The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SF Bay area peeps-gonna blanket?

So, looks like the SF Bay area is going to be experiencing some out of the ordinary cold. My horse has done well this year mostly unblanketed, but with shedding started and this new cold front coming up, I am going to blanket. Wondering if anyone else from around here is thinking the same.

my horses are already blanketed because they are clipped but I am putting on blanket liners tonight (my kids are wusses).

I purposely didn't clip my mare this year so I wouldn't have to worry about blanketing, but if what the weather people say is true, I will probably blanket her for the next couple of evenings. She's in a mare motel so I usually just throw her some extra hay.

I'm seriously considering blanketing my mule who is in pasture. He has a fabulous winter coat, so the blanketing is probably more for me than him!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

We blanket everything so they already have rugs on. I would definately rug though, regardless of the shedding this is going to be extreme for the area which means the horse won't be insulated enough on its own. They are talking snow at just above sea level, pretty un-heard of for the area. If your horse is in a mare motel it won't have much protection, and the storm is supposed to be a bit ugly. I say rug and throw some extra hay.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    the storm is supposed to be a bit ugly. I say rug and throw some extra hay.
    Good call!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Yep! The blanket is on!

Mine is unclipped and pasture kept, but she has a very light coat (which is now shedding like CRAZY) and wears a blanket when we get rain / wind.

Any way, blakent went on last night. Its staying on until this passes.

So far, I think the weather man might have called this one wrong. They were saying snow in down town SF today.. well, it was 49 degrees at 7:30 am.. so I don't think I am gonna see snow here in the city.

Now last weekend? It snowed just 5 miles from my barn, which is less then 1 mile from the ocean. CRAZY!

yea, CA weather people always tend to over exaggerate these "winter storms". People on the east coast must laugh at our ridiculousness, especially after the winter they've been having!

If the temps are really going to get as low as they say, I would definitely blanket.