. It has a factory tow package but has not been used to haul a horse trailer so would need to be wired thru for trailer brakes. This is for sure not my dream truck, but I do not have a lot of $ to spend and this is a very good deal, as I said. I am looking for opinions quick as to whether I would be good to go with a truck of this size or whether I should move on deal or not. Thanks in advance.

I am no expert, but from what I have read and studied, this is what you want - if it was a good deal, I would go for it, especially since it comes with the factory tow package. YOu can upgrade the details. man, if its a good price, I wouldn't let it go by, but that's just me and like I said, I don't own a truck and trailer yet, so hopefully this bumps it up and others chime in.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Thanks - still deciding and hope I'll get some more input here. I need to add also, this is NOT a superduty. It is a regular duty, older F250 with the small engine (4.6L V8). Beggars can't be choosers with my budget, but I want to make sure I don't wind up wishing I had more truck, or worse being unsafe.

Are you sure of the specs on this? I couild not find a listing for an F250 with the 4.6L engine. Smallest I found was a 5.4L V8. The F150 was offered with a 4.6 V8. Depending on a number factors towing capacity was in the 6000-7000 lb. range.

The downside of gas engines is that they are fuel hogs when towing.

Please check the specs before you make any commitments. I could be wrong but, like I say, I could not find any references to the smaller gas engine in a 3/4 ton pickup. Not to say it couldn't happen, but there's no "paper trail."

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Are you sure of the specs on this? I couild not find a listing for an F250 with the 4.6L engine. Smallest I found was a 5.4L V8. The F150 was offered with a 4.6 V8. Depending on a number factors towing capacity was in the 6000-7000 lb. range.

The downside of gas engines is that they are fuel hogs when towing.

Please check the specs before you make any commitments. I could be wrong but, like I say, I could not find any references to the smaller gas engine in a 3/4 ton pickup. Not to say it couldn't happen, but there's no "paper trail."

G.
    Agree. Check on it. I thought the 250 needed more that a 4.6 if it would tow..........
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Yes, it is a 4.6L V8 (I looked at the engine). I thought it strange also but it is an older model truck and they used to make an f250 with these specs. It has a 138.8 wheelbase. Thanks for any opinions, they will be taken seriously!
    Last edited by Trigger; Feb. 24, 2011 at 03:01 PM.

That is a strange combo and personally, I probably wouldn't because it will most likely be underpowered. My work truck has an engine too small for it and as a result, it gets terrible mileage and works it butt off to tow our work boats. A good deal isn't worth it if it's not up to the job. It's probably a "good deal" for exactly that reason.

Here's an interesting link to the history of the F-series trucks that I found
    searching for Ford F-250 and 4.6L eninges:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series

There were some other links from the search including Edmonds that showed
    there was/is an F250 with the 4.6L engine.

However, methinks that engine is a little on the light side for towing. We have both a truck with 5.7L engine (gas) and a 7.3L diesel engine and the difference is dramatic!

We just bought a car the other day at Carmax. I was chatting with the saleman about how cars are moving these days. I asked if the problems in Egypt, the Middle East and oil affect sales pretty fast. He said "yes!!". The cars with good fuel economy will increase in price the week the price of oil goes up. Trucks and gas guzzlers will tank out in price. If your circumstances allow you to finance a little bit maybe check out a Carmax in your area because I suspect the price on trucks just dropped a little more after the events of today.

My pulling truck is a '99 F250, SD, V-10. Fabulous pulling truck!!

I would pass. I use to have an F150 with the smaller V8 4.6 and it was weak towing.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Concur that you likely will not have enough engine to comfortably do what you're wanting to do.

Also concur that in today's environment you'll likely be able to find a good deal on a gas engine 3/4 ton in good condition. You will, however, have to "shop around."

Good luck in your search.

G.

that's way too small unless you are towing one horse with a brenderup on flat ground.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

4.6L is AWFUL for towing. You would need the 5.4.

I just recently had the choice of a used 4.7 Tundra vs a 5.7- both with factory tow. The 4.7 was newer, less miles and a pretty good price. Even though my trailer is a Brenderup and my horse is small, I went with the 5.7. Besides the benefit from towing well within the truck's capacity, I'll have more choices if I ever need another trailer (the Brenderup is a '92!).

Thanks, all. I did decide to pass on this and continue to search for a larger truck. It is not a good deal if it is not the truck I need for the job. I also learned on further research that Ford used to make a "light duty" F250 and a "heavy duty" F150 which were essentially the same truck. A mechanic told me that this F250 was basically a 1/2 ton truck with a 250 badge on it and actually less power than some configurations of 1/2 tons.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyliz View Post
    I just recently had the choice of a used 4.7 Tundra vs a 5.7- both with factory tow. The 4.7 was newer, less miles and a pretty good price. Even though my trailer is a Brenderup and my horse is small, I went with the 5.7. Besides the benefit from towing well within the truck's capacity, I'll have more choices if I ever need another trailer (the Brenderup is a '92!).
    Believe it or not, the 5.7 gets better gas mileage than the 4.7! Something to do with the transmission. I don't speak "automotive" so well, but my friend has the 4.7 and I have the 5.7. He's jealous
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!