The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obviously, I have no life

Since its just a small thing to want to share....
    I have the most gorgeous new barn doors!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Finally !!!
    My contractor builder guy had good enough weather to bring the doors he built, and install them. So pretty with cross buck trim on the bottom half and windows on the top...fully trimmed out and just waiting for a bit more dry out of the wood and some good weather for painting.
    Man, they're HEAVY. He really did a great job, and it just makes me smile to see them there!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    Since its just a small thing to want to share....
    I have the most gorgeous new barn doors!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Finally !!!
    My contractor builder guy had good enough weather to bring the doors he built, and install them. So pretty with cross buck trim on the bottom half and windows on the top...fully trimmed out and just waiting for a bit more dry out of the wood and some good weather for painting.
    Man, they're HEAVY. He really did a great job, and it just makes me smile to see them there!
    All that and no pictures?

Yeah, where are the pictures? I love good doors!
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

First rule of COTH: don't not to give good news like "NEW BARN" or "NEW HORSE" and not have pics to share.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Agreed! I want to see these gorgeous doors!
    Who is John Galt?

I know. I knew when I wanted to type...that I shouldn't until I had PIX !
    All of my last few trips to the farmette have been without a camera...as I drove off, I was lamenting the fact I had nothing to shoot the new doors for posting later!
    But, I still wanted to share. I can (!) promise that pix will be coming, but it will take me awhile, as the farmette isn't in my backyard, but about 2 hrs away.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Question No Life???

Whaddya mean "no Life"?

Just this morning I was wondering if/when I would ever be able to replace my PlainJane sliders with fancy doors with windows.

I actually went as far as to contact my barn builder but the aftermarket costs to refit them....yikes

Go ahead, post pics and make me
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Love doors like that. I guess we all have no life...

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    First rule of COTH: don't not to give good news like "NEW BARN" or "NEW HORSE" and not have pics to share.

Or...new dog, new cat, new foal, new ring, new tractor, new fencing...

And seriously, this IS our life LOL

I mean, I amused myself yesterday morning by slicing open 8 bags of pelleted bedding, adding water, and watch and listening to Rice Krispies

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I mean, I amused myself yesterday morning by slicing open 8 bags of pelleted bedding, adding water, and watch and listening to Rice Krispies

ROFLMAO!!

Sometimes we are so simply intertained.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

'listening to Rice Krispies'....

ok, trumped on that one.

I guess, it's that: I am not yet 'living' the farm life...I'm only building bit by bit...during a time in my horsey life that is kinda stalled (no pun intended) Since I have shared horsey fun with my daughter for so long, and our gelding, and now, since she's been at college, its all quieted down.
    So...I've been more focused on outfitting the very small ((!) farmette at mom's place. And it really is just a glorified outbuilding...but, once completed 'inside' had a nice large opening that 'one day' I wanted doors for. Each step (electricity coming soon to a barn near you)... has been my only 'horsey high' for awhile now! But very rewarding.
    This spot is 'home'. My grandfather and grandmother built it (I have pictures of them with a wheelbarrow...building the foundation by hand)...I remember toddling there, visiting there. My parents decided to retire there later, and now...I am looking to the future and bit by bit outfitting it for a small farmette.
    Since showing days have ebbed, its been so cool to come to this board and learn and plan and dream.
    You guys are great.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

it doesn't change once you start living the farm life I've been living it for 7 years now, and look what makes me happy

I was giddy when I got a box scrape for my birthday

I just got a load of T&G to build my Dutch Doors

Yes, as long as these things continue to make our lives happy, we're good.

The day that these things are just another chore, just another expense, just more work, is the day we need to move back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The day that these things are just another chore, just another expense, just more work, is the day we need to move back to the city
    Best. Quote. Ever.

So true!!
    Who is John Galt?

ha ha ha!!! I remember when my barn doors got hung I was SO happy! It finally looked like *home* for the horses! I can share your excitement 100%!

