The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Default COTH MAGIC works AGAIN! Scoppiano FOUND and HAPPY!!!

Last edited by ASB Stars; Feb. 24, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Sadly, people don't typicallly go to a "dealer" or an auction to buy a horse to "retire to a field". And most dealers don't really bother questioning potential buyers.

This is the line I was given by the dealer to whom an unnamed college sent my sweet old mare whom they didn't want any more after I'd donated her with a buy-back option. The dealer apologetically told me the mare had gone to an auction, and as she was 20, small, and nothing special, I have no delusions as to where she ended up.

I hope beyond hope that someone might recognize that striking, handsome face, though, and make a happy ending.
    Click here before you buy.

Well, I was sort of hoping someone here might have seen him, as we are a far-flung group!

So sad..

What was it - it's been flagged for removal???
    "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

It's been flagged for removal before I could look at it.

Whatever it was I'm very very glad my trainer couldn't bring herself to dispose of a non-paying horse even though her business needed to, and that we could take the old guy and give him the retirement that everybody hopes they'll get. I regret to say that it's expensive and not something that anybody can do.

And DW, I'm really sorry about your old horse.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It's still in my web cache- ain't technology grand? Here's the text of the ad (can't copy the pictures but he is an adorable light bay with a left lopsided white blaze and 3 or4? -hard to see in the pic- white feet):

"I am looking for any information regarding the current whereabouts and condition of this horse. I bred raised and loved this horse for 12 years. Then tragedy hit and I needed to sell him to cover vet bills for his half brother (who did not make it after all).
    Scoppiano was sold by me to a woman who said she would be a "forever home" on June 24, 2009 - I even trailer-ed him there and went for one last trail ride- he was to live happily hunter pacing and trial riding. He was sold with a buy back option**- That person then said he was too much horse and sent to the dealer that fall. She sold him with in months of owning him.

He was sold by the dealer "After a career as a show hunter" and marked as retired to a field.
    It is my fear that in that short time, he went from sound to crippled and may have ended up at auction. Prior to my selling him- he was NOT a show horse- but my personal pleasure mount- any shows he did do were dressage and one event, and some hunter paces. I never had any soundness issues with this horse. Scoppiano is the true tragedy - does he have a good life or is he suffering?

Any information on his current status? Please let me know. I have information that will be helpful for the current owner - and to Scoppiano's well being and happiness.

Scoppiano, 1998 TB/TK Gelding Stands 16.1Hands"

*Oof*, that's even worse than I thought.
    Okay, I'm glad that I have integrity and if I were to think Snort was too much for me I'd return him at once to my trainer, rather than SELL a 24 going on 25 year old man to some unknown fate without her knowledge. And I'm proud that we did our deal on a handshake and that is good enough.

I hope Scoppianno is in a better place and my best wishes to the former owner.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default Thank you

I can't help but wonder the true fate of Scoppiano. He was a sensitive guy that wouldn't perform well for just anyone. He preferred certain tack, and a very specific way of being shod... All this and so much more specific information was given when I sold him to the "forever home" I strongly suspect that the 'manual to Scoppiano' that I made - was not passed along. I believe he did and perhaps is still suffering for these idiosyncrasies.
    I would love to know that he is happy in a field, but my heart tells me other wise. I need to know. Any help is truly appreciated. He was never supposed to leave me.- I still use his name for my email, and have been for over 13 years.
    I have several pictures, but can they be put here?
    Last edited by scoppiano; Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: mistaken use of quote

So sorry to hear - I truly am as my boy sounds exactly like yours. He is definitely a one owner/rider kinda guy and is happy living out his retirement with me and getting spoiled rotten.

Our trust is so often betrayed and it just sucks.
    "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Sorry for the delay - internet issues. He is a lovely looking boy, I hope you find him!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scopi_body.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	32054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scopi6pcs.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	32055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3boys.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	32056  
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

And more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presentation1b.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	32058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presentation1a.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	32059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presentation1c.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	32060  
    Last edited by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"; Feb. 19, 2011 at 02:33 AM.

Hey, Scoppiano!

I just felt so badly for you, I thought that maybe the COTHers could work some of their magic for you.

Bump!

what do you mean bump?

It means we add a post, for content, sure, but also to keep the topic toward the top of the list, so that more people will see it.

Default in search of Scoppiano

For those of you that may not know - I am very grateful for all of the interest in finding Scoppiano. It was truly a deal gone sour. Image being in the position where you had no choice but to sell the horse you bred, raised and loved- for money to pay vet bills for his half brother (whom I died as a result of complications).
    I guess it was like choosing between two children- anyway- It felt horrible, but I was comforted by the buy-back clause in my contract. It was only after he was sent to the consignment barn- that I was told.... and never given the option. There he was represented to be something that in the 12 years he was with me, he never was. In the end he was mark sold for next to nothing money wise, and certainly a sum I would have gladly paid to have him home.
    As I said, it was start to finish the worse 10 months I could have imagined. I have been involved with horses my entire life, and grew up competing with the Dam of Scoppiano... so the tied for me goes back into the late 80's...
    I am grateful for any information. IF you know him and he is OK - then let me know. I do have pictures and lots of information to share, that will make him a happy and calm citizen... IF he is not, then I want to do what ever I can to ensure he is. IF he has been met with the most unfortunate fate, then please let me have that closure. The unknown is torture to the heart and mind.
    Thank you

Okay- this sounds like a long shot but... the groups of people who list horses on FB to pull them from dealer lots and auctions have been very active for the past year. Maybe going through old pics from these groups???

I'll take a look myself but I've unfriended so many of them, maybe other COTHer's can look too.

Edited to add: We had given away a sound and well trained horse to a lady 'experienced rider w/ great references' and within a month she dumped the sound horse and he ended in a feedlot. These type of people just suck. I wish they'd stick to breyer horses and not the real thing.

I am so very very sorry and hope that you find him or the closure that you are looking for ...

{{{HUGS}}}

Bump. Anyone see Scoppiano? Info posts 7 & 16, pictures 11 & 12.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Feb. 22, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Shared this on a different small board with several PA/NJ/MD folks on it: really hoping you find your boy, Just a sad deal.