The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Body Clipping Question??

I have seen a few horses who are left with a little patch (about the size of a gel pad) unclipped under the saddle. What is the purpose of this? Is it just for jumpers?
    scr.ew them hunters

~barka.lounger

Can you bath your horse after clipping? there are always posts about clipped horses bucking afterwards & stray prickly hairs from clipping are often blamed with a thorough bath recommended as a solution.

If your saddle is a poor fit or slips, horse may be more irritated due to the lack of protective hair.

Also as the hair regrows it goes through that prickly stage, so hair bending the wrong direction may irritate when undersaddle.

This obviously depends very much on how sensitive your horse is.

I do know some people that do a complete clip & nothing special afterwards BUT they also don't ride the same day or even next day ... ie plan the clip when expecting the horse to be off for a few days.

The back of my saddle pad used to rub my pony's back after I clipped him so I leave a patch of hair there. The saddle pads wouldn't rub when he had a normal coat, I think it was just from the hair was pricklier and catching on the pads.

My horse can get rubs from small (barely seen) seams in saddle pads, so I leave an unshaven pad there. I used the outline of my half pad. I also didn't do his legs or face, but think I would have left the saddle pad to protect his sensitive skin regardless. I think it looks totally goofy, and have never done that with another horse, but he is just so sensitive it seemed the smart way to go. (It was also his first time being clipped, ever, and I worried how he would react to the feel of saddle pad without hair all of a sudden, as well as while it was growing back.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

One of my students body clipped her own horse (for the first time) and he has an exceptionally high wither. She didn't leave the hair in the saddle area, and he ended up with a pretty big rub on his wither that didn't really "heal" up nicely until the hair grew back. Needlesstosay, this year we shall leave the hairy saddlepad!
    www.CastleHeartFarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, Equitation and Ponies
    Don't practice until you do it right, practice until you can't do it wrong!

Keeps them from getting rubs or being sensitive. I always leave a furry "half pad" on them.

kelsey97,
    Is it just done on jumpers? Never seen them on a hunter, but my guy gets little rubs from his saddle pad
    scr.ew them hunters

~barka.lounger