The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CANTER ottb opinions please

this horse is not for me, but for a friend who wants something for mostly foxhunting, trails, and some jumping (nothing over 3 feet) she has had two ottbs and is willing and able to put in any/all time needed for retraining.

she has entrusted me with finding her a good prospect and i like this guy, but i just started looking tonight- any thoughts, critiques or otherwise?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

I like him..He sure is a beefcake, as expected, since he sprinted mainly @ 6f.
    Id like to see that shoulder open up at a walk and see what hes like, mentally, since sprinters can be intense.

lol- i was thinking earlier- well sprinting would play well for those quick runs from 0 to mach 3 out in the hunt field- and i agree about the beefcake- im always attrtacted to those types!

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

his stance in the back is weird. like he's spreading his back legs, getting ready to slide on ice, or an earthquake or something. maybe they walked him in a tight circle...
    other than a long back, and upright shoulder, and tied in tight at the LF knee, nothing really glares out at me to not look into him further.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Not really a like for me, I get down to his knees and ankles, and he looks tied-in at the knee, and very narrow around the pastern bones.
    I do like his face, and the rest of his shape, in general.

thanks big grey for the link!

i think he might look longer than he really is because of his weight.

the over at the knee doesnt matter so much for a foxhunter- really, there are some conformational nightmares out there- as long as they are sound and sane!

does anyone else see a weird bump on his outside left hind ankle or is that just a weird picture thing?

Call Jessi P. the trainer...she is a COTHer I believe and a straight shoot.

Having taken thousands of horse photo's The blurry from rain and lack of light is creating alot of illussion. Lumps bumps puffness etc..
    I would look at the horse in person or get some good shot in clear clean light.

He is spradle legged behind because they didn't set him up right not because he has an issue. Trainers and in the rain want it done and over QUICK no time to fuss.

He looks for $1200. to be a nice find...but does quick and uncomplicated mean no vetting??

He's built a lot like a Seattle Slew grandbaby I know. Same back end - including seeming start of a hunter bump. The guy I know isn't stopped by it at all, no seeming soreness or sourness or anything. He's also very mellow in temperament despite having been a sprinter.

That makes me like him automatically, as the guy I know is one of my favorite horses who don't belong to me. (He also just got a 70% showing at training level at a dressage show, so his movement isn't bad either!)

There are lots of things I could pick on with this horse, but the overall picture of balance and willingness to stand there and let them take photos - and he has a pleasant expression in the process - in the rain says good things to me. I don't think he's the best horse in the world, but especially for the desired use, I think he could likely work out well. Of course if his soundness checks out, etc.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The most important body part for a foxhunter (if he's sound) is his brain.

My current foxhunter was a sprinter and he's amazing in the field but it was a long road. It took him some time to come to terms with not being first!

If this guy is sound after a long career and has come to decide that being first isn't important to him, I think he's cute.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Over at the knee is usually not a problem. It can look funny, but these horses tend to stay sound.

Tied-in at the knee can be a big one, because the tendon and ligament attachments are made over a smaller area, and thus have more force on them- making the horse more susceptible to problems there. I'm not big on a horse with more susceptibility to injure his tendons or ligaments. Just my 2 cents.

I love everything about his left front leg.

over at the knee is great. usually = soundness in the soft tissues.

that horse in the other thread...Gone West or something like that.
    No good. I will never buy a horse for dressage purposes (eventing included) that has white only on one side. It makes them look lop sided and lame.

One white
    diagonal whites
    or two fronts and/or 2 hinds only.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I will never buy a horse for dressage purposes (eventing included) that has white only on one side. It makes them look lop sided and lame.

not to a halfways decent judge it doesn't.

He looks very clean for 54 starts. If he hadn't lasted I would be concerned about his amount of bone but obviously he held up. My only concern would be temperament as he will be asked to adapt to a whole new life after being a confirmed racehorce for many years. If he is cool about change he would be wonderful for hunting and maybe for many other things too. http://www.pedigreequery.com/malibu+beau it is a nice pedigree for sport. It is a lot of sprint blood on top but as someone else said as long as he doesn't have a quick hot temperament too, no problem. PatO

I like him. He's got a great face. Looks pretty up hill. Looks like he should be able to jump.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **