The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albion Saddles

Is anyone hunting in an Albion? How do you like it?
    I have one on trial from a local tack shop, I've been hunting in a Bates Caprilli that has been redone with wool (it's out getting reflocked again) but it is just NQR for my mare. While it's gone, I have a Jaguar XJS that I am using, that has almost no wither clearance. To add to that it is very slippery and is aggravating a hip condition that i recently developed.

So if anyone is using an Albion, how do you like it? This one is comfy in the store, and it's used so I can ride in it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have the Albion Legend AP and so does my husband. The jumping style, not dressage. Love, love love them and want to buy another narrower one for my TB that it is just too wide for.
    They are a super saddle and a very good value, especially used.

I have an Albion K2 jumping saddle for hunting. I can't say enough about how comfortable it is and how secure I feel in it. One of my friends recently bought one too and said she wished she had gotten one years ago. Anyone who has ever sat in my saddle immediately asks what kind it is and comments on how comfortable it is.

I saw this post on Albion saddles and just wanted to pass on that I have an Albion Kontrol jump saddle for sale. Narrow tree and 17.5 seat. Used but in great condition and incredibly comfortable. Just doesn't fit my current horse.

I rode in this saddle for years, eventing, hunting,etc and LOVE it.

If interested feel free to PM or email me.
    Mollie Zobel Eventing
    Rocky Swamp Farm
    Springfield, SC
    www.molliezobeleventing.com

Mollie, you might want to delete your post or put an ad in the classifieds before a mod sees it, it violates the forum rules on advertising.

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what model this is but it's a jumping saddle for sure. I haven't ridden in it yet, life's been crazy the last couple days but I may go ahead and hunt in it tomorrow. It is really nice and a good deal for the $$, so if it fits my horse probably worth it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have an older model Albion jumping saddle.....I love it....it is sooo comfy... and it happens to be one of the few saddles I have ever found that fit my TB.

Well, I liked the saddle but it was a bit too low in the pommel for my horse and it also rocked. It was lovely though, and if I find another I won't hesitate to give it a try. Thanks everyone.

Rather late on this one, but are Albions not wool flocked? if you liked the saddle well enough, I'd have a a fitter out to assess whether these issues might be solved by adjusting the panels.

Yes it was wool. It was too narrow in the shoulders and too low across the pommel, plus it sat very low along her spine. It also rocked a bit. I plan to keep looking, whilst saving up for a really nice saddle eventually if I don't find a good used one in the mean time.

Default we have 3 albions

between my husband and myself, we have three Albions, and have been very happy with all of them. I just got my jump one, and it is lovely to ride in--it puts my legs into the perfect position. I used to have their mono-flap one, and did not ever feel as comfy in it as in the deeper-seated saddles. We love our fitter, as she really spends time with us and our horses.

I just trialed an Albion Jewel. Lovely saddle, very nice for the price. I ended up going a different direction but was impressed by the Albion quality.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

T -- I have three Albions now, and I used to have four. I am kicking myself for EVER selling Ben's K2 Jumper. The baby mare is W-I-D-E and it would have fit her. Sort of like a bit -- I think I need to hold on to all saddles . . .

Anyway, try www.equestrianimports.com and see what Ann has used in the Albions. I know some of the folk that hunt here, hunt in them and have been very pleased. Kelley was a dealer/fitter for Albion for a while (the US distributorship changed and she couldn't get them anymore) and we've been pleased with them in general. The K2 Jumper is a very nice, secure saddle. That is what I was riding Buzz in in the clinic at Jon's -- and you've seen the pics of the jumps over on FB -- still cannot believe I stayed on through that! There should be some used K2 Jumpers out there that you could try -- finding one that fits would be worth it!!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I have an Albion dressage saddle and absolutely love it.

I have an older model of the Albion Jumping saddle...I love it....I first bought a Albion dressage saddle ( SLK Ultima model) and it fit my TB so well...I searched to find a jumping saddle and got a great deal on one.

Question....the model I have had places for knee and thigh blocks that had been removed. I have tried ( unsucessfully) to get a local dealer and then Albion in UK to find me these blocks...They look like they would just velcro into postion...Any suggestions? I've been trying since December with no luck.
    Last edited by flash1; May. 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: adding