The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by erfarrell View Post

I also second Brydelle Farm's suggestion for some vegetarian options. Or better yet: vegan!
    Yes! Thirded!

Falafel in a pita stuffed w/ veggies/hummus/tahini makes an awesome lighter sandwich with lots of protein. A falafel cart, smoothies/fresh juice, and a Starbucks-on-wheels or something.. where they could make you a soy latte.. would be a dream come true!

granola, fresh fruit or fruit cups, juices- something other than cokes/lemonade/water. Smoothies would be fun, I'd be tempted to share mine with the horse
    Protein bars or energy bars are yummy. I know this probably would raise some eyebrows but the energy bars for golf- they're called 1st Tee and 10th Tee- are so, so, dang yummy. Maybe that company makes something marketed towards equestrians?? (Now i'm curious...)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Man, I knew I wasn't the only veggie @ the shows!

BTW, this thread is making me hungry!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Quesadillas! And smoothies when it's hot.

Good sushi. Fruit salad that is fresh, with big eough pieces to eat with fingers - not a plastic fork. Things that don't drip onto show clothes.

At our local venue, they do great salad flatbread rollups - smoked salmon, tandoori chicken. A bit ex-y but a good size (not too big or with too much bread) and always fresh.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Grilled cheese!
    I love good healthy food, but nothing beats a grilled cheese sammich at a horse show!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I'm a vegetarian, too! I don't eat much during the day when I'm showing, but the espresso cart is a must have, I daresay I select the shows we go to based on whether or not I think the coffee will be good there! But we live and show a lot in the NW so that's not hard.

The snow cones are awesome when it's hot. And wine slushies, wow I've never heard of that, but what a great idea!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I'm not vegetarian (in fact far from it haha) BUT on show days, I think I become one. Good, fresh veggies and fruits will calm my stomach at any given time. The fruits/veggies pack a punch in vitamins and water content too, so they're super good for you.

After I get through my classes, THEN I want the good ol fillings stuff haha.

Sometimes, just fruit cups and gooooood juice bottles would be nice to have.

The trainer I go to in CO had a show with a taco wagon...omg I ate prolly 2 burritos and a quesadilla one day...THEN showed. SO GOOD.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

The catering truck that comes to many of our county shows offers a huge variety. In addition to the usual tacos, quesadillas, grilled cheese (my go to food when I don't know the catering truck b/c I figure it would have to be really bad to make me sick), burgers, breakfast sandwiches and so on she also sells chopped-up strawberries and watermelon, an assortment of whole fruit, salads, and really good tuna and chicken salad sandwiches. Plus her prices are reasonable.

I'll tend to bring my own food if we're hauling in for the day and I'm not sure I want to leave my horse tied to a trailer while I go looking for food and will also bring something to munch on during the day. Will definitely bring food if I go someplace like LAEC that has high-priced and not terribly good food.

We had a catering truck come in at the college where I teach when they were tearing up the cafeteria and my colleagues were quite impressed with how well I knew my way around one.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    The smootie lady (don't know her real name) sells grilled cheese, amazing salads, humus/veggie plate, and (my favorite) a plate with fruit, cheese and crackers. She constantly has people in line. she also sells smooties, coffee/tea drinks, milkshakes...
    Is this the nice lady who was at Wellington Dressage show just recently? Her stuff is great and she refilled my fresh brewed tea for free!

I was at a show two weekends ago, and for the three days, I never once visited the restuarant/cafe. The horse show moms from my barn, plus other riders, always keep the table in front of the tack stall very well-stocked with food and beverages, especially water.

