after a bad reaction at the vet's office to a morphine injection he never should have gotten in the first place. I really thought we were going to lose him. He seems to have gotten over the hump overnight, waiting on a call now to see when he can come home. Really, who gives morphine without the reversal agent on hand? Doesn't matter as long as he comes home alright.
Prayers for your big dog, the good ones are irreplaceable.
Oh, so sorry for your Corgi. Hope all goes well and he comes home soon.
Fera is going thru her second barium scan right now. It appears that there is a blockage (of what we don't know yet). It may be able to be removed by sedating her and using a scope to remove it. Otherwise, depending upon the positioning of the blockage, surgery. I guess the good news is it does not appear to be bloat. Anyone who has had a dog bloat knows the signs. With the amount of vomit and sypmtoms, I was highly concerned that was it. That was the initial thought by our vets too. Hopefully the blockage can be removed soon. The meds are making her less painful at least.
The vets are working hard, so we are praying. Thank you everyone for your wishes.
Well, Fera is out of surgery. She did not bloat or have a blockage. When they opened her up it was found she had a massive infection. They actually removed part of her liver. They have put her on massive antibiotics and it is now up to her. We will have to wait for the lab results for a few days.
This dog was acting fine yesterday, playing flyball. Chasing her brother. Ate dinner like normal, etc. The vet college was consulted and said it was highly unusual.
I hope the lab results show something. The vets said she is young and strong and are hopeful for her recovery. They also said it is lucky they had to open her up because otherwise the infection could have just killed her.
Thanks guys. Fera made it through the night. Today is crucial to her ultimate survivial. She is laying quietly at the vets office with her blanket and IV, banging her tail on the side of the crate whenever someone talks to her.
The vet's say that it is up to Fera now. The antibiotics will either turn her around fairly quickly or the infection will take over her body. The vets feel that whatever happened here was very quick, this infection was not something that was lingering in her system for very long.
We are hoping that the blood and tissue work will give us some insight. It is just so strange. There are no cuts, scrapes, bites, etc anywhere. They checked over her entire body when she was out. We may never know and but I hate that.
Thank you all for your prayers and jingles. Hopefully we will see some improvement as the day goes on.
Is there an update on the Corgi? He/she is in my thoughts and prayers.