The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle sores and the shark-finned horse...

So I have a 17.3 hand TB that has very high withers. Like a couple inches high. He's been on pasture rest to regain weight after a bad boarding situation and now he's ready to start being worked again to develop muscle. I've been riding him in my Wintec Isabell with a thick half pad and a fleece lined dressage pad. He has a sore on the lower part of his withers that keeps getting rubbed every time I've ridden him. The fleece lined dressage pad is new and when I rode him in it on Monday, there was blood when I took it off (about 5 inches in - on the spine of the pad) from the sore being rubbed and reopened. Anyone got any great suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

put a narrower gullet in temporarily until he muscles up again

Is the saddle or the padding rubbing?

If the saddle, stop using it immediately. You can end up with some really disgustingly gnarly, life threatening problems from this (search for "fistulous withers.")

If the padding, get your scissors out, cut a hole where the sore is so there is no pressure on the sore.

I'd still let it heal up to the point I could poke at it without getting a reaction before I rode again.

stop riding him and givehim time to heal about 2 weeks, before this becomes a permenant damage to his back

your saddle doesnt fit and is llaying right on top of his withers so you need to get another saddle that does fit him if hes high wither he needs a narrow fitted saddle
    wintecs are normally medium to wide fittings and as they are syphetic do sink as not as good as a leather one that can be adjusted and reflocked or striped down and re built by a mastercraftsmen of a saddle fitter
    you need to get a saddle that fits him and you
    as this saddle your using is comming down right on his withers when your sitting on top

Sadly the Isabell will most likely not work for your horse. That saddle has a flat tree and flatter panels which will not work for a curvy guy like yours. It is most likely bridging like crazy, which means all the weight of you + saddle is resting on a tiny area at his withers and the sensitive back area under the cantle. Not good! You will need to look for a curvy saddle like a Passier, Classic Saddlery, Prestige, or even the old Wintec Pros pre-2009.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    You will need to look for a curvy saddle like a Passier, Classic Saddlery, Prestige, or even the old Wintec Pros pre-2009.

I'm legging up a 17.3 H TB with sharky withers and my passier precision medium tree, with a big thick wither relief pad works perfect on him.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I never had THAT bad of a problem, but for my TB I used this pad to 'widen' out his wither area.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-19456

I however agree you are going to need a new saddle.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post

I'm legging up a 17.3 H TB with sharky withers and my passier precision medium tree, with a big thick wither relief pad works perfect on him.
    Sounds like we've got the same horse!

The sore doesn't bother him right now - as in you can poke at it and won't get a reaction. But obviously I want to fix what is causing it... guess I'm shopping for a new saddle. Too bad I live in "dressage wasteland" - meaning the nearest tack shop is 2 hours away... guess I'll have to do trial periods.
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

I second Passiers - have a similarly sized critter going comfortably in a M Passier Katrin. Also had good luck with Niedersuss.

Best padding solution for my boys has been a nice fleeceworks pad + thinline on top. It seems to offer clearance for their spine, yet allow muscles to "come up" when working.

I'll pm you about some options.

would the new Tekna saddles work - saw on the Tekna vs. thread that they have a curvy tree like Prestige. plus its more in my price range...

Also consider the Ridz Cool Saddle Pad, it is expensive but is the finest pad I have found that works on any horse I have put it on so far.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Quote Originally Posted by mackandblues View Post
    Sounds like we've got the same horse!

The sore doesn't bother him right now - as in you can poke at it and won't get a reaction. But obviously I want to fix what is causing it... guess I'm shopping for a new saddle. Too bad I live in "dressage wasteland" - meaning the nearest tack shop is 2 hours away... guess I'll have to do trial periods.
    Honestly, your best bet is to get your paws on some older passiers. Ebay can be your friend.
    The passier wellington was the precision's predecessor
    I love the balance of the seat because i can have dressage length legs, or jack them up and still be in the right spot.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I think you need a saddle with "front gussets". They are recommended for your type of horse. I think padding up with pads allows too much movement or rubbing. A front gusseted saddle on a thin pad would be more stable.

I had good luck with a Prestige dressage saddle clearing my boy's shark fin, without crazy padding, etc.

A Steffan Peter's Advantage and a Luc Childeric also fit him, but were too expensive for me at the time.

No passier came close to truely clearing his withers...old or new style, without padding and that was not a true solution. You need a tree shape that arches up to clear the withers, not padding. You also need a tree that FITS your horse width wise...just b/c he has high withers DOESN"T mean he needs a narrow tree...having too narrow (or too wide) a tree SIZE can cause a whole new set of fitting problems! For example, my OTTB required a 34 cm tree (MW) in the Prestige.

Good luck!
    Last edited by HollysHobbies; Feb. 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

My Harry Dabbs monoflap worked well for my shark-finned Saddlebred. Medium tree and flocked to fit him. It didn't have front gussets, but there was room in the panel to stuff accordingly without making it rock hard. (I no longer have that horse, PM me if you'd like a pic of the saddle.)

Have a good saddle fitter help you and don't fall into the trap of higher withers means a narrower tree. My Saddlebred actually needed a M or MW tree depending on the saddle; it just needed to be the right design to fill in his hollows and clear the wither. Sometimes a narrower tree isn't the answer as the points will then sit right in those hollows--ouch!