The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Taking the plunge(into dressage)

Okay...I think I finally may have decided to give dressage a try. I ridden both english and western and want to focus my TB on my english riding. I have a few TOTALLY newbie questions...so I apologize ahead of time if I sound totally stupid...

How much does an average show run to compete? There is one here in July about 3 hours from me and it's looking like it something like $100 plus the class fees($30 USEF non member fee, $25 USDF non member fee, $15.00 USEF Horse fee, $25 office/bridle number fee, $35 non-stabled fee)...does this sound right? Is it cheaper to get memberships in the USEF & USDF then to pay the non-member fees? I know nothing about these organizations other than what I've read on their websites.

I don't see anywhere that lists tack requirements...do I HAVE to go buy a black dressage saddle or can I use my tan all-purpose saddle?

Do you have to have an amateur card to compete in the Adult Amateur Class?

The show bill info says that "All horses competing in a dressage competition must have a vaild Horse ID number or USEF annual or life recording" - Does this mean just getting a number at the show or do I need to register my horse with the USEF?

I'm being charged a drug & medication fee, do they draw my horses blood at the competition(asking not because I use drugs but rather I'm curious because I've never been to one before)

I think that's all of them for now, I'm sure I will have more. It's going to be interesting that's for sure because due to my location, I am not financially in the position to take lessons(the closest dressage instructor is almost 2 hours away and they charge $40 per half hour lesson so between $40 a week plus another $30 or more in gas, it's just way out of my price range) I've been reading a lot of books and watching a LOT of instructional videos and spending a ton of time on my horse trying to implement what we have been watching. We will be competing at Training Level 1 *hopefully* Thanks!

Start with schooling shows!! Much cheaper and more user friendly.
    Don't invest in all the membership and horse fees, etc until you know this is what you are going to do.

Esp since you are not riding with a trainer regularily. Use schooling shows to learn the ropes and learn what you need to work on. Use the funds you would for recognized shows to get lessons. And $40 is CHEAP!!

But by all means go WATCH at the show. Volunteer to scribe, be a runner, etc. Great way to learn the ropes.

The drug fee is for everybody. Testing is random. The fee covers all the expenses incurred for drug testing at shows. Not all shows are tested either. It is completely random, both which shows and which horses.

And, yes, you can show in your tan all purpose saddle.

Default Don't jump in the deep end

Your AP saddle will be fine. That is the least of your worries.

Where are you located? See if there are any dressage or CT associations nearby with schooling shows.

They are much cheaper because they don't charge the fees. They are also more low key, many people show in breeches and polo shirts for example.

The drug fees fund the drug testing program nationwide.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Don't invest in all the membership and horse fees, etc until you know this is what you are going to do.

Esp since you are not riding with a trainer regularily. Use schooling shows to learn the ropes and learn what you need to work on. Use the funds you would for recognized shows to get lessons. And $40 is CHEAP!!

But by all means go WATCH at the show. Volunteer to scribe, be a runner, etc. Great way to learn the ropes.

The drug fee is for everybody. Testing is random. The fee covers all the expenses incurred for drug testing at shows. Not all shows are tested either. It is completely random, both which shows and which horses.

And, yes, you can show in your tan all purpose saddle.
    Okay, cheaper is better in my book when it comes to show fees lol. I'm not looking to do this for a career or ever compete at high levels or anything. I just enjoy being able to do different events with my horses. I like to do a little of everything. That's why I wasn't sure I wanted to cough up the money for memberships to everything.

I know $40 is fairly cheap for dressage lessons...but my husband is a rancher and a cowboy and has the "if you can't teach it to yourself you don't need to know it attitude" so trying to talk him into letting me go take lessons has been a challenge. He just sees it as a waste of money and if I want to go, I have to come up with the funds which poses a challenge because I am a stay at home wife...so no steady income.

I'm glad I don't have to buy a new saddle...that would go over like a lead balloon lol. He already got frustrated with me when I bought my English saddle and last night when I told him I wanted to go to a dressage show last night, he wasn't really happy. He really just doesn't understand why I like to ride English, in his mind it's totally pointless.

I see that you are in OK, if you happen to hear of any schooling shows in Northern OK, feel free to pass on the info...if you know where Alva, OK is, I live just north of Alva on the KS side.

Thanks!

I agree with the other posters regarding the USEF fees. Since you're new to the discipline get your feet wet with the schooling shows. If you feel like the schooling shows are badly run or you are not facing good enough competition than go to the recognized shows. I did several recognized B rated shows when I was showing hunters and found that it was cheaper just to pay the USEF membership. We did need to get an amateur card if we were showing in the amateur divisions. Also, you can just get your horse an ID number if you are not interested in points counting towards end of the year zone awards for the horse (again speaking from hunter perspective). I am still riding in a close contact saddle and will probably show in it this spring/summer but really need to invest in a dressage saddle to help me with my position!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangergirl56m View Post
    if you happen to hear of any schooling shows in Northern OK, feel free to pass on the info...if you know where Alva, OK is, I live just north of Alva on the KS side.

Thanks!
    Have you considered joining
    http://www.dressageoklahoma.org/spotlight.html

I see they have a northern OK chapter

or
    http://kdea.org/

This is a really good deal, ending today
    http://www.dressagementor.com/onedol...ex2_order.html
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Have you considered joining
    http://www.dressageoklahoma.org/spotlight.html

I see they have a northern OK chapter

or
    http://kdea.org/
    Thanks for finding those. I am looking at both their websites right now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    I second this. all the stuff you were spouting off for the July show had me thinking sounds like the making of a great way to make dressage "taste icky" to a newbie dressage rider.
    I'm showing at a nice schooling show that's recognized, showing 2 tests, and it's going to cost me $60 plus gas
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble