The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default question for people who winter in Aiken

We are finishing a studio apartment that we intend to use as a seasonal rental. The question is, the kitchen area is very small. I had intended to put in a full size stove and refrigerator but we have just figured out that there isn't really room for the stove. We can put one in, but there would be no real counter space.

I don't remember cooking much when I was in my early 20's, and I am not sure how much cooking people do when they come down for a month or something. I am thinking of just putting in a 2 burner cook top and a combo microwave/confection oven. I really need feedback as to whether not having a regular stove would make someone less likely to want to rent the apartment and/or whether it would affect the amount of rent you would be willing to pay.

The apartment is 1 mile from the PSJ show grounds, 1/2 mile from Aiken so good access to restaurants and food. About 10 min from Three Run Plantation and Bridle Creek, 15 min from Full Gallop. I have two matted stalls, 3 double fenced no climb large grass paddocks and about 250 acres of hilly trails.

You might want to consider an undercounter refrigerator rather than a full-size one--I've got a 2 drawer one in my kitchen and it holds a lot of stuff... Makes for much more room for horse meds in the big one out in the laundry room