The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Show Food

Since no one wants to eat anything heavy (or at least most don't) that is going to sit like a rock in your belly while your riding, what do you like to see at the concession stands at horse shows? And do you like when they sell carrots and apples for your barn buds too? Or - do you pack your own because you never know what's going to be available or to save money?

I woud really like to see more salads and sandwiches at shows. I know its harder to do at local shows because if it doesn't sel, it will go bad, but I'm a pretty healthy eater and try to avoid byrgers and the like unless I'm fighting a serious craving. I like when they have apples and carrots too, because ill usuay splut those with my horses!

I agree salads are good! One of our local show circuits pulls off a really nice chicken caesar salad in a tiny food truck so it can be done. I do hate paying $6 for a tiny hotdog

$1 for one carrot for my horse? no thanks, bring my own.

if it is a little cold outside I always want a good low fat Chili at horse shows-- it would be easy to do with a big crock pot.--

Also Veggies and a good Hummus dip might sell well-- not quite a salad but easier to store/prepare.

for breakfast items-- Yogurt, fruit, granola--coffee-hot herbal tea.

if it is sweltering hot outside-- fruit smoothies.- popsicles

I like the shows that sell carrots for a quarter or whatever. I think a small snowball machine with a few different basic flavors would be nice to have for cooling off if that's doable. I personally wouldn't be inclined to have a salad, but I'm sure others would. I personally don't eat at all until after my classes, just have sips of water all day.

nothing that will require a lot of use of the portapotty!!!!!

I love the food served at the vermont circuit..... the top hat truck. the BEST Ceasar (sp) salads and sandwiches, with freshly baked french baguettes. For every other show I always took all my own food and set up for customers. It was part of their tackroom charge......and they loved it.

what about reselling "healthy" type granola bars? (Kashi?)

Our horse show food stand has burgers, nachos, and pancakes, and we love it. I LIVE in the porta-john!
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

vegetarian selections
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

I always bring my own because I'm highly allergic to a big group of foods, plus I know I'll like what I brought.

OTOH, there were a few shows I went to where there was a stand that made quesadillas and tacos, and it was amazing! They just used a panini maker but those things were delicious!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Paninis, crepes, maybe "healthier" burgers like turkey burgers. Energy bars would be great as well. NON-greasy Mexican food! An Icee or snow-cone machine would be AMAZING in the summer!

The smootie lady (don't know her real name) sells grilled cheese, amazing salads, humus/veggie plate, and (my favorite) a plate with fruit, cheese and crackers. She constantly has people in line. she also sells smooties, coffee/tea drinks, milkshakes...
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I love the crepe station at Lamplight/Equifest!

I also second Brydelle Farm's suggestion for some vegetarian options. Or better yet: vegan!

Hummus and veggies sounds good too.

Now I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Brydelle Farm View Post
    vegetarian selections
    Yes please!

I'd love to see more smoothies, awesome way to get good calories and nourishment in the belly without making you feel too full or otherwise yucky in the saddle.

I'd also love to see more veggies and hummus, and sandwiches other than burgers.

While I'm a preparer and always bring my own horse treats, I do appreciate when they sell carrots and apples, as sometimes like to be able to indulge my horses with extra extras

ooh, and SMOOTHIES!

One of our local wineries makes wine slushies at all of our summer festivals.....always thought that would be a great addition to summer horse shows for the adults

Our barn is so fortunate to have a fabulous "horse-husband" - who puts together a great mixture of food and drink (the spread is so nice looking he often has other people come by wanting to buy a sandwich, or whatever. Personally, smoothies, or protein drinks are great to have when you need something quick and nutritious that is not too difficult to digest. Something that's not too messy!

Our barn is so fortunate to have a fabulous "horse-husband" - who puts together a great mixture of food and drink (the spread is so nice looking he often has other people come by wanting to buy a sandwich, or whatever. Personally, smoothies, or protein drinks are great to have when you need something quick and nutritious that is not too difficult to digest. Something that's not too messy!

Depending on the size of your show, many of the people that will be purchasing food will not be riders. I love Mike and Andrea from Showday Cafe. They do a lot with wraps in the summer with healthy fillings. And gazpacho on a hot day is a big seller and yummy.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

I LOVE when shows have smoothies, I always get one. I also agree with energy bars. I remember when I did NCEL shows my favorite thing was there was always mac and cheese! I wish every show would make some. Salad and grilled cheese are also delicious.

Grilled cheese!