For the chilly weather, fall shows, it's often great hearty chili from a crockpot, with cheese and sourcream, etc. I think the next show I go to I'll try to make a bunch of wrap sandwiches, which should be pretty easy. Buy a pound of roastbeef, turkey, and ham, american cheese, lettuce, tortilla wraps, and just start rolling until you've got nothing left

I always pack my own food. I am a "do it myself" rider so I hardly have time or energy to eat at shows! I start the day off with a tall calorie-laden mocha, usually brought to me by a loving friend. I usually will scarf down a few bites of a Kashi granola bar or peanutbutter sandwich or some string cheese in between braiding, grooming, and getting ready for my next class. At the end of the day I will buy something from the cart if they have a light/healthy option, or eat from my cooler if they don't. Pita sandwiches are my favorite. If there was a vendor serving Gyros? man, that would be awesome!

Man, I knew I wasn't the only veggie @ the shows!
    I bring my own. It's cheaper and we get what we want. The exception being Trixie's desperately needed "eggy cheese sammich".

Packed with her in mind are tortellini salad w/sundried tomatoes and artichokes, Cheddar/Broccoli Quiche, Roasted Veggie roll ups, tomato & goat cheese tartlets and fresh fruit salad. The rest of us get barbecue along with the purely veggie stuff.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

A proper egg and cheese sandwich.

Other than that, I horse show with ETBW. Recent spreads have included quiche – choices of asparagus/swiss and cheddar/broccoli – eggplant vegetable wraps, 7-layer Mexican dip, brie with crackers or baguette pieces, fresh vegetable crudités with blue cheese dressing, pulled pork barbeque, 3-cheese tortellini salad, sandwiches with avocado, tomato, sprouts, good cheese, and dukes, and shall we not forget the fresh fruit bowls (optionally vodka soaked fruit), champagne grapes, and chilled beer and wine selections?

I may, perhaps, be a tiny bit spoiled.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I have no problems with sandwiches, but the bread used by the vendor at our local A shows is terrible - it always seems stale. Give me some good, fresh, crusty, white bread and I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Other than that, I horse show with ETBW.

I may, perhaps, be a tiny bit spoiled.

If only we were all so lucky
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    The smootie lady (don't know her real name) sells grilled cheese, amazing salads, humus/veggie plate, and (my favorite) a plate with fruit, cheese and crackers. She constantly has people in line. she also sells smooties, coffee/tea drinks, milkshakes...
    The smoothie lady's truck is good I love her [free refills] fresh brewed ice tea (no sugar added) and healthier food choices.

I also like the pitas/wraps with turkey, tuna or grilled chicken. Salads would be nice, too. For the cold weather (ugh!), soups/chili are good, too.

I'm with Trixie, you must have egg and cheese sandwiches. They are soo good and soo bad Even if I have brought meals/snacks, it is not a horse show if I don't indulge in one during the day/week I am at a show.

Sweet tea, fruit plates/bowls and lighter sandwich fare -- if I'm showing. If I'm standing around just watching the classes, I'll eat pretty much anything.
    The dude abides ...

There are some things that many of you do not know. One is if you run a USEF horse show you are required to have a food provider at all times the show is under operation. I understand that many of you want to bring your own banquet, and believe me I get it. I am a foodie. But some of us try to provide really good horse show food. Please help us continue to give you good food by purchasing at least some of your food from the supplier. It is almost impossible to provide quality food, or for that matter any food if you do not support the food provider. No provider will show up for us. Just a different point of view that maybe you haven't thought of.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

I always do buy an egg and cheese. We haven't figured out how to package those in a manner that is not disgusting.

But, when you add up all the fees of showing and training and trailering and gas and everything else? This is somewhere that we CAN save a little money. Especially in this economy, when show management basically has you over a barrel for everything else - it makes it a little harder to swallow to then spend money on another expense that adds up.

Also, as a vegetarian, it can be really hard when your options are hamburgers, hot dogs, and maybe fries - and you're showing several horses and could really use a proper meal. I refuse to be stuck hungry at a show in nowheresville again with nothing to eat and nowhere to pick up something. And it happens fairly consistently.

Fox Chase recently posted on their facebook that they were having crepes available at the show. Assuredly, I would've bought some of those.
    Last edited by Trixie; Feb. 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
    ---
    They're small hearts.