The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Troxel helmets for daily use.

Troxel helmets for daily use. Are these o.k.?

I believe someone said that they did not like them because they don't stay stable on the head very well in the event of a fall even with proper fit and snug chin strap & all. Comments?

Anyone have a Troxel model, with good coverage, that seems quite stable? Good ventilation a plus.

Thanks.

I use the Troxel Datoka. Before that I had the Legacy (but they changed how the styles fit, no matter what they say, as the new version doesn't fit my head.) The only reason it would not stay on your head is if it's the wrong size. I can't see the point of blowing a bunch of money on pricier helmets just to hack around the farm when these work perfectly well.

I've used a troxel helmet for every schooling ride for the past 6 or 7 years. I'm currently using this one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...6&cm_vc=Search

It fits me just fine. I don't have any problems with it moving around or anything. And coming from someone who has falled off A LOT, it has certainly saved my head a few times.

It's a good helmet for those on a budget.

I used to use a Troxel for every day wear and save my nice helmet for shows/clinics. However, I stopped when had two separate Troxel helmets start coming apart after just a year or so of wear. Basically, they did not last well, perhaps related to the daily use. Also, I had a fall with a Troxel helmet pushed forward on my head and the brim cut my face.

If you are on a budget and that is the only helmet you can afford, fine, just take care of it and inspect it regularly for wear. But if you own a nice CO or GPA, for goodness sakes, use it.

It's MHO that even the nice helmets have a limited lifespan. Sure, any helmet is going to last a little longer if you save it for shows, but probably by the end of five years (maybe less?) you need a new helmet either way. So, might as well use it!

I've used Troxels as my only helmet for at least 15 years, since I stopped showing. I've fallen off in them numerous times, and they stayed right where they were supposed to be. However, I just went to replace my last one, and the sizing is definitely different. My last helmet was a Legacy Gold Duratec from 2005, size M, and when I went to try on the new version of the exact same helmet, the sizing is definitely different. They're much more round now - the size large was too big side-to-side and too small front-to-back. I ended up with a Tipperary instead.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

If you're looking for an affordable, comfortable, well-ventilated schooling helmet for daily use try the Tipperary Sportage. I know some don't like the look of them so much, but they are fantastic.

Though I dont have experiene with Troxel helmets, the ASTM/SEI approval is the same for ALL helmets. Your best bet is to go to a tack store and try a bunch of helmets on. Find one that is comfortable for YOU.

When they first changed the law back in the day for Juniors to where approved helmets, our options were VERY limited. I got stuck with a Charles Owen Show Jumper that I absolutey hated, but it fit me the closest out of the other helmets available. I schooled in my unapproved, unharnessed helmet forever, because it fit my head, and stayed on, where as the CO helmet that was "safer" wiggled too much. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that a helmet that doesnt fit you, can cause more harm than good, and your melon is shaped differently then every single other melon out there!

I wear a Troxel Dakota for schooling, and have never had a problem with it slipping or falling off. I've used the same model for years, and even in head-crunching falls it has always stayed put (and been replaced immediately thereafter, of course!).

If your helmet is properly fastened (no dangling chin straps!) and slipping or coming off (), then it doesn't fit. It doesn't matter one whit what brand it is, it simply is not the right helmet for your head. No one type of helmet fits everyone.

My Dakota fits like it was custom-made for my head, but sadly it is five years old so due for replacement this year, and the new ones do not. I need to head out to a tack shop this summer where I can try on lots of models and see what the next one will be (but whatever it might be, it will NOT cost more than $100! ).
    Proud member of the EDRF

I had a traditional looking velvet Troxel that I wore for about 5 years, and fell off while wearing it several times, it stayed in place just as well as my much more expensive GPA does. The fit is what is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    I've used Troxels as my only helmet for at least 15 years, since I stopped showing. I've fallen off in them numerous times, and they stayed right where they were supposed to be. However, I just went to replace my last one, and the sizing is definitely different. My last helmet was a Legacy Gold Duratec from 2005, size M, and when I went to try on the new version of the exact same helmet, the sizing is definitely different. They're much more round now - the size large was too big side-to-side and too small front-to-back. I ended up with a Tipperary instead.
    They absolutely changed it. My brother used to ride in a Troxel Sport (iirc) for schooling, and when he went to replace it last year, it did NOT fit. He ended up with an IRH (which tells me IRH would never fit my head--we're complete opposites as far as head shape/helmet fit goes.)

Thanks all.

Yes, I know fit is of primary importance. I had originally asked ("even with proper fit and snug chin strap & all"), actually, . . .

Sad to hear they changed the fit. Local tack shop does not have a good selection of lower priced helmets.

Have you seen Troxels new color - chestnut brown? Love it.