The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Where did you find your current horse(s)?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bred them yourself

20 10.75%
  • Found on Craigslist

13 6.99%
  • Online sales ad or classified listing - dreamhorse.com, a competition assoc., etc. (which one?)

57 30.65%
  • From a friend, a barn-mate, or other acquaintance

46 24.73%
  • Through your trainer or a sales barn

31 16.67%
  • Word of mouth - a recommended barn, heard about from a friend, looked up a farm's website, etc

13 6.99%
  • Saw a flyer at a horse show, tack shop, etc

1 0.54%
  • Bought directly from a breeder (how did you find them?)

25 13.44%
  • Saw a printed ad or listing - in a magazine, little nickel, or other publication (if so, which one?)

6 3.23%
  • Other (please explain)

40 21.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Where did you find your current horse(s)?

Where did you find your current horse(s)? Tell me how you and your horse(s) came together!

** Sorry I couldn't add more options (especially for if you found them through a rescue, I ran out of space then thought of that). **

Here's how we found our current crew:
    • Fraju - Little Nickel ad
    • Yeager - bought from a friend
    • Wicca - bought from a friend
    • Odin - bred ourselves
    • Brann - bred ourselves
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Default 8 1/2

Purchased one at a County rescue auction and she had a filly by her side.
    2 were out and out given to me
    4 I bred
    1 is still in the mare-a-bator!

Quote Originally Posted by WarmbloodColor View Post
    Where did you find your current horse(s)? Tell me how you and your horse(s) came together!
    I bought my current horse, a TB gelding, from my trainer. Loved him the moment he joined her "crew". Always thought he would be too much horse for me.

Fast forward four years later (a year ago last Nov) and I'd been bitten by the dressage bug. My mare was having none of this "dressage" stuff. Rode the gelding in my third dressage lesson - after 10 min I hauled my butt into the middle of the indoor and told said trainer - this horse is MINE. Everything fell into place and two weeks later my mare had sold and the gelding was indeed mine! Weird how things work out sometimes

I selected "other" because my horse is a feedlot rescue and there isn't an option for rescue in the poll.

However, the rescue working off the feedlot did have a volunteer who placed an ad for my mare in the classifieds section of a local horse forum.

I just want to remind people that nice horses can be found in rescues!

Not bad for a throwaway, huh?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28098...00462099BEUQKz
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

4 I bred, 1 I bought from the BO of the place my trainer was training out of at the time, 1 I bought at the UC Davis production auction, and 1 I found on CANTER and bought off the track... the burro is the baby (he's in his mid twenties) of the jinny my BF found in the woods by his house. She'd lived loose up there for years... no one seems to know how she got pregnant?

I voted online add.

Current horse had a very pathtic add on DreamHorse.com

Horse before that, flyer (at an event).

Trainer found him in Europe and imported him for herself. Sold him to my parents about a year later.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I voted "word of mouth" but here's how it went down.

Summer of 2009, I'd been scouring horse ads, looking for the right horse for me. I'd emailed/called about a few, and gone to see a couple (one of which ended with me with a sprained ankle the doctor thought was broken at first). Still hadn't found the right horse for me.

I was (still do) volunteering for a local draft horse rescue at the time. Someone called them up saying they had a former PMU (at the time, 5 or 6) that was pretty much untrained under saddle. They needed to find a new home for it but were afraid it would end up in the slaughter pipeline (an untrained draft horse within a two hour drive of New Holland that they weren't asking much money for? You think?). Anyway, president of the rescue says that the rescue itself is full but she knew someone looking for a good horse (me) and we'd come out and see him.

Now, this horse was pretty much not at all what I was looking for (wrong age [I wanted something 10-15], wrong training [lack thereof], wrong size [he's 16.3 and I would've preferred something about a hand shorter], wrong color [he's mostly white!]) but I agreed to give him a shot. If nothing else, I just like looking at horses. So we went to see him, he seemed like a nice, friendly, honest sort of horse. The price was right. And yeah, I fell for him.

The rest, as they say, is history.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I have a friend who raises endurance arabs, so I am lucky when looking for a new horse I just turn to him as that is my sport....and he lets me have my pick..

Adopted from Midatlantic Horse Rescue...could not be happier, he is an amazing horse.

My mare came to me through word of mouth. Trainer wanted her sent to auction, owner knew she was much nicer than that. I got her for next to nothing.

My gelding was on the track and my bodyworker had worked on him. She thought he was Grand Prix material and she was right!

My youngster came straight from the breeder. I was trying to buy a 3+ year old, but fell in love with his little scrawny coming-yearling butt and came home with a baby instead.

My pony came through a horse trader up in Canada. Right before I sent money for him the owner called me to say that he was foundering. She basically gave him to me and it turned out that he was massively overweight and had major foot problems, but it wasn't founder and once he was put on a diet and tended to he turned into the rock solid little guy he is now

My other gelding came through a horse trader I bought several horses from. All were "lemons" so to speak, and this guy is no exception. He's been "getting broke" (after I made a 1-year attempt at it) for another 2 years now and he's still completely unpredictable and I think he's got a serious screw loose.

My favorite way to get horses out of all of that.....definitely through word of mouth and directly from breeders. I intend to buy more babies in the coming years since I've had so much fun with my little guy!

My grandmother bought him years ago for driving and lost interest, so he was just sitting in a paddock, getting fat, and doing nothing productive. He is ridiculously talented. I lucked out.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I have three right now (have had 5 total).

The current three:
    Jack - mini gelding free leased and then was given to me from a gal on an internet board 14 years ago.

Remy - found on Dreamhorse when he was a yearling. Bought without meeting in person (he was in CA). He's 9 now and wouldn't trade him for any amount of money.

Aries - found on Dreamhorse when he as a yearling. Also didn't meet him in person (he was in CO). He's 4 now and he's great.

The other two have since passed, but one was bought at a trade fair (pony mare) and the other was given to me by my great aunt.

Default Other

Well, the stallion I just bought last year came via a friend referral, along with his buddy, an aged Arabian mare. My riding mare came via Chronicle post. Horse before that was via a friend, I was his retirement home, same for the last broodmare I bought. When I reflect, most of my mares have come via friends/breeders i know. Hmm. What i have sold has been through the internet, often with referral from a known party, to the USA. Last horse sold, went to my farrier.
    Charmaine
    Apex Farms
    www.apexfarmsandappraisal.com

Retired TB (raced long ago) Gelding was bought from a trainer working at the barn I took lessons at in 1996. Still lives with me in Nebraska....I grew up in CA though.

Red mare (OTTB) was picked up at TB Friends in CA when I had hauled retired horse home to live with parents. Mom's farrier mentioned TB Friends.

Big gelding OTTB (aka: best horse I've had yet haha) came from TB Friends... saw a face shot posted on his site and bought him over the phone that day. He was shipped to NE along with my retired horse

Little red mare OTTB was site unseen sent to me by Joe at TB Friends I told him I wanted a project and to send me one, so he did

Cookie the QH mare (aka: Husband horse) was the result of a trade-back from the breeder of a gelding we picked up that didn't work out for the husband.

Now I'm just waiting patiently for the perfect TB/Holsteiner to fall into my lap

Arab- breeder. Knew what I wanted and found a breeder

QTR horse-from a friend

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

given to me by the cfo of Prudential.....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Bought directly from breeder. Sport Horse type Appy. Knew of her horses/their bloodlines. When I was ready for a "new" horse, I checked what she had available and went to look. The only drawback was it meant I HAD to buy an unstarted youngster. She only occasionally has/had started horses for sale. So I bought a 2.5 year old. It has been an adventure. *G*

One horse was purchased from another boarder at the stable we were boarding at. I found the other in an ad on Dreamhorse.

My older mare I got 10 years ago through a trade with a friend. I had bought a completely unsuitable for me, paint gelding with issues. She had a small nutty mare she didn't feel comfortable riding so we swapped. We both still have each other's horses.

Pony I found indirectly through dreamhorse. I had been in contact with a woman about a pony gelding. When that didn't work out she told me about a greenbean pony she had sitting in her pasture that she wanted to sell. We bought her and still have her, 7? years later.

Gelding came to me as a home of last resort, from a friend. She was getting ready to put him down and happened to be talking to a friend we share at her barn. Friend was lamenting about how she had lost my number, joint friend told her I was on Facebook. She contacted me and Gelding came a couple of weeks later. It worked out great for everyone.