The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you teach anything using videos ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKMjGAnrUlM

So I was thinking about the threads discussing videos/photos being taken of riders with/without their permission, etc. Then I just happened to stumble across the above video on youtube.

Instead of talking about folks who don't want to be seen, lets talk about those that do.

This video above purports to explain/teach "how to ride flying changes."

Do you think the video accomplishes this ?

Is the video in any way useful ?

What I see is a very talented "young" horse in a double bridle. Very little is explained by way of "how to" do a flying change (perhaps you are first supposed to purchase a talented, expensive young stallion ???) Nothing of what is said is 'untrue.' It is true that when you have "good control of the canter, the flying change will come." But honestly, whom exactly is this video going to help ?

Videos can't teach HOW.

I require being in the saddle on a horse to learn riding technique. For me, it's experiencing what correct feels like (so wise instruction from the horse AND a human are crucial) and then given opportunities to repeat the feeling with less and less human direction.

But they can teach how to RECOGNIZE.

Videos are great for learning what something looks like, which some people may be able to incorporate in their riding, but I think is most useful to people who seek to become judges.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

There are all sorts of videos on youtube, some better than others. Can't say the one you posted did much for me but search for Jane Savoie on Youtube. She has some very good ones
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I agree with Allweathergal. Particularly if you work in an arena with mirrors, it can be invaluable to know what something is supposed to look like (proper amount of angle in the shoulder in, for example.) Any verbal instruction provided on the video gives context and feedback for what you are seeing.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

dude doesn't explain anything, just compliments the nice flying change, and the first one was two strides late in front.
    did anyone else think that horse's walk was weird?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I do not learn well by watching videos. I learn well by reading and by trying.

Some people do seem to learn well that way though, I think the issue is more that it is rare to find someone to teach well that way!

The new format of ebooks seems to be a great way to incorporate video and the written word to teach a skill. Mike Schaffer's new ebook would be a good example of this.

I do use video and stills taken from videos to help my students understand what they are feeling, and so show them how one issue can lead to another. I use examples of them on their own horses, or of myself on one of my horses. This seems to work well as they can relate to what they are seeing.

I know that some videos are very useful (I have posted some on youtube by my favorite clinician,) but the people in the video I offered are presenting themselves as high quality professionals, with a high quality horse, and what they present is anything BUT high quality information.

Not to mix up subjects, but the issue of 'instructor/trainer' certification and "professionalism" are often, and currently, under discussion on COTH. Despite the nice horse, do the people in the "how to do a flying change" video appear/sound qualified to TEACH a rider how to do a flying change ?

The video appears to me to be mostly advertising for the professionals, not 'instruction.' Is it disingenuous to present the information as if it were 'instruction' instead of 'advertising?' Or just par for the modern world/free market course ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Mike Schaffer's new ebook would be a good example of this.
    Who is Mike Schaffer and do you have a link with more info ?

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Despite the nice horse, do the people in the "how to do a flying change" video appear/sound qualified to TEACH a rider how to do a flying change ?
    I think it's just badly titled.

Once the video started, it was clear to me that they were not teaching the rider, they were teaching the horse.

In that light, it's not the worst video I've seen. It has a prep exercise, shows the exercise being executed, talks about some things that might go wrong (anticipation by the horse), etc.

It isn't perfect, but it's not useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    did anyone else think that horse's walk was weird?
    The walk in the beginning looked odd because she was setting him up for the walk-canter transition and he appeared to be rushing her.

I noticed something about how she cued him in the last flying change, which was the only one where I could really see her inside leg before the change. She gives him a squeeze before sliding her leg back. I sometimes give my horse a touch with the whip before asking for the change. I might try using my inside leg in this way.

I know that some videos are very useful (I have posted some on youtube by my favorite clinician,) but the people in the video I offered are presenting themselves as high quality professionals, with a high quality horse, and what they present is anything BUT high quality information.

Not to mix up subjects, but the issue of 'instructor/trainer' certification and "professionalism" are often, and currently, under discussion on COTH. Despite the nice horse, do the people in the "how to do a flying change" video appear/sound qualified to TEACH a rider how to do a flying change ?

The video appears to me to be mostly advertising for the professionals, not 'instruction.' Is it disingenuous to present the information as if it were 'instruction' instead of 'advertising?' Or just par for the modern world/free market course ?
    Welcome to the internet. Have you seen horsegirltv?

One way that they work quite well is this.

When students relocated away from my area, they would send me videos of something they were working on. I'd review the video with them over the phone. They had a copy and I had a copy. It worked quite well.

I view the "how to" videos as general knowledge pieces personally. I wouldn't take such a video and then think - "okay, now I will just go out and do that" - because I am a learn by doing rider. However, seeing video footage of myself is wonderful. It shows me how much I was REALLY using my aids as opposed to how much I THOUGHT I was using my aids. And seeing someone perform a movement well on a video helps me get that mental picture of what I trying to achieve. I think videos are useful - it's just is a matter of context while viewing...

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Welcome to the internet. Have you seen horsegirltv?
    Ahh, yes indeed I have. Overall I think I have asked a worthwhile question, however.

Though the USDF and USEF would likely not take kindly to another 'duty' or 'obligation' being added to their plate, the idea of an official USDF/EF video library seems to make sense. With the crazy 'free market,' it's every man/woman/client/trainer for themselves.

There is enough complaint/discussion on COTH about "oh this horse person is soooooo unprofessional, and that horse person screwed me over, and my barn manager is crazy, blah, blah, blah." If there were one USDF video on "how to teach a flying change (I'll go ahead and say 15 total edited minutes long) then a client, trainer, buyer, whatever could have a starting place of "this is how the USDF says to do it."

They've got a USDF Guide (book) to dressage. How about a USDF video guide to dressage ? Again, not like I'm volunteering to put it together but is the concept a valid one ?

I believe they used to, with Kathy Connelly and Gabrielle. I couldn't find it but when I looked at Dressage extensions they list 167 DVD's, about half of them training and several USDF symposia.

Anyone can upload anything to YouTube. There is no quality control. It's free and sometimes you get just what you paid for
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Ahh, yes indeed I have. Overall I think I have asked a worthwhile question, however.

Though the USDF and USEF would likely not take kindly to another 'duty' or 'obligation' being added to their plate, the idea of an official USDF/EF video library seems to make sense. With the crazy 'free market,' it's every man/woman/client/trainer for themselves.

There is enough complaint/discussion on COTH about "oh this horse person is soooooo unprofessional, and that horse person screwed me over, and my barn manager is crazy, blah, blah, blah." If there were one USDF video on "how to teach a flying change (I'll go ahead and say 15 total edited minutes long) then a client, trainer, buyer, whatever could have a starting place of "this is how the USDF says to do it."

They've got a USDF Guide (book) to dressage. How about a USDF video guide to dressage ? Again, not like I'm volunteering to put it together but is the concept a valid one ?
    Oh well, most of the experts agree that there is no "one way" to train a horse to do anything. It depends on the horse. There is some excellent subscription video content online at http://dressageclinic.com and http://dressagetrainingonline.com/

I don't think that USDF can improve on those.