My "Not Having a Life" moment came last Christmas when hubby bought me a hot water tank for the barn. I was SO happy! Finally - hot water whenever I needed it!

Of course family and friends thought I was nuts to be excited about a hot water tank. My horsey friends understood perfectly and shared in my excitement ...

Congrats on your doors once again and yes - pictures please!!!

Totally cannot believe you dont have pics!

Hey, my best Xmas present this past Xmas was a manure bucket cart! Its the little things that count! We are all practical!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

YOU have no life???

I have a new toilet and I cannot tell you how exciting it is!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Ooo, I was virtual toilet shopping online today! In the next couple years or so I want to redo my bathrooms. There's some pretty fancy crappers out there!

I got new barn doors over this winter too! The ones that came with my barn were toys/snacks for a gelding I use to have. He did a job on those! Even yanked off the decorative cross-hatching to carry and use as a lance when playing "jousting" with my uncooperative (and pissed off) mare.

I have a friend who does all around everything...very handy to have. His father is a carpenter. I asked about having barn doors built. He went right to work, built and delivered two of the heaviest most gorgeous doors evah! Hung them on ginormous monster hinges. They gotta weight about 300 lbs each! Painted, bee-yoo-tee-ful. They swing like buttah!

Then I got the bill. $1400. Darned near started a new manure pile right there!

It took me a while to get over the cost...but gotta say they're absolutely fantastic. And they did a great job keeping the barn interior a bit warmer and weatherproof over this wicked tough winter we're having.

I don't have photos of my doors either. But I wanna see yours Ayrabz!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Ooo, I was virtual toilet shopping online today! In the next couple years or so I want to redo my bathrooms. There's some pretty fancy crappers out there!

I got new barn doors over this winter too! The ones that came with my barn were toys/snacks for a gelding I use to have. He did a job on those! Even yanked off the decorative cross-hatching to carry and use as a lance when playing "jousting" with my uncooperative (and pissed off) mare.

I have a friend who does all around everything...very handy to have. His father is a carpenter. I asked about having barn doors built. He went right to work, built and delivered two of the heaviest most gorgeous doors evah! Hung them on ginormous monster hinges. They gotta weight about 300 lbs each! Painted, bee-yoo-tee-ful. They swing like buttah!

Then I got the bill. $1400. Darned near started a new manure pile right there!

It took me a while to get over the cost...but gotta say they're absolutely fantastic. And they did a great job keeping the barn interior a bit warmer and weatherproof over this wicked tough winter we're having.

I don't have photos of my doors either. But I wanna see yours Ayrabz!
    MB, this post made me laff out loud!! You're cracking' me right up.

Lissen, if you really want a new potty, get thee down to Home Depot. The best damn terlett in the world is ON SALE. It uses 1.2 gallons per flush, it takes EVERYthing down in one silent gulp, it is quiet and comfy and it cost EIGHTY EIGHT DOLLARS. Good Gawd A'mighty, you seriously cannot beat that with a stick. Truth be told, I can't tell you how happy this thing makes me.

Things are pretty bleak here in Maine this winter...please send chocolate.......
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    MB, this post made me laff out loud!! You're cracking' me right up.

Lissen, if you really want a new potty, get thee down to Home Depot. The best damn terlett in the world is ON SALE. It uses 1.2 gallons per flush, it takes EVERYthing down in one silent gulp, it is quiet and comfy and it cost EIGHTY EIGHT DOLLARS. Good Gawd A'mighty, you seriously cannot beat that with a stick. Truth be told, I can't tell you how happy this thing makes me.

Things are pretty bleak here in Maine this winter...please send chocolate.......

-Jessica

Actually that $1,400 for the barn doors is not that bad. Look at what had to go into them. And the labor to make them. But now you have fantastic barn doors. It's only money.
    Congrats on the new doors for the OP too. Good doors make a big difference when the winter winds blow.
    I guess it is all a matter of perspective.
    Congrats to both of you.
    sadlmakr