The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing instructors in Maryland?

Looking for recommendations (in Howard, Carroll or Montgomery Co). Yes, I know I can get names from Equiery or Google, but I'd be very happy to hear personal experience and recommendations. Thank you!

Thumbs up Eventing instructors in Maryland

Kelley Williams
    www.abitbetterfarm.com

The BEST!

www.bennettscreekfarm.com Don`t let the Frederick address scare you...we`re about a mile over the MoCo/Frederick line. I`ve been working with/for our head trainer for over 8 years. I am loyal, but if I wasn`t happy with my skills and didn`t like the program, I would have moved along. He is a VERY good instructor and trainer. Pushes you gently out of your comfort zone without overfacing, only yells when your being very stupid or unsafe.

Thank you very much for recommendations!!

I second the recommendation for Kelley Williams.

Are you looking for anything in particular that would help us give better recommendations? Do you need to board there? Trailer in? What level are you at? Etc ...
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Kerry Blackmer. Her farm is right down the street from the Maryland HT. I can get you her contact info if you'd like.

mythical is right, more details of what you need would help.
    That being said, I can also recommend Kelley Williams. Steph Butts at Waredaca, right up the road, is also great.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I highly recommend Sally Shirley. She is located in Westminster, MD. Here website is www.sallyshirley.com.

I have been riding with her for years and I have never had a better instructor. She has an incredible ability to break things down so I understand not only how to accomplish the movement or task, but understand the why and how behind everything I am doing.

One of my favorite aspects about taking lessons with Sally is she plans and thinks about my needs and objectives in advance and comes prepared with a lesson plan to help me accomplish my goals. Every lesson builds upon the last.

As an amateur rider, there are certain times I cannot get my body be perfectly correct. Previous trainers just say turn your toe in, don't twist, your locking your hip, etc...Sally finds the root of the problem allowing me to fix the external demostration of the problem, creates excercises to train my body correctly, and tools to help my awareness allowing me to fix things on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by mythical84 View Post
    I second the recommendation for Kelley Williams.

Are you looking for anything in particular that would help us give better recommendations? Do you need to board there? Trailer in? What level are you at? Etc ...
    Sorry, yes, I was in hurry so didn't post too many details. I'm a beginner in jumping. My horse is a greenie so she's not a good choice for lessons. I hope to start her slowly, but I want to get some experience first. So I'm looking to take lessons on seasoned barn horse.

And no, I don't look for boarding - I keep her in my place.

And again, thank you All for great recommendations!

In that case, I definitely recommend Kelley Williams at A Bit Better Farm. It can be hard to find a place that has horses for you to learn on -- I don't know what the current situation is, but they do have a couple of schoolmaster types that might suit, and Kelley is great with a range of skillsets. Some eventer trainers are wonderful but I wouldn't start jumping with them (I'd wait until I had a good base) -- Kelley I think I would. She's very patient and progressive.

Another option is to start with a good regular lesson program. Waredaca, where I board, has some great instructors and good school horses for learning to jump. You would want to graduate from the schoolies once you got your basics down, as they are limited, but it might be a nice place to start. We have a big cross country course with jumps of all sizes, so you can, if you take the right class, get out jumping in the field sooner rather than later, which I think is a big plus if you want to event.

If you want your horse to be learning as well, either Kelley at a Bit Better or Steph at Waredaca would be a nice choice; they both have lots of experience teaching horses how to jump in a kind and structured way.

His new little brother

Does anyone know if Laura Buck Chambers is still teaching in the Maryland area?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Thanks a log, asterix! I may look into Waredaca as I'm not sure Kelley has group lessons (although I'll inquire with her first, and she's the closest to me off everyone recommended).

Kelley and Waredaca are literally 30 seconds apart.

Waredaca's spring lesson schedule is enrolling now; best to call them and explain what you are looking for to see whether they have classes this session that would suit you.

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Kelley and Waredaca are literally 30 seconds apart.

Waredaca's spring lesson schedule is enrolling now; best to call them and explain what you are looking for to see whether they have classes this session that would suit you.
    Thanks